Lump sum health fund for self insuring Brit.

Grecian

54. Living in thailand but spend couple of months every year in the uk. NHS seems to be going down the pan.

None smoker, very modest drinker, little junk food, plenty of fruit and veg. Low stress. Reasonably active. Appropriate weight.

But breath Thailand air, consume Thai pesticides, probably poorish genetics. ( No old bones in the family, then again nobody lived as healthy as I do)

Self insured till now. will put a lump sum to one side for the rest of my life. But the million bht question is how much?

Edited by Grecian

How long is a piece of string ? In my family my Mother and her sister were identical twins so although not a geneticist, I assume their genes and hence their bodies were almost identical too, in theory.  My Mother was proud of the fact that the only time she needed support from the National health service was by a visiting midwife when she gave birth to myself and my sister. Never visited a doctor in her lifetime, except that is when she was suddenly taken to hospital after collapsing and a few hours later passing away from a brain hemorrhage at the age of 71. So her lifetime cost for treatment by modern standards was minimal. Conversely, her twin Sister had health problems throughout middle age onwards with several hospital stays and minor ops. At 78 she had a triple heart by-pass at Addenbrokes and went on to live to 96 when she passed away.  I wouldn't like to guess if you had to put a cost to it how much here lifetime treatment would have cost.

Whilst of course those twins I appreciate are not you and you are currently only 54, it is an example of how you cannot second guess what amount of money you may need for future treatment, it could be minimal or on the other hand a huge amount.

• Like 1