Multi-Vitamins in Thailand

WaveHunter

I have yet to find a quality multiple locally here, and still order from Iherb and Vitacost (have great synergy series) even if sometimes gets caught in customs. Rather random as I keep purchase under $50 but SOMETIMES they add the shipping, and other times they do not - and most times it just sails straight through. PipingRock is good too, but their multiples are not up to the NOW Adam multi the OP requested.

Magnesium Stearate.......

If any of your supplements have this bad ingredient you most likely are not getting all the benefits of your supplements......Its a binder and that's exactly what is does, it binds the supplements too well.....But luckily its not in all supplements... 

Edited by redwood1

On 8/29/2022 at 12:04 PM, fredwiggy said:

Vitamins and supplements, while working somewhat, aren't replacements for actual food. The best way to get vitamins and minerals is from food, and some take more than their body needs, and can handle, are are dangerous. This is the case for E , K and D and A especially, fat soluble vitamins that stay in body cells. Healthy food isn't expensive. The Mediterranean diet, which promotes fish, vegetables, seeds, nuts, grains, potatoes and olive oil, isn't costly, if you include non expensive fish choices.

It is a lost case, people know, but still do not care, because it might work drop a pill with 20 different vitamins and minerals. 

Just take your time (op and those who swear to multivitamins) to read a few available articles on multivitamins, and why you should not take them. 

Her is one

https://www.mdlinx.com/article/dangerous-duos-5-supplement-combos-to-avoid/4clJmVB8yYuNCZjX1sjB2K

Spend the money on bloodwork whenever you feel you need it instead and check what you need, and go from there. Good luck

• Like 1

This really interested podcast just popped up today about nutrient deficiencies and multivitamins. It's a long listen but super interesting if health is important to you. And the bottom line from these two doctors? Multivitamins are highly recommended for all of us.

https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/the-doctors-farmacy-with-mark-hyman-m-d/id1382804627?i=1000579375364

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

This really interested podcast just popped up today about nutrient deficiencies and multivitamins. It's a long listen but super interesting if health is important to you. And the bottom line from these two doctors? Multivitamins are highly recommended for all of us.

https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/the-doctors-farmacy-with-mark-hyman-m-d/id1382804627?i=1000579375364

Important to notice, he stress the point over and over about importance of testing. 

I have followed Mark quite awhile and he is in fact a multimillionaire and deep in to the business, but he have some valid points now and then, but he often come with quasi science and rely on research that could show some results, but not clinical proved. However theoretically he is on point on many things, but it doesnt work like theory as we would like, because it is a bit more complicated than 2+ 2 is 4 when it comes to diet and supplements. 

Another point is, it is the very same receptors who is going to absorbed the vitamins in order using different compounds and compete with others to be taken up and be used beneficial and healthy. Not sure that came out correct because of language barriers. Remember it is the same organs that is handling the excess vitamins, and if you are not living healthy from before, you can add stress and damage to your body, by taking to much vitamins. 

He is good to inspire but his regime is hard for most to optain, and it become a bit sensational and a bit religious. 

AB94D4D0-90A5-4DBA-84A4-23FABCEFD685.png

On 9/20/2022 at 9:19 PM, Hummin said:

It is a lost case, people know, but still do not care, because it might work drop a pill with 20 different vitamins and minerals. 

Just take your time (op and those who swear to multivitamins) to read a few available articles on multivitamins, and why you should not take them. 

Her is one

https://www.mdlinx.com/article/dangerous-duos-5-supplement-combos-to-avoid/4clJmVB8yYuNCZjX1sjB2K

Spend the money on bloodwork whenever you feel you need it instead and check what you need, and go from there. Good luck

I think it's so funny that this forum seems to be a magnet for people that want to turn a simple request like "where to buy a good multivitamin" into an unending esoteric debate that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the thread!

I good multivitamin may not even be necessary for most people but taking one is not going to impair your health one little bit, and for some it may be a very wise move!

I have always been nutrition-conscious and active in sports my whole life.  When I lived in Florida I surfed every day for several hours, and I ate in a very health-conscious way, cooking my own meals and staying away from processed foods.

