Nz 2nd worst country to live in

Sparktrader

55 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

As my Dad (oldest of 11 children who grew up in the Great Depression in the US) used to joke:  "Money isn't everything, but it sure helps." But a majority of them worked their way up to very successful careers.  My 6 Thai in-laws who I sponsored to come to the USA maybe 10 or so years back did OK.  But they got jobs, worked hard and enjoyed life. 

No experience of US so I would guess as an immigrant allowed in USA and getting work is a lot better than an immigrant getting work in Thailand without assistance. 

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

An area with hardly any people. It's the places with people that seem to be the problem now.

It'd be pointless discussing the myriad problems facing NZ on here, given they seem to be endemic in most western countries.

What concerns me is that most western countries seem to be suffering the same problems, so it's like there are no good western alternatives, though apparently many NZers are heading to Australia, where they at least get paid a decent wage. NZ is apparently now a low wage, high cost of living country. It's certainly noticeable at the supermarket and petrol country.

Apologies. Just noticed the last sentence which should read "It's certainly noticeable at the supermarket and petrol station.

Too late to edit the post.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, thainet said:

Your statement is a bit over the top, but yes it is true that many NZ'ers are going to OZ for better wages, plus the probable law change that covers kiwis for health/social services while in Aussie.

But on the flip side NZ is starting to get many Aussie tourists now that travel is easier.

Yeah we go on holidays. Kiwis come and never leave. 

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

I always wonder about right wing, Trumpy people living in places with lavish social benefits and health care that most Americans can only dream of.

A fiercely proclaiming anti-PC person in a place like NZ or Oz would find themselves in America on the political spectrum not far from a centrist like Joe Biden. Man, that's gotta sting.

Nice to posture as the free thinking rebel when ol Daddy USA guarantees your military safety -which allows you your fabulous social safety nets. 

Refuse medical care and triple your taxes to defend yourselves. That's exactly what Trump has asked of you. Any takers?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I have to agree with newspaper article, but I'm not going into the real reasons why it's not the place I want to live in, though PC, too much bureaucracy and over regulation are high on the list.

I've lived in several countries and while Antarctica is top of the list ( I know it's not a country per se ) it's not possible to retire there, but Thailand is second. Not a day goes by I don't wish I was still living there.

But do you regret all the time wasted in Chiang  Mai?

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, LaosLover said:

I always wonder about right wing, Trumpy people living in places with lavish social benefits and health care that most Americans can only dream of.

A fiercely proclaiming anti-PC person in a place like NZ or Oz would find themselves in America on the political spectrum not far from a centrist like Joe Biden. Man, that's gotta sting.

Nice to posture as the free thinking rebel when ol Daddy USA guarantees your military safety -which allows you your fabulous social safety nets. 

Refuse medical care and triple your taxes to defend yourselves. That's exactly what Trump has asked of you. Any takers?

The USA guarantees our insecurity by its war mongering and destabilisation of nations throughout  the world. The USA is a force for evil in many ways- The war on drugs  for example. A bullying  behemoth that bestrides the world. Ask  the people of Afghanistan about American protection. Only certain Americans have this naive view of a world grateful to America as a shining  beacon of whatever.

• Thanks 1

Broadly (like, very broadly) agree with what you say, but either we believe in the concept of The West or we don't.  And if we do, we should hang together.

As to bully America, if it weren't for us being over-reaching idiots, NZ people wouldn't need to visit China; they'd already be standing in it.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 7:56 AM, timendres said:

The only "figure" provided was the 500 GBP per month for energy bills, and that figure is coming straight from the UK government.

Its what some experts are predicting it may be in January of next year. however a lot can happen before then. The last time they said energy prices were going to rise they actually only rose approx 50% of the actual quotes. That's not saying it won't happen but the figures will still be high. Government could simply lower the tax on it. but why would they, ching ching, more money for them. instead just give all the unemployed lazy <deleted> £400 to spend on cigarette's and takeaways, its cheaper.

Can anyone name a single republican who wants government supported medical care at NZ levels?

No. That would even be more liberal than what Biden wants.

Your no doubt enlightened views on assault weapons? Pretty leftist by US standards.

You cosplay as conservatives -but do you even go out in the woods and kill Bambi? No.

Keep stamping your pretty little feet. Daddy will still protect you.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

But do you regret all the time wasted in Chiang  Mai?

When did I ever give the impression that I didn't like living in C M? the night life was worse than rubbish compared to Pattaya, but I had a nice life there otherwise.

Any day lived in LOS isn't wasted. I'd rather have lived in  Pattaya, but C M was cheaper.

17 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Can anyone name a single republican who wants government supported medical care at NZ levels?

No. That would even be more liberal than what Biden wants.

Your no doubt enlightened views on assault weapons? Pretty leftist by US standards.

You cosplay as conservatives -but do you even go out in the woods and kill Bambi? No.

Keep stamping your pretty little feet. Daddy will still protect you.

Don't know to whom you are referring but;

public health care in NZ is a far cry from that in the UK, and is expensive to see a GP which we have to do for many drugs available over the counter in LOS. Taxpayers support public health- not the government.

I have no problem with owning weapons. I'd feel safer with an assault rifle than I do without one.

Guns are not the problem- stupid or bad owners are.

I've killed plenty of animals, but I never did it for "sport". If you eat meat, you must by definition support killing animals, and in the case of venison- Bambi.

Daddy isn't around any more. Unfortunately the present government seems to think the military is some sort of social service, and not a lethal arm of government.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:28 PM, LaosLover said:

Broadly (like, very broadly) agree with what you say, but either we believe in the concept of The West or we don't.  And if we do, we should hang together.

As to bully America, if it weren't for us being over-reaching idiots, NZ people wouldn't need to visit China; they'd already be standing in it.

IMO the west is done. Most just don't know it ( yet ).

NZ supported the US in Vietnam. That's worth something, considering the UK didn't.

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If you hate NZ and OZ so much, then, come here....

Maybe you might even learn something....

This place welcomes EVERYBODY.

NZ and OZ are just too BORING for you, and the rest of us.

The problem is it is in the US, so that makes it a non starter. Never had any desire to go there.

With all those mountains in NZ, one might become bored with mountains, sooner than later.

People from NZ love mountains, as everybody knows.

Some have even died on mountains, such as Everest, just because, growing up in NZ, mountains is all they think about.

But, if one can forget the mountains in NZ, and sailing, then there are other frontiers to explore, even some frontiers more worthy than climbing a now-overcrowded, and now-polluted, Everest.

Think about climbing Caltech rather than climbing up and down a mountain, or digging a pit, and then filling it in.

It ups to you, if you got what it takes to qualify.

It will not be easy.

But, no matter how old you might be, if you have the brains, CalTech will accept you.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The problem is it is in the US, so that makes it a non starter. Never had any desire to go there.

In case you don't know by now, major research universities are no longer very much restricted or limited by where they exist, in any given country.

Just restrict yourself to living on campus.

You will be fine.

• Haha 1