Enoch Powell, he wasnt wrong in his forecast !

CharlieH

9 hours ago, proton said:

I asked a black lesbian activist in the 80's how she defined racism (they almost never can) she said- it's what ever we say it is!

Like transphobia and it's mate islamophobia these are just words to stop and demonise anyone being critical or even talking about the facts of immigration and Islam and what effects these have had on the UK.

Powell drastically underestimated how the numbers would explode, but anyone who cannot admit his prediction of what would happen coming true must have their head in the sand. What he said was correct and still no politician wants to even talk about it, or do anything.

Powell predicted that there would be rivers of blood by the year 1991. It's true that the rivers are now more polluted than they've been in a long time, but it's sewage, not blood, that's the problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, proton said:

You appear, like most whining about his speech, not to have read it. It neither mentions 1991 or that there would be rivers of blood in the UK. He mentions a classical quote of the river TIBER flowing with much blood, implying troubled times and anguish, not armed insurrection on our streets. 

https://anth1001.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/enoch-powell_speech.pdf

Oh, is that what it implied? Out of all the classical quotations he could have cited, and being a classical scholar there were so many open to him, he chose that one? 

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Oh, is that what it implied? Out of all the classical quotations he could have cited, and being a classical scholar there were so many open to him, he chose that one? 

So you never read it then and just made up the 1991 part and really want to believe he meant actual butchery in the streets? Well, if you look at the list of stabbings in London alone this year perhaps that is not too far off.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, proton said:

So you never read it then and just made up the 1991 part and really want to believe he meant actual butchery in the streets? Well, if you look at the list of stabbings in London alone this year perhaps that is not too far off.

No I didn't make up the 1991 part. He predicted in 1971 that in 15-20 years that would be the state of things. I gave him the benefit of the doubt by using 1991. And in England and Wales for a 12 month period beginning in 2021 and ending in 2022 there were a total of 710 homicides out of a total population of about 59 million.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/283093/homicides-in-england-and-wales/

If that's your idea of a river of blood, you are seriously under acquainted with history.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No I didn't make up the 1991 part. He predicted in 1971 that in 15-20 years that would be the state of things. I gave him the benefit of the doubt by using 1991. And in England and Wales for a 12 month period beginning in 2021 and ending in 2022 there were a total of 710 homicides out of a total population of about 59 million.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/283093/homicides-in-england-and-wales/

If that's your idea of a river of blood, you are seriously under acquainted with history.

The speech in question was made in 1968

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually I believe it was in that Dick Cavett interview that he foretold disaster in 15-20 years. The interview took place in 1971

I just listened to the speech again and he said no such thing .

I suggest that you listen to the speech as well , before falsely saying its content 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:54 AM, bert bloggs said:
On 9/2/2022 at 11:46 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Look what you just did.

You picked out one racial group.

He did,the most violent one,in the paper today 19 teenagers kicking a girl on the floor, the picture says it all ,all black

Oops, here we go again. It's in 'the paper' again.

Shock...horror...fear(mongering)...

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You've disproved the theory that mass immigration has a positive impact on the economy. The increased tax take and economic activity is clearly not outweighing the overall cost - otherwise the UK economy wouldn't be suffering so much. 

Controlled immigration with a gradual population increase is good. What we've seen over the past 30 years is not so good. 

You’ll need to demonstrate that link.

But yes, I’m quite sure this failing Government would like voters to believe their failures are all down to immigration.

The most on topic failure of this 12 year old Government is of course the failure to control immigration, despite having destroyed the economy, ostensibly to get back control of the UK’s borders.

So go ahead, trot out the old favorite rightwing excuse - scapegoat immigrants. 

It doesn’t solve anything but I’m sure it helps you to clear the bile.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He was from an era where people could actually talk about things, rather than just calling each other names .

Like *Only racists talk about immigration*

Actually he wasn’t from an era when people could ‘talk about things’.

There were a number of topics that could not be openly discussed at the time without fear of reprisals, losing your job or perhaps criminal prosecution.

Beyond those issues he lived at a time when people, particularly women, were unable to openly discuss health issues with their own doctor, this was challenged and changed by individuals who did have a public platform, mainly women, bravely speaking out about serious health matters.

People suffered illness and abuse in silence, people ‘knew their place’. 

At the time Powell was speaking very many people were unable to speak up.

The reaction of the rightwing and the rightwing press was to try to shut these people up when they did so.

So quit with this nonsense that at the time the Racist Powell was speaking ‘people could actually talk about things.

It’s demonstrable hogwash.

The deference shown the Racist Powell was all part and parcel of the same problem.

There were the few who could speak, and the masses who could not.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Actually he wasn’t from an era when people could ‘talk about things’.

There were a number of topics that could not be openly discussed at the time without fear of reprisals, losing your job or perhaps criminal prosecution.

Beyond those issues he lived at a time when people, particularly women, were unable to openly discuss health issues with their own doctor, this was challenged and changed by individuals who did have a public platform, mainly women, bravely speaking out about serious health matters.

People suffered illness and abuse in silence, people ‘knew their place’. 

At the time Powell was speaking very many people were unable to speak up.

The reaction of the rightwing and the rightwing press was to try to shut these people up when they did so.

So quit with this nonsense that at the time the Racist Powell was speaking ‘people could actually talk about things.

It’s demonstrable hogwash.

The deference shown the Racist Powell was all part and parcel of the same problem.

There were the few who could speak, and the masses who could not.

There were many people who spoke up against Enochs speech at the time  and I believe that Enoch lost his job because of his speech .

That was when people used to speak and listen , these days its all shouting at each other all at the same time , yelling abuse and trying to silence the other person . 

• Like 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

There were many people who spoke up against Enochs speech at the time  and I believe that Enoch lost his job because of his speech .

That was when people used to speak and listen , these days its all shouting at each other all at the same time , yelling abuse and trying to silence the other person . 

The abuse was from Powell himself. You might reflect on why he lost his job. Even then his views were regarded as toxic.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I’m not shouting at you.

I’ve listened to your argument and made a reasoned counter argument.

Is that a problem?

Perhaps you are referring the multiple personal attacks I’ve had to put up with from rightwing members in this discussion (and others).

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you think that the UK should have an open door policy to the citizens of the Commonwealth , where 2 500 000 000 people could legally get on a airplane and go and live in the U.K ?

Should all Commonwealth citizens have the right to live in the U.K?

All 2 and a half Billion of them ?

Or should there be visa restrictions ?

That is what Enoch was saying , there needed to be visa restrictions on people from the Commonwealth .

Do you agree with him or not ?

Those are not the words for which Powell was vilified.

I've already said that nobody supports unrestricted immigration. That's not the point.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1