Considering my excellent nutrition and how much time I spent outdoors under a hot Florida sun, I should have been the last person to develop a Vitamin D deficiency but that's what a blood test revealed!

That is when I started supplementing with a good multivitamin, and a few other vitamin supplements...AFTER researching them thoroughly, and from science-based sources.  I am VERY thorough when it comes to researching health topics, and don't just "read a few articles"

You can believe whatever you like but I think it might be smarter to not just make bold statements to the effect that vitamin supplements are not important for most people, just because you have "read a few articles" to the contrary.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think it's so funny that this forum seems to be a magnet for people that want to turn a simple request like "where to buy a good multivitamin" into an unending esoteric debate that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the thread!

I good multivitamin may not even be necessary for most people but taking one is not going to impair your health one little bit, and for some it may be a very wise move!

I have always been nutrition-conscious and active in sports my whole life.  When I lived in Florida I surfed every day for several hours, and I ate in a very health-conscious way, cooking my own meals and staying away from processed foods.

Considering my excellent nutrition and how much time I spent outdoors under a hot Florida sun, I should have been the last person to develop a Vitamin D deficiency but that's what a blood test revealed!

That is when I started supplementing with a good multivitamin, and a few other vitamin supplements...AFTER researching them thoroughly, and from science-based sources.  I am VERY thorough when it comes to researching health topics, and don't just "read a few articles"

You can believe whatever you like but I think it might be smarter to not just make bold statements to the effect that vitamin supplements are a waste of money, just because you have "read a few articles" to the contrary.

Im all about supplements when needed, and I think you missed the point. Peace out, 

32 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im all about supplements when needed, and I think you missed the point. Peace out, 

I think you miss MY point.  Most people (like me) have no idea they need a supplement until they have a health issue discovered through a blood test (in my case).  Since a good multi supplement has no side effects and really is not that expensive, I simply think of it as a cheap insurance policy that minimizes the change of a deficiency .

You might think that a deficiency would be pretty noticeable but in my case it was not.  I thought I was fine but my doctor was alarmed at how low it was and put me on a one week course of super high Vitamin D before having me switch to a more normal high potency one.

And it also just proves the fallacy that simply being out in the sun will give you all the vitamin D you need; three hours under a hot Florida sun every day in the summer time is intense!  By that reasoning I should have had Vitamin D to spare LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That is a pretty uninformed deduction to infer that zinc picolinate supplement formulations are unsafe, based on the fact that picolinic acid is used in herbicides!

The article you referenced does not even have to do with health concerns of zinc picolinate but is simply a description of herbicides.

Zinc picolinate as a health supplement is a zinc salt of picolinic acid.  It is NOT the same formulation as what is found in herbicides, nor is it the same concentration.

Zinc picolinate health supplements do NOT have any known side effects when used as a health supplement at recommended dosages.

According to a GENUINE health concern study of zinc picolinate, the study concluded that the use of zinc picolinate as a source of zinc, when added for nutritional purposes in food supplements, is NOT a safety concern:

https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2009.1113

I don't mean this as a personal criticism, but so much information that gets posted on this forum is poorly researched, misleading, and nothing more than rubbish.  If you are going to make a bold claim like you infer in your post, do a little more research!

Most research that's done here is to argue with someone else, and a lot of it is done on the spot. Like I mentioned, and you rebutted, most supplements are a waste of money, UNLESS they are needed because of a deficiency. There is NO substitute for a healthy, varied diet. If you cannot eat such, you are cutting corners and trying to replace what you aren't eating with a pill, which yes, helps, but again, isn't a substitute for the food. Some people have certain conditions which warrant supplement use, and a lot of them are because they didn't follow a healthy lifestyle originally. I have been weight training for 48 years, and have always followed a healthy diet to this day, and have supplemented with some things just to see if I could increase strength. I have always eaten a healthy, varied diet, and have had no signs of deficiencies whatsoever. I have been certified as a trainer, with nutritional classes, four times. Nothing has changed in decades as far as what a healthy diet is, besides fads that are temporary fixes, and don't work in the long run. Again, unless you have a deficiency caused by a disease or genetically, taking multivitamins are not a substitute for a healthy diet, which everyone besides the very poor can afford. If you aren't working all day long, you always have time to eat healthy, and can make things in advance, and buy healthy most everywhere. Also, a lot of links people provide, just to argue without prior knowledge, are just other's opinions and not based on facts or studies.

