Multi-Vitamins in Thailand

WaveHunter

Sorry for posting this because I'm sure there are already posts concerning it, but the Asean Now search function seems as useful as a screen door on a submarine...and BTW, the search engine on Lazada is not much better for English searches, which is what leads me to making this post.

I wonder if there are any decent quality multi-vitamins on the market (through local stores or Lazada) that are similar in quality to the American "Now" brand.

I usually buy NOW Foods, ADAM, Superior Men's Multi 180 Softgels, but the markup is outrageous and most of it comes from China which is suspect.

I can buy it from iHerb but it requires payment of Customs Duty since the bottle along with shipping exceeds 1500 THB, and again the markup is just way too much for a basic multivitamin that in the States I would spend half as much.  Not that I care so much about the added tax, but where I live here, requires a trip to a special post office that handles Customs Duty payment, which is so far away that a half of one day is killed just getting to/from that post office.

There MUST be a good brand you can just buy at a brick and mortor store.  Anyone have a recommendation of a particular brand and version?  Please don't just post the store name  without mentioning the name of the product, and please only tell me about ones that are similar to the "Adam" product from NOW.

Here is the breakdown:

375401925_ScreenShot2022-08-29at2_38_09PM.jpg.7cef82b6642260338261186f8ebf14f3.jpg

Sorry for posting this because I'm sure there are already posts concerning it, but the Asean Now search function seems as useful as a screen door on a submarine...and BTW, the search engine on Lazada is not much better for English searches, which is what leads me to making this post.

• Like 1

I don't see your problem.  Order the 120 capsule selection and your order plus shipping will be under $46 which is the (official) cutoff for duty-free shipment.

Multivit.png.ecc87604f296c86c582072c934573178.png

Edited by connda

I find best price for Centrum Silver (normally use Shopee but Lazada also has many sellers).  Seems to be made in Canada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/centrum-silver-men-multivitamins-and-minerals-and-lycopene-multivitamin-275200-50-i2452395168-s8570218332.html

If of a younger (under 50) age this looks like a good option

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/kirkland-daily-multi-vitamins-mineral-500-tablets-i3824316953-s14574341514.html

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Just now, MrJ2U said:

Check out Watsons or Boots on Lazada.

They've got vitamins reasonably priced and ready for quick delivery. 

But, as I said in my possibly too wordy post, I am not asking for a store's name, I am asking for a specific alternative brand and product name for a multivitamin that is similar in composition to the NOW Foods, ADAM, Superior Men's Multi 180 Softgels.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't see your problem.  Order the 120 capsule selection and your order plus shipping will be under $46 which is the (official) cutoff for duty-free shipment.

Multivit.png.ecc87604f296c86c582072c934573178.png

Sorry, it's my fault for making my post too wordy, and of course on AseanNow there is no way to edit the post.

I was asking for a specific alternative brand and product name for a multivitamin that is similar in composition to the NOW Foods, ADAM, Superior Men's Multi 180 Softgels that is readily available in Thailand.

No problem with availability of NOW but I am no longer a fan of NOW foods for personal reasons, and the price listed on Lazada for them is is DOUBLE what it is in the States

Edited by WaveHunter

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I find best price for Centrum Silver (normally use Shopee but Lazada also has many sellers).  Seems to be made in Canada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/centrum-silver-men-multivitamins-and-minerals-and-lycopene-multivitamin-275200-50-i2452395168-s8570218332.html

Thanks for the reply, but that was not what my question was.

I was asking for a specific alternative brand and product name for a multivitamin that is similar in composition to the NOW Foods, ADAM, Superior Men's Multi 180 Softgels that is readily available in Thailand

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks for the reply, but that was not what my question was.

I was asking for a specific alternative brand and product name for a multivitamin that is similar in composition to the NOW Foods, ADAM, Superior Men's Multi 180 Softgels that is readily available in Thailand

Actually can not read your photo and suspect would not be keen on checking each item even if I could.  What I posted is readily available in Thailand visa private importers selling on Lazada/Shopee with no import/customs additional charges.  As made by Pfizer suspect it is as good as NOW (which I do use for several other items).

