Bangkok morning turns to night - it's climate change as top Thai scientist warns of more "extreme weather"

webfact

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Yes Ive read those websites. So far we have a list of 1 scientist who did an accurate model.

If the science was agreed upon there would be no need for dozens of models. It just proves they don't know.

F = ma.

If you don't know the formula you cannot produce an accurate model.

Do you think climate change science lives and dies on the models? There's empirical evidence as well and that evidence is showing us catastrophic weather outcomes which are far from normal and which are obviously getting worse every year. 

Models are by definition, not accurate. It is not a valid criticism of them, it's a feature, not a bug. Their function is to identify a trend and attempt to quantify that trend within a range. Models are not all joined at the hip.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Isolated events do not compare to what is happening now

HEAT MAP SHOWS CLEAR TREND IN GLOBAL TEMPERATURE CHANGE

Sometimes it’s hard to get a clear grasp on just how much the climate has changed and where we sit now, compared to the climate of the past.

With the last nine years all appearing in the top ten hottest years ever recorded, we’ve put the last 143 years into context in this heatmap to show global temperature over time.

https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/resources/heat-map-clear-trend-global-temperature-change/

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

I posted the facts. 3.2mm pa sea level rise.

https://ocean.si.edu/through-time/ancient-seas/sea-level-rise

That's a fairly old article and certain discoveries made recently like enormous caverns under antarctic glaciers and more rapidly melting glaciers in greenland and the arctic have likely changed those estimates now.

Furthermore, the  article says this

Between 1900 and 1990 studies show that sea level rose between 1.2 millimeters and 1.7 millimeters per year on average. By 2000, that rate had increased to about 3.2 millimeters per year and the rate in 2016 is estimated at 3.4 millimeters per year.  Sea level is expected to rise even more quickly by the end of the century.

so, you are quoting an estimate which is 22 years old and which the article itself says would be wrong after 2016. Cherry picking much?

Edited by ozimoron

On 8/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, Guderian said:

He should get on the next flight to Pakistan and have a look at what real Hellish weather will do to your country.

Yes and corruption on a fantastic scale ,so that building was done  and rivers diverted ,dams collapsed because so badly built ,there was a Pakistani guy on tv the other day saying much of the flooding is down to terrible infastructure , due to it

34 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I posted the facts. 3.2mm pa sea level rise.

https://ocean.si.edu/through-time/ancient-seas/sea-level-rise

Which is 2X the 100 year average. 2021 saw an increase to 3.7 mm pa. You worked in statistics? Then why do you not appear to understand ROC? 

Since 1900 the average sea level increase was 2.0 mm per annum.  Since then (2021) the RATE has increased to 3.7 mm pa. Most of that nearly 100% Delta R has occurred since 1990.

The factors affecting this ROC (temperature, glacial and ice sheet melt, thermal expansion, etc.)  are all dynamic forces that themselves have increasing positive ROC per positive degree of Delta T.

Was your "work in statistics" in finances? This is a bit different than statistics as applied to physics.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:02 PM, Trentham said:

Yeah and it is debatable that Hitler [or Putin] was a good man.

It seems that the people who reacted to my comment [above], that they believe I am suggesting is is debatable that Hitler and Putin were bad men. I was being sarcastic and satirical and firmly believe that both men are as evil as one could possible be.

The [Australian] Bureau of Meteorology is on alert for yet another La Niña season.

There's a 70 per cent chance that Australia's east coast will have to contend with the climate driver for a third year in a row.

This is very unusual, and other countries have already declared La Niña.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-31/what-is-a-la-nina-season-bom-forecast-explained/101385452

On 8/30/2022 at 10:00 AM, ozimoron said:

credible evidence that humans aren't responsible for global warming

Turn it on its head - credible evidence that humans ARE responsible - spreadhseets, models and Al Gores biotched demo in the Inconvenient Truth disallowed.

1 minute ago, nglodnig said:

Turn it on its head - credible evidence that humans ARE responsible - spreadhseets, models and Al Gores biotched demo in the Inconvenient Truth disallowed.

There's already an overwhelming amount of evidence that humans are responsible. It's also been posted here. Go read NASA and NOAA websites and come back here and tell us there isn't any evidence that humans are causing climate change.

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There's already an overwhelming amount of evidence that humans are responsible. It's also been posted here. Go read NASA and NOAA websites and come back here and tell us there isn't any evidence that humans are causing climate change.

I'm sure NASA has posted plenty of evidence of the hole in the ozone layer, and scientific evidence about the current climate.

I very much doubt that NASA has posted any evidence that humans are responsible, but I'm happy to be corrected by you when you post a relevant link.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I'm sure NASA has posted plenty of evidence of the hole in the ozone layer, and scientific evidence about the current climate.

I very much doubt that NASA has posted any evidence that humans are responsible, but I'm happy to be corrected by you when you post a relevant link.

You doubt? Have you read much of their website?

The links are noaa.gov and nasa.gov.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Human activities are driving the global warming trend observed since the mid-20th century.

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Go read NASA and NOAA websites and come back here and tell us there isn't any evidence

I did. There isn't.

There are theories, therere are corellations, there are models - but no evidence.

Your turn - you say there is oodles and oodles of evidence - please be kind enough to post some.

5 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I did. There isn't.

There are theories, therere are corellations, there are models - but no evidence.

Your turn - you say there is oodles and oodles of evidence - please be kind enough to post some.

I think there is but anyway it's good enough for me. I read the entire site. Maybe I'm just a sheeple.

Edited by ozimoron

On 8/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, Photoguy21 said:

What about the weather which was sever back in 2010 was it when many of the overpasses were covered? I remember flying into Bangkok when the water was dispersing and still I could see the back end of cars sticking out of the water on flyovers.

Why do these people always want to make it sound so dramatic as if there has never been very heavy rain in the rainy season before? Attention seeking are they or just jumping on the official narrative?

Eco hysterics

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 6:22 PM, peterfranks said:

Flooding is mostly caused by the increased building.

I for the past 10 years use a small concrete road between my soi and the main highway.

It never flooded.

The past 3 years many buildings have been erected at both sides of that small road.

Now when it rains for 1 hour, the road is flooded.

Must be climate change, not?

Good example on a small scale. A newly built environment can alter natural water sinks so that drainage is impeded or altered. The development of Bangkok is a good example on a much larger scale

• Like 1

A post from a disallowed social media source that also lacked a required weblink has been removed, along with several ensuing replies.

Forum rule:

"in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source."