Edited by fredwiggy

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, fredwiggy said:

Most research that's done here is to argue with someone else, and a lot of it is done on the spot. Like I mentioned, and you rebutted, most supplements are a waste of money, UNLESS they are needed because of a deficiency. There is NO substitute for a healthy, varied diet. If you cannot eat such, you are cutting corners and trying to replace what you aren't eating with a pill, which yes, helps, but again, isn't a substitute for the food. Some people have certain conditions which warrant supplement use, and a lot of them are because they didn't follow a healthy lifestyle originally. I have been weight training for 48 years, and have always followed a healthy diet to this day, and have supplemented with some things just to see if I could increase strength. I have always eaten a healthy, varied diet, and have had no signs of deficiencies whatsoever. I have been certified as a trainer, with nutritional classes, four times. Nothing has changed in decades as far as what a healthy diet is, besides fads that are temporary fixes, and don't work in the long run. Again, unless you have a deficiency caused by a disease or genetically, taking multivitamins are not a substitute for a healthy diet, which everyone besides the very poor can afford. If you aren't working all day long, you always have time to eat healthy, and can make things in advance, and buy healthy most everywhere. Also, a lot of links people provide, just to argue without prior knowledge, are just other's opinions and not based on facts or studies.

I did NOT say that vitamin supplements were a substitute for good nutrition.  Even if you eat proerly, you can still develop a micronutrient deficiency WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING IT until a blood test defines it.

I always ate healthy.  I didn't follow a prescribed menu but I let my body tell me what t needed and it always seemed to work.  FInding out that a had a serious Vitamin D deficiency was a complete surprise to me.  I did not have any noticeable symptoms, and it was only routine blood tests that exposed it.

THAT is precisely why a good multivitamin supplement is beneficial for EVERYONE. There is no downside to it, and there is a significant preventative upside to it, no matter how healthy and fit you think you are.  Again, it's just good insurance...no thing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, WaveHunter said:

I think you miss MY point.  Most people (like me) have no idea they need a supplement until they have a health issue discovered through a blood test (in my case).  Since a good multi supplement has no side effects and really is not that expensive, I simply think of it as a cheap insurance policy that minimizes the change of a deficiency .

You might think that a deficiency would be pretty noticeable but in my case it was not.  I thought I was fine but my doctor was alarmed at how low it was and put me on a one week course of super high Vitamin D before having me switch to a more normal high potency one.

And it also just proves the fallacy that simply being out in the sun will give you all the vitamin D you need; three hours under a hot Florida sun every day in the summer time is intense!  By that reasoning I should have had Vitamin D to spare LOL!

Same as you low vitamin D, and therefor I moved to Thailand and also other health benefits. Still I do not take multivitamins, I do bloodwork every 6 months, and a health check up every year which I see as a cheap investment compared to chew multivitamins I do not need. Of course try to eat various food and drink little alchohol. 

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I did NOT say that vitamin supplements were a substitute for good nutrition.  Even if you eat proerly, you can still develop a micronutrient deficiency WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING IT until a blood test defines it.

I always ate healthy.  I didn't follow a prescribed menu but I let my body tell me what t needed and it always seemed to work.  FInding out that a had a serious Vitamin D deficiency was a complete surprise to me.  I did not have any noticeable symptoms, and it was only routine blood tests that exposed it.

THAT is precisely why a good multivitamin supplement is beneficial for EVERYONE. There is no downside to it, and there is a significant preventative upside to it, no matter how healthy and fit you think you are.  Again, it's just good insurance...no thing more, nothing less.

The amount of vitamin d in normal multivitamins is not enough to justify using it because of your vitamin d deficiency. 

If you go and see each and one vitamin how your body absorbs it, and what other vitamins and minerals that works together and also compete against each other, you will have an better understanding why multivitamins is waste of money. If you are going to take multiple vitamins, you just cant put them all together  and think thats going to work. 