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but multivitamins are a waste of money. You get the B vitamins eating protein rich foods, C from any fruit and many vegetables, minerals from all foods, and Vitamin D from the sun. E is a fat soluble vitamin, and you don't need that much, especially since you can get it from wheat germ, peanuts, nuts, some oils, sunflower seeds, nuts and greens, whichever you might eat.  The only thing women who are pregnant need is folic acid.I searched for a quick link you can read............https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins

?

Actually buying and trying to eat all the foods you suggest is much more expensive and time consuming then buying a multi vitamin.

• Like 1

Vitamins and supplements, while working somewhat, aren't replacements for actual food. The best way to get vitamins and minerals is from food, and some take more than their body needs, and can handle, are are dangerous. This is the case for E , K and D and A especially, fat soluble vitamins that stay in body cells. Healthy food isn't expensive. The Mediterranean diet, which promotes fish, vegetables, seeds, nuts, grains, potatoes and olive oil, isn't costly, if you include non expensive fish choices.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Sorry, it's my fault for making my post too wordy, and of course on AseanNow there is no way to edit the post.

I was asking for a specific alternative brand and product name for a multivitamin that is similar in composition to the NOW Foods, ADAM, Superior Men's Multi 180 Softgels that is readily available in Thailand.

No problem with availability of NOW but I am no longer a fan of NOW foods for personal reasons, and the price listed on Lazada for them is is DOUBLE what it is in the States

If I was you based on the price of vitamins in Thailand?  I'd - "Order the 120 capsule selection and your order plus shipping will be under $46 which is the (official) cutoff for duty-free shipment."

Otherwise?  Buy Centrum at your local pharmacy. 

You're welcome!  :thumbsup:  Happy to assist!

10 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but multivitamins are a waste of money. You get the B vitamins eating protein rich foods, C from any fruit and many vegetables, minerals from all foods, and Vitamin D from the sun. E is a fat soluble vitamin, and you don't need that much, especially since you can get it from wheat germ, peanuts, nuts, some oils, sunflower seeds, nuts and greens, whichever you might eat.  The only thing women who are pregnant need is folic acid.I searched for a quick link you can read............https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins

Multivitamins are more definitely not a waste of money and for many people they are necessary. Most people do NOT eat a varied diet and as such, they do not get all the vitamins they need. And the vast majority of people don't have the knowledge of what foods have which vitamins and how much they need etc. Then there are the many people with stomach / digestion issues meaning that even with a good diet, malabsorption means they don't get the full benefits of what they eat. I personally suffered from this whereby my diet was excellent but my digestion system was so messed up that I simply wasn't getting all the benefits of the vitamins of the food I was consuming. Supplementing with a good vitamin, funnily enough the very one the OP mentions, was a great help.

I remember a doctor I used to see some years ago arrogantly saying that you don't need to take vitamins. My current doctor is much more pragmatic and says that most people have vitamin deficiencies and that a GOOD-QUALITY multivitamin helps to fill in the gaps and cover those deficiencies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Multivitamins are more definitely not a waste of money and for many people they are necessary. Most people do NOT eat a varied diet and as such, they do not get all the vitamins they need. And the vast majority of people don't have the knowledge of what foods have which vitamins and how much they need etc. Then there are the many people with stomach / digestion issues meaning that even with a good diet, malabsorption means they don't get the full benefits of what they eat. I personally suffered from this whereby my diet was excellent but my digestion system was so messed up that I simply wasn't getting all the benefits of the vitamins of the food I was consuming. Supplementing with a good vitamin, funnily enough the very one the OP mentions, was a great help.

I remember a doctor I used to see some years ago arrogantly saying that you don't need to take vitamins. My current doctor is much more pragmatic and says that most people have vitamin deficiencies and that a GOOD-QUALITY multivitamin helps to fill in the gaps and cover those deficiencies.

