Covid-19 in Retrospect

Danderman123

Covid at this time should be treated the same way as flu, which it basically is. The initial overreaction was just massive with each country following China's example despite all the previous pandemic plans instructing otherwise. Consequences will be long lasting and might take decades to reveal.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 10:16 PM, Danderman123 said:

Counting Covid cases: the Deniers liked to point out flaws in the counting methodologies, but the bottom line was that Covid case numbers, if not perfectly accurate, gave a reasonable idea of the number of cases, and the progression of the disease. When Covid was a life and death issue, that was very important.

Could someone volunteer a simple survey

- "I've had Covid, confirmed by a test (ATK or PCR).

- I have have never tested Covid positive.

Assuming people will be honest, as there are some weird attitudes here when it comes to Covid... (or in general).

18 hours ago, mommysboy said:

People too easily forget, or never sought to understand, that the Omicron variant we have today is a different beast from the earlier more dangerous variations.

So true but many want to think that it's the more deadly 2020 version.

I often ask myself would the World close down for Omicron.

4 hours ago, rabang said:

Covid at this time should be treated the same way as flu, which it basically is. The initial overreaction was just massive with each country following China's example despite all the previous pandemic plans instructing otherwise. Consequences will be long lasting and might take decades to reveal.

Except for the millions who died from Covid-19.

19 hours ago, frantick said:

All I'm saying is it's really down to the individual. Many vaccinated die also. Why? 

I'm old, fat, and a smoker,

It’s irrefutable that the unvaccinated are much more likely to die.

So, why do some vaccinated people die from Covid? Old fat smokers are much more vulnerable to Covid,

3 hours ago, rabang said:

Proves my point, didn't help them much.

This disproves your mistaken point. The vaccines helped A LOT in saving people who otherwise would have died -- some 20 million people who are alive today because of them.

COVID-19 vaccines saved an estimated 20 million lives in 1 year

"COVID vaccines reduced the potential global death toll during the pandemic by almost two-thirds in their first year, saving an estimated 19.8 million lives, according to a mathematical modeling study yesterday in The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

The scientists estimated that 18.1 million deaths would have occurred during the study period without vaccination. Of those, the model estimated that vaccination prevented 14.4 million deaths, or 79%. When they accounted for under-reporting, however, they found that COVID vaccination prevented an estimated 19.8 million deaths out of a total of 31.4 million potential deaths that would have occurred without vaccination—a reduction of 63%."

(more)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/06/covid-19-vaccines-saved-estimated-20-million-lives-1-year

• Like 2

Per Johns Hopkins and its Aug. 30 update:

"WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced during an August 25 briefing that 1 million people have died with COVID-19 in 2022 thus far.

According to the WHO, 136 countries failed to reach the June target of vaccinating 70% of their populations. Among those countries, 66 have vaccination coverage below 40% and 10 are below 10%, leaving one-third of the world’s population unvaccinated."

"While 67.6% of the world’s population has received at least one dose of a vaccine—close to the WHO’s recently missed goal of 70% by mid-2022—only 20.9% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose."

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/COVID-19-SituationReports.html

• Like 2