Edited by Hummin

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

The amount of vitamin d in normal multivitamins is not enough to justify using it because of your vitamin d deficiency. 

If you go and see each and one vitamin how your body absorbs it, and what other vitamins and minerals that works together and also compete against each other, you will have an better understanding why multivitamins is waste of money. If you are going to take multiple vitamins, you just cant put them all together  and think thats going to work. 

Since the subject of this thread was about WHERE TO BUY a good brand of multi, and not about the pros and cons of using multi's, you are really driving this thread right off the tracks.

With all due respect, if you want to have such a debate about the pros and cons of using a multi, start a thread that is dedicated to that.

For some strange reason, this particular forum always seems to attract people hell-bent on derailing threads with totally off-topic posts.  It would be so nice if people would stop doing that.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Since the subject of this thread was about WHERE TO BUY a good brand of multi, and not about the pros and cons of using multi's, you are really driving this thread right off the tracks.

With all due respect, if you want to have such a debate about the pros and cons of using a multi, start a thread that is dedicated to that.

For some strange reason, this particular forum always seems to attract people hell-bent on derailing threads with totally off-topic posts.  It would be so nice if people would stop doing that.

Maybe for some a healthy contribution and a healthy debate which obviously is annoying but necessary. Maybe not for you, but others who know little about nutrition and supplements. 

If you read my posts you'd already know that I use a stand-alone Vitamin D-3 for that purpose. 

As for the synergistic quality of a "good" brand of multi, they are designed specifically to provide optimal ratios of each vitamin so there is not an imbalance as you are suggesting. 

The actual truth is...No matter how healthy you think you are, there are some nutrients you can't readily absorb from food, especially for people who have hectic schedules and can't always indulge in the luxury of a well balanced meal all of the time.  And that happens to be the case for the majority of the population!

So, you are quite mistaken!  There are a number of excellent reasons that a good multi is beneficial to almost everyone, and no downside to their use for almost anyone.

Multivitamins are simply a way to cover all the MDR basics, and it is as. simple as that.

• Like 1

Same as you low vitamin D, and therefor I moved to Thailand and also other health benefits. Still I do not take multivitamins, I do bloodwork every 6 months, and a health check up every year which I see as a cheap investment compared to chew multivitamins I do not need. Of course try to eat various food and drink little alchohol. 

How do you think moving to Thailand improves your low VItamin D?  Just curious.  If you think it is a sunnier climate, think again. 

It's an unfounded myth that sunlight alone provides sufficient vitamin D for most people.  If that was true, I would not have developed a Vitamin D deficiency considering that, at the time, I was an avid surfer living in Florida, and spend an average of three hours out on the water every single day.

19 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

How do you think moving to Thailand improves your low VItamin D?  Just curious.  If you think it is a sunnier climate, think again. 

It's an unfounded myth that sunlight alone provides sufficient vitamin D for most people.  If that was true, I would not have developed a Vitamin D deficiency considering that, at the time, I was an avid surfer living in Florida, and spend an average of three hours out on the water every single day.

First of all I'm more active here, eat more fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs who is not been exposed to chemicals, and is food Wich helps absorb vitamin d.

I have a more positive lifestyle, regularly exercise and more exposed to sun, and I do not need vitamin d supplement in Thailand. A few months home, I need to start supply with 3000iu. I additionally take vitamin b complex. 

Exposure to sun as little as 10m every day helps us with light skin, a couple hours is needed for those with darker skin. 

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

eat more fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs who is not been exposed to chemicals

Do you really believe that?  Guess you do not notice all the farm chemicals advertised on TV?  They are being used.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do you really believe that?  Guess you do not notice all the farm chemicals advertised on TV?  They are being used.

We grow our self and restoring farmland by have gras and weed with sheep's, as well add buffalo fertilizer. All leftovers leafs, grass etc is mixed in to the soil again. We also keep our own fish. So no Chems at all. Wife parents handpicked the larvea plague instead of spraying Chems.