There is no replacement for a healthy diet, and yes, malabsorption is one factor where you don't get all you need from the food you eat, caused mostly by other diseases that are preventable, and for some, from genetic diseases, infections from parasites, and lactose intolerance. Multivitamins for those without these conditions, some of which come from an unhealthy lifestyle, aren't necessary, as a good diet can be researched and followed. That part is up to the person themselves.Not eating a varied diet, which has been promoted for a century, is up to you, and although there are many ways a person gets sick, an unhealthy varied diet is the main culprit, together with a lack of exercise. Vitamin supplementation ,prescribed by a nutritionist and not a general practitioner, may help some , and there are arguments on both sides, but then testing is required as they might interfere with other things you really need..................https://www.eatthis.com/news-taking-multivitamin-every-day-body-effect/

On 8/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, fredwiggy said:

There is no replacement for a healthy diet, and yes, malabsorption is one factor where you don't get all you need from the food you eat, caused mostly by other diseases that are preventable, and for some, from genetic diseases, infections from parasites, and lactose intolerance. Multivitamins for those without these conditions, some of which come from an unhealthy lifestyle, aren't necessary, as a good diet can be researched and followed. That part is up to the person themselves.Not eating a varied diet, which has been promoted for a century, is up to you, and although there are many ways a person gets sick, an unhealthy varied diet is the main culprit, together with a lack of exercise. Vitamin supplementation ,prescribed by a nutritionist and not a general practitioner, may help some , and there are arguments on both sides, but then testing is required as they might interfere with other things you really need..................https://www.eatthis.com/news-taking-multivitamin-every-day-body-effect/

I disagree totally with your assessment of vitamin supplementation.  It's true that a healthy and well balanced nutritional lifestyle is important BUT there are plenty of instances where vitamin supplementation is a good thing, and sometimes an essential thing.

Take, for example, people who practice veganism or are strict vegetarians.  They MUST supplement with B-12 since the main source is from meats. and If meats are absent from your diet you absolutely will become deficient in B-12 which will have a serious effect on your health.

I know this for a fact because back in 2017 I was a strict Vegan, had issues, and the doctor had me start to supplement with B-12 shots that I self administered weekly.

Another example:   In the midst of the Covid pandemic, even though things are a lot better now than they were a year ago, Covid infection is still a serious threat, even here in Thailand where COvid has pretty much fallen from the news. 

Scientific studies by some of the top Covid researchers worldwide have found that both Vitamin D-3 supplementation along with ZInc Picolinate supplementation boost the type of immunity that greatly lessens the chance of infection, or if infected, greatly minimize the chances of it becoming life-threatening.

I know there a lot of people (including some MD's) who downplay the importance of smart vitamin supplementation but IMO they are dead-wrong!

Truth is, very few people (even those claiming to the contrary) eat a healthy diet, since we live in a world of fast foods, and heavily processed foods.  You may think you are eating right, because manufacturers go to great lengths to make you believe that, but in reality, you are not.  Vitamin supplementation is just good insurance that you will not have a deficiency, that's all.

So, it is I, who am sorry to "burst your bubble", as you put it.  Vitamin supplementation, no matter how healthy you eat, can be a VERY positive thing to do.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I disagree totally with your assessment of vitamin supplementation.  It's true that a healthy and well balanced nutritional lifestyle is important BUT there are plenty of instances where vitamin supplementation is a good thing, and sometimes an essential thing.

Take, for example, people who practice veganism or are strict vegetarians.  They MUST supplement with B-12 since the main source is from meats. and If meats are absent from your diet you absolutely will become deficient in B-12 which will have a serious effect on your health.

I know this for a fact because back in 2017 I was a strict Vegan, had issues, and the doctor had me start to supplement with B-12 shots that I self administered weekly.

Another example:   In the midst of the Covid pandemic, even though things are a lot better now than they were a year ago, Covid infection is still a serious threat, even here in Thailand where COvid has pretty much fallen from the news. 

Scientific studies by some of the top Covid researchers worldwide have found that both Vitamin D-3 supplementation along with ZInc Picolinate supplementation boost the type of immunity that greatly lessens the chance of infection, or if infected, greatly minimize the chances of it becoming life-threatening.

I know there a lot of people (including some MD's) who downplay the importance of smart vitamin supplementation but IMO they are dead-wrong!  So, it is I, who am sorry to "burst your bubble", as you put it.  Vitamin supplementation, no matter how healthy you eat, can be a VERY positive thing to do.

I did say there were times it's necessary, but with a varied diet and none of the things I mentioned, it isn't necessary. Vegans follow a vegan diet, which isn't varied enough to get all of the essential nutrients, unless you really know what you're doing as far as getting all the essential amino acids and micro nutrients. Adding vitamins won't hurt, unless you overuse those I listed. I used to use all kinds of supplements, and haven't for many years now, and see no difference, but I do make sure I get a variety of all types of foods, and almost all of them are very healthy. Vitamin D is surely necessary, especially if you don't get out in the sun much,and again, if you have a disorder.

