Malaysian tourists topple Indians in terms of foreign tourists arriving in Thailand

snoop1130

16 hours ago, smedly said:

lets take a trip around Pattaya and work out percentages of who is here and spending ................ Malaysian might be crossing the border more than Indian, but if you look at a snapshot of actual people in the country who are out spending money and have been here for a while ................. my observations say that it is mostly western tourists that have arrived and stayed for months that are out and about and supporting the local tourist numbers by quite a margin 

lets look at it another way, if every westerner left Thailand tomorrow ............. how would that look ?

airport arrivals do not paint the real picture ................. just saying

Lots of Indians out and about in Pattaya too. A certain corner of South Pattaya is completely dominated by them. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 3:52 AM, smedly said:

lets take a trip around Pattaya and work out percentages of who is here and spending ................ Malaysian might be crossing the border more than Indian,

They cross the border by car in the south and most go no further than Hat Yai, some come to Samui and Phuket as it's within a 7.5 hour drive. 

Edited by PoorSucker

On 9/1/2022 at 6:22 AM, Stocky said:

Where does it say that?

I said 40% of Malaysians aren't Muslim. I don't know the exact proportions of Malaysians, Muslim/non-Muslim, who travel to Thailand, nor do I know what proportion of Muslim Malaysians do drink alcohol; having worked in Malaysia I know some certainly do.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of non-drinking Malaysian muslim tourists to Thailand, but as per the percentage that YOU posted, the percentage would likely be quite high out of the total amount. 

25 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I posted figures for demographic of Malaysia, not the demographic of Malaysian tourists.

So the demographic of Malaysia is not reflected, in any way whatsoever, of the demographic of Malaysian tourists to Thailand.  is this correct?

lets take a trip around Pattaya and work out percentages of who is here and spending ................ Malaysian might be crossing the border more than Indian, but if you look at a snapshot of actual people in the country who are out spending money and have been here for a while ................. my observations say that it is mostly western tourists that have arrived and stayed for months that are out and about and supporting the local tourist numbers by quite a margin 

lets look at it another way, if every westerner left Thailand tomorrow ............. how would that look ?

True.

Thailand (TAT) counts people on layovers and transiting passengers (never depart the airport) as tourists. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leaver said:

So the demographic of Malaysia is not reflected, in any way whatsoever, of the demographic of Malaysian tourists to Thailand.  is this correct?

That I can't say. But as a general observation Malaysian Chinese would probably represent the majority of Malaysian tourists to Hat Yai. As Hat Yai has a large Thai Chinese population so shop signs are commonly in both Thai and Chinese, we have many Chinese restaurants, karaoke lounges, Chinese temples, and various Chinese dialects are spoken in Hat Yai, you can also buy a Chinese language newspaper. So it's a home from home.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 10:26 PM, Mavideol said:

neither are of economical/recovery interest to Thailand, they don't drink, don't visit the bars, don't visit massage parlors because these are the places helping Thai tourism booming 555

Malaysia consists of 28 million of which, 24.6% Chinese and 7.3% Indians, they are both the dominant wealthy of the population, and they both drink often extravagantly, full bottle service, and enjoy raunchy nightlife, because I've travelled from Penang and partied with them in Hat Yai.

Your assuptions came from where? 

That said, the TAT are just a pack of charlatans and a waste of funding better spent on agricultre, food security is the next big thing, not tourism. 

Edited by chalawaan

I've been in Pattaya for a few days and back 2 days ago.
Hundreds if not thousands walking around.
Arabs, Indians.

Close to Terminal 21, hotel packed with Indians and many buses outside hotel to chauffeur them around.

No thanks.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:59 AM, Stocky said:

That I can't say. But as a general observation Malaysian Chinese would probably represent the majority of Malaysian tourists to Hat Yai. As Hat Yai has a large Thai Chinese population so shop signs are commonly in both Thai and Chinese, we have many Chinese restaurants, karaoke lounges, Chinese temples, and various Chinese dialects are spoken in Hat Yai, you can also buy a Chinese language newspaper. So it's a home from home.

This is the Pattaya Forum. 

What you describe in Hat Yai is not happening here. 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:39 PM, Dexxter said:

Australian government travel advisory ....

Do not travel to:

• Yala province,
  • Pattani province,
  • Narathiwat province, and
  • Songkhla province

due to high levels of violence, including frequent attacks and bombings.

When was the last time a Malaysia citizen was a target? Or even a farang? It's the cops, army and their mates they go after, and to be perfectly honest, that's not keeping me awake at night. 

30 minutes ago, Leaver said:

This is the Pattaya Forum. 

What you describe in Hat Yai is not happening here. 

The article is not specifically about Pattaya, the observation that Malaysian tourists toppled Indians in terms of the number of foreign tourism arrivals in Thailand, while 4-5 million tourists visited Thailand in total from Q1 to Q3, was made by the director of the Pattaya Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) addressing a meeting of hoteliers to assess the tourism situation in Pattaya and Thailand.

So possibly should have been posted in the General News forum rather than Pattaya News forum.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, RafPinto said:

I've been in Pattaya for a few days and back 2 days ago.
Hundreds if not thousands walking around.
Arabs, Indians.

Close to Terminal 21, hotel packed with Indians and many buses outside hotel to chauffeur them around.

No thanks.

Better get to like curry after the pubs shut wherever you hang out, because India will overtake China in population next year, and they overtook the UK as the world's 5th largest economy last week! 

I suppose that's because the French (fill in the Brexit blank here). ????

On 9/4/2022 at 5:01 AM, Stocky said:

The article is not specifically about Pattaya, the observation that Malaysian tourists toppled Indians in terms of the number of foreign tourism arrivals in Thailand, while 4-5 million tourists visited Thailand in total from Q1 to Q3, was made by the director of the Pattaya Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) addressing a meeting of hoteliers to assess the tourism situation in Pattaya and Thailand.

So possibly should have been posted in the General News forum rather than Pattaya News forum.

Yes, possibly, but like I said, be sure to post here next time you are sitting next to a Malaysian tourist in a bar in Pattaya.  ???? 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Yes, possibly, but like I said, be sure to post here next time you are sitting next to a Malaysian tourist in a bar in Pattaya.  ???? 

Like most Malaysians, Pattaya is not a place I want to go.

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What is it that Malaysians don't like about Pattaya?

I have no idea, it's just somewhat out of the way if you live in the south, and there are plenty of other beach options that are nearer. Would suspect Malaysians are of the same mind, plus places like Hat Yai have a familiarity. If you're Malaysian-Chinese Hat Yai has a large Chinese community, if you're Malay there are plenty of Halal food options and Pattani Malay is widely spoken.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thumbs Up 1