Oabsorving vitamins and minerals comes down to what you eat and how your digestion work and are healthy.

It comes down to so much more than just dropping a pill for the best.

Edited by Hummin

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It's an unfounded myth that sunlight alone provides sufficient vitamin D for most people. 

Uh, so how did the human race survive, exactly?  given that there are almost no substantial sources of dietary vitamin D other than blubber, and a few types of fish. 

And a follow-up question -- how did almost all other living, mobile species survive?

Puzzled,

-- Retiree

8 hours ago, retiree said:

Uh, so how did the human race survive, exactly?  given that there are almost no substantial sources of dietary vitamin D other than blubber, and a few types of fish. 

And a follow-up question -- how did almost all other living, mobile species survive?

Puzzled,

-- Retiree

A lot like to argue because they were told by a "friend" that something was a certain way, and like Hitler, Putin and Donald Trump's followers, they are sheep. Doing research is more than finding one link on Google just to dispute something. Some of us have been into nutrition and exercise for over 40 years, and know what works and what doesn't. As has been mentioned, unless you are suffering from a disease or genetic anomaly, sunlight provides all the Vitamin D you need. That goes for supplementing anything. Supplements, unless you overuse a few, such as Vitamin A, aren't going to hurt anything besides your pocketbook. IF you are like millions of people that don't eat right by choice, then using a pill to get back what you aren't receiving by a well balanced diet, will help.

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

As has been mentioned, unless you are suffering from a disease or genetic anomaly, sunlight provides all the Vitamin D you need

Yes, that's what I've been puzzled by.  WaveHunter has mentioned his "serious vitamin D deficiency" five times in this thread, despite not having any "noticeable symptoms," being an "avid surfer, spending several hours a day out under the Florida sun catching waves," and being "nutrition-conscious and active in sports my whole life."

I would have thought that a genetic inability to process sun into vitamin D would become manifest in childhood.  If it were due to some type of surgery or disease, I would have thought his doctor would have treated the underlying cause, rather than just a "one week course of super high Vitamin D."

Afaik the "routine blood tests that exposed it" only became "routine" when cheap tests became available.  The problem is that these tests were not necessarily reliable, and erred on the side of reporting deficiency.  This from 10 years ago: 

Newer Vitamin D Tests Often Inaccurate: Study

https://www.webmd.com/women/news/20120625/newer-vitamin-d-tests-often-inaccurate-study 

Faster, Less Expensive Tests May Overestimate Vitamin D Deficiency

In a symptomatic and affected population this would not be a problem -- in effect, there are fewer opportunities for the false report to occur.   But in a large asymptomatic and unaffected population, many, many folks will be unnecessarily alarmed about a "problem" that might not be meaningful even if the report were accurate.   

Hence, screening for Vitamin D is not generally recommended.  Instead, folks are advised to take an ordinary multivitamin supplement (as I do myself) if their lifestyles might indicate any possible deficiency ('cause hate veggies and never get any sun!): 

Do not routinely test for Vitamin D

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2022-070270

Screening for Vitamin D deficiency in adults

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778487

overall evidence on the benefits of screening for vitamin D deficiency is lacking

VITAL Findings — A Decisive Verdict on Vitamin D Supplementation

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2205993

providers should stop screening for 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels or recommending vitamin D supplements, and people should stop taking vitamin D supplements to prevent major diseases or extend life.

Now, if people want to get worked up about asymptomatic ailments and cures, more power to them.  However, this kind of needless testing and treatment imposes substantial costs on society.  For example, in the US in 2016: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/18/business/vitamin-d-michael-holick.html

Vitamin D tests are now the fifth-most-common lab test covered by Medicare ... Doctors ordered more than 10 million for Medicare patients in 2016, up 547 percent since 2007, at a cost of $365 million.

And more recently in Australia:

https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2022/08/24/cutting-down-vitamin-d-tests-could-help-lower-carbon-footprint-of-healthcare.htm 

An estimated 76.5 percent of Australia’s vitamin D tests provide no net health benefit, meaning that there were 3,410,108 unnecessary tests in 2020.  Total Medicare costs of unnecessary vitamin D tests amounted to more than $87 million (AUD) in 2020; in comparison, the total cost of all vitamin D tests was over $114 million (AUD).