I repeatedly ordered supplements from "PipingRock".

A US company. Ordering and shipment from NJ always painless.

Credit card required (no debit etc.).

Usually it's not about multivitamins but this time I was tempted to add.

("Mega Multi Men 50+"), fairly cheap. Also ordered zinc pills (dirt cheap).

Only after receiving I noticed that the "suggested serving" of two(2) vitamin pills results in these ridicolous overdosage (1000%+).

Instead of 2 pills I now take half a pill and will probably not order again.

Same with zinc, 50 mg! Thats way over suggested intake and zinc is not harmless when overdosed. Also half a pill now.

More is better does not apply to vitamins.

In best case it goes to the bowl.

Worst case it clogs liver and kidneys.

Edited by KhunBENQ

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I repeatedly ordered supplements from "PipingRock".

A US company. Ordering and shipment from NJ always painless.

Credit card required (no debit etc.).

Usually it's not about multivitamins but this time I was tempted to add.

("Mega Multi Men 50+"), fairly cheap. Also ordered zinc pills (dirt cheap).

Only after receiving I noticed that the "suggested serving" of two(2) vitamin pills results in these ridicolous overdosage (1000%+).

Instead of 2 pills I now take half a pill and will probably not order again.

Same with zinc, 50 mg! Thats way over suggested intake and zinc is not harmless when overdosed. Also half a pill now.

More is better does not apply to vitamins.

In best case it goes to the bowl.

Worst case it clogs liver and kidneys.

30mg zinc is ok. Depends on body size though.

The amount of minerals and water you need can be calculated using every 20kgs of body weight.

For most people, about 6 mg of magnesium per kilogram of body weight is necessary to ensure optimal magnesium status. This is almost 3 mg of magnesium per pound of body weight, or 300 mg for a 110-pound person, and 540 mg for a 200-pound person.16 June 2020

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, fredwiggy said:

I did say there were times it's necessary, but with a varied diet and none of the things I mentioned, it isn't necessary. Vegans follow a vegan diet, which isn't varied enough to get all of the essential nutrients, unless you really know what you're doing as far as getting all the essential amino acids and micro nutrients. Adding vitamins won't hurt, unless you overuse those I listed. I used to use all kinds of supplements, and haven't for many years now, and see no difference, but I do make sure I get a variety of all types of foods, and almost all of them are very healthy. Vitamin D is surely necessary, especially if you don't get out in the sun much,and again, if you have a disorder.

Again, all I am saying is that it is cheap insurance to take a multivitamin and certain supplements, especially these days when many people can not always eat a well-balanced meal all of the time. 

I am VERY health conscious and try to have good nutritional habits but I also lead a busy and hectic lifestyle, travel a great deal and don't always have the luxury of preparing my own meals.  A multivitamin, vitamin D, and ZInc Picolinate are my go-to supplements just to give me peace of mind. 

And, BTW, in our "post Covid" world today, vitamin D and Zinc picolinate have been scientifically proven to boost the immune system against potential infection (maybe just a little bit, but a little bit is better than nothing).

And another BTW...Being out in the sun is not assurance you will get sufficient Vitamin-D.  When I lived in the States I was an avid surfer, spending several hours a day out under the Florida sun catching waves, and a blood test revealed I was clinically deficient in Vitamin-D, which is when it became part of my daily supplementation. 

Peace ????

Back in the 19th and early 20th century a number of patent medicines were sold that claimed to cure all types of ailments and complaints. Many of them contained opium, alcohol, cocaine and other now-controlled or illegal drugs. 

This industry hasn't gone away. Today these nostrums elixirs are called "dietary supplements" and are no longer allowed to contain controlled or illegal substances.

Although they can no longer claim to cure anything they now say that they "support" various functions, however there is seldom any clinical proof that they have any beneficial effect.

This isn't to say that vitamins and other supplements don't have their place in treating diagnosed deficiencies or other medical conditions, but most of this industry isn't far removed from its 19th century patent medicine roots. 

21 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Back in the 19th and early 20th century a number of patent medicines were sold that claimed to cure all types of ailments and complaints. Many of them contained opium, alcohol, cocaine and other now-controlled or illegal drugs. 