As a US taxpayer (and Medicare payer) I think that greater benefits would accrue from getting folks worked up about -- and spending that money on -- problems like smoking, obesity, and exercise, all of which have far more demonstrable (and preventable) health consequences.  

-- Retiree 

Edited by retiree

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 1:35 PM, WaveHunter said:

If you read my posts you'd already know that I use a stand-alone Vitamin D-3 for that purpose. 

As for the synergistic quality of a "good" brand of multi, they are designed specifically to provide optimal ratios of each vitamin so there is not an imbalance as you are suggesting. 

The actual truth is...No matter how healthy you think you are, there are some nutrients you can't readily absorb from food, especially for people who have hectic schedules and can't always indulge in the luxury of a well balanced meal all of the time.  And that happens to be the case for the majority of the population!

So, you are quite mistaken!  There are a number of excellent reasons that a good multi is beneficial to almost everyone, and no downside to their use for almost anyone.

Multivitamins are simply a way to cover all the MDR basics, and it is as. simple as that.

The latest from MedScape on Multivitamins............

Unexpected results from a phase 3 trial exploring the effect of multivitamins and cognition have now been published.

Findings from a phase 3 study show daily multivitamin use, but not cocoa, is linked to a significantly slower rate of age-related cognitive decline.

Originally presented last November at the 14th Clinical Trials on Alzheimer's Disease (CTAD) conference and reported by Medscape Medical News at that time, this is the first large-scale, long-term randomized controlled trial to examine the effects of cocoa extract and multivitamins on global cognition. The trial's primary focus was on cocoa extract, which earlier studies suggest may preserve cognitive function. Analyzing the effect of multivitamins was a secondary outcome.

Showing vitamins, but not cocoa, was beneficial is the exact opposite of what researchers expected. Still, the results offer an interesting new direction for future study, lead investigator Laura D. Baker, PhD, professor of gerontology and geriatric medicine at Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, told Medscape Medical News.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/980785?src=wnl_tp10n_221013_mscpedit&uac=241165CN&impID=4742695#vp_1

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, retiree said:

Puzzled,

-- Retiree

Yes it is true that few foods naturally contain sufficient vitamin D to meet daily requirements.  That's why many food products are fortified with it.  For most people, the best way to get enough vitamin D is taking a supplement.

There are two forms: vitamin D2 (“ergocalciferol” or pre-vitamin D) and vitamin D3 (“cholecalciferol”). Both are also naturally occurring forms that are  produced in the presence of the sun’s ultraviolet-B (UVB) rays but many people have insufficient levels because they live in places where sunlight is limited in winter, or because they have limited sun exposure due to being inside much of the time.

Also, people with darker skin (in my case, a deep suntan from surfing) tend to have lower blood levels of vitamin D because the pigment (melanin) acts like a shade, reducing production of vitamin D.

There are, however, a number of foods that do contain VItamin D beyond those you mentioned.  

The best sources are the flesh of fatty fish and fish liver oils, and like I said, many food products are fortified with it.

Here's a sampling of food that contain vitamin ????

• Cod liver oil
  • Salmon
  • Swordfish
  • Tuna fish
  • Orange juice fortified with vitamin D
  • Dairy and plant milks fortified with vitamin D
  • Sardines
  • Beef liver
  • Egg yolk
  • Fortified cereals

• 7 months later...

Another study on Multivitamins has shown that they can be beneficial....................

"Multivitamin supplementation slowed cognitive decline in older adults, the COSMOS-Webopens in a new tab or window study showed.

Compared with placebo, participants who took a daily multivitamin/multimineral supplement had significantly better immediate recall at 1 year (P=0.025) and across 4 years of follow-up on average (P=0.011), reported Adam Brickman, PhD, of Columbia University in New York City, and co-authors in the American Journal of Clinical Nutritionopens in a new tab or window.

Multivitamins improved memory performance above placebo by the equivalent of 3.1 years of age-related memory change, the researchers estimated. The effect was more pronounced in people with underlying cardiovascular disease".