This industry hasn't gone away. Today these nostrums elixirs are called "dietary supplements" and are no longer allowed to contain controlled or illegal substances.

Although they can no longer claim to cure anything they now say that they "support" various functions, however there is seldom any clinical proof that they have any beneficial effect.

This isn't to say that vitamins and other supplements don't have their place in treating diagnosed deficiencies or other medical conditions, but most of this industry isn't far removed from its 19th century patent medicine roots. 

What does your post have to do with anything related to this thread?  I made a point of saying that Vitamin D and Zinc Picolinate have indeed been clinically proven to have efficacy with lessening the chances of infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  Just how do you equate them as being akin to 19th century patent medicine scams?

Sure!  There are many supplements on the market today that are total scams, but a good multivitamin, Vitamin-D supplements, and ZInc-related supplements are not scams at all, and can be good to use by anyone, regardless of their health condition.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

A multivitamin, vitamin D, and ZInc Picolinate are my go-to supplements just to give me peace of mind. 

Speaking of mind, this study looks promising:

Effects of cocoa extract and a multivitamin on cognitive function: A randomized clinical trial

Maybe my daily multi is paying off. Disappointing about the cocoa, but I'll hope my Hershey's Natural is helping in other ways.????

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

What does your post have to do with anything related to this thread?  I made a point of saying that Vitamin D and Zinc Picolinate have indeed been clinically proven to have efficacy with lessening the chances of infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.  Just how do you equate them as being akin to 19th century patent medicine scams?

Sure!  There are many supplements on the market today that are total scams, but a good multivitamin, Vitamin-D supplements, and ZInc-related supplements are not scams at all, and can be good to use by anyone, regardless of their health condition.

In my opinion, the supplement/vitamin industry exhibits many of the same traits as the patent medicine industry of the past. The main differences are that supplements and vitamins are not allowed to contain harmful substances and they can't be claimed to cure or even treat diseases.  Like patent medicines, in most instances there is little clinical proof that they provide benefits to people with the exception of those with nutritional deficiencies.

With respect to the efficacy of vitamin D in preventing or treating Covid-19, I think the jury is still out: https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj.o1822.

There is a bit more positive finding for zinc picolinate: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8711630/.

But as I said in my original post, there are medical conditions which may warrant the use of vitamins or supplements, especially in the case of deficiencies. These may be such cases.

I did not say that vitamins and supplements are scams, although some of them probably are. But like patent medicines, they are often sold using vague language about "supporting" body functions and health for which there is often little or no evidence of benefit.

And in defense of patent medicines, at least some of them did what they promised, such as relieving pain in the case of those containing opium, albeit with other, negative effects.

But for those who receive or perceive benefits from taking supplements, more power to them.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:30 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

In my opinion, the supplement/vitamin industry exhibits many of the same traits as the patent medicine industry of the past. The main differences are that supplements and vitamins are not allowed to contain harmful substances and they can't be claimed to cure or even treat diseases.  Like patent medicines, in most instances there is little clinical proof that they provide benefits to people with the exception of those with nutritional deficiencies.

With respect to the efficacy of vitamin D in preventing or treating Covid-19, I think the jury is still out: https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj.o1822.

There is a bit more positive finding for zinc picolinate: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8711630/.

But as I said in my original post, there are medical conditions which may warrant the use of vitamins or supplements, especially in the case of deficiencies. These may be such cases.

I did not say that vitamins and supplements are scams, although some of them probably are. But like patent medicines, they are often sold using vague language about "supporting" body functions and health for which there is often little or no evidence of benefit.

And in defense of patent medicines, at least some of them did what they promised, such as relieving pain in the case of those containing opium, albeit with other, negative effects.

But for those who receive or perceive benefits from taking supplements, more power to them.

That's a very level-headed response and I appreciate it.  As I said before, I don't know what the efficacy is of taking a multivitamin, and supplementing with Vitamin-D and Zinc picolinate is.  There is no definitive proof that you're chances of contracting Covid are lessened BUT there is positive clinical evidence pointing in that direction in the case of Vit D and zinc.  They are both incredibly cheap and there is no downside to using either of them, so, I say...why not?  As for multivitamins, it just makes me feel good to know I am getting my daily MDR (even though I disagree with MDR recommendations (in most cases too low)...but again, it's more like insurance and peace of mind.