Reducing my house electricity costs – any advice please .

Custard boy

Our house electricity system is controlled by Sonoff switches.

Timers are set on most things, ie the water cooler switches off from 20:00 to 08:00, when the urn is turned on it turns off after 90 minutes, the espresso machine turns off after 60 minutes, tv is powered off etc.

Not sure what difference this makes.

This 2 channel switch comes with embedded power metering. Sounds useful.

Have ordered 2 to try.

image.jpeg.a3434e18a6e73ac2b35d95dc38fd19af.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, transam said:

Tell the ladies in the house, a shower only takes 2 minutes, not 30.

My shower takes about 10 minutes, and I am a man. Just that some people like to keep clean, while others don´t.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I am a man. My shower takes 3 minutes because I understand how to wash. Other people were badly taught by there parents.

Yeah, you understand how to get it done quickly. You should listen to your wife. She will probably say you will not always get the best result.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, KannikaP said:

The increase in cost from Bht 4 to Bht 5 per unit is only for over 300 units per month.

Are you sure about that?

My information is that the charges per unit will stay the same (0 - 150 = ฿3.2484; 151 - 400 = ฿4.2218; over 401 = ฿4.4217) however the FT charge will increase from ฿0.2477 to ฿0.9343 which applies to all units used.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Are you sure about that?

My information is that the charges per unit will stay the same (0 - 150 = ฿3.2484; 151 - 400 = ฿4.2218; over 401 = ฿4.4217) however the FT charge will increase from ฿0.2477 to ฿0.9343 which applies to all units used.

Maybe it is if usage is less than 300 units you will get some sort of rebate.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, MAF666 said:

Our house electricity system is controlled by Sonoff switches.

Timers are set on most things, ie the water cooler switches off from 20:00 to 08:00, when the urn is turned on it turns off after 90 minutes, the espresso machine turns off after 60 minutes, tv is powered off etc.

Not sure what difference this makes.

This 2 channel switch comes with embedded power metering. Sounds useful.

Have ordered 2 to try.

image.jpeg.a3434e18a6e73ac2b35d95dc38fd19af.jpeg

But how long does it take to save you Bht 399 on each appliance on which one is used?

You say your house is controlled by them, and then you have ordered two to try. Get it right before posting please.

Edited by KannikaP

On 9/2/2022 at 8:52 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

So is the saving worth the probable need to reprogram the tv?

Do you really have to 'reprogram' your TV after plugging it out, or a power cut. Mine doesn't need it, it comes back on exactly as it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I read that as well there is some kind of rebate in place.

less then 300 you got the highest discount

But can't find the topic at the moment

But as TiT we have to wait and see what really happens.

Edit: Found the Topic

https://aseannow.com/topic/1269638-household-electricity-users-to-get-discounts-from-september-to-december/

According to the committee, households which use no more than 300 units of electricity per month will get a discount of 92.04 satang per unit from September until end of December.

Households which use between 301-500 units per month will be given discount rates on step-by-step format, ranging from 15% to 75%. These users account for 89% of household users nationwide, or 80% of all users.

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

I read that as well there is some kind of rebate in place.

less then 300 you got the highest discount

from 301-400 a lower discount

and from 401 up no discount.

But can't find the topic at the moment

But as TiT we have to wait and see what really happens.

Edit: Found the Topic

https://aseannow.com/topic/1269638-household-electricity-users-to-get-discounts-from-september-to-december/

Discount = not paying, knocked off the bill, rebate = getting it back after payment. Which is it I wonder?

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That should become clear to me in two weeks time when I receive my August/September bill. We rarely use in excess of 300 kw/hr/m at this time of year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thanks, I had read this article. So it is a DISCOUNT on the bill, not a rebate.

I shall know on 17th Sept when my bill comes, but will it be 50/50 ie last half of August at old rate vs from 1st Sept = new rate? Who knows?

Edited by KannikaP

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks, I had read this article. So it is a DISCOUNT on the bill, not a rebate.

I shall know on 17th Sept when my bill comes, but will it be 50/50 ie last half of August at old rate vs from 1st Sept = new rate? Who knows?

TiT  :whistling:

Our Bill will arrive on the 15th, but we are heading for an ultimate low bill since we live in this house (2020). Normal usage is around 11kWh a day, but because of the rains we are only at 6-8kWh.  (We have a big garden (3 Rai) and thus no need to water plants)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

TiT  :whistling:

Our Bill will arrive on the 15th, but we are heading for an ultimate low bill since we live in this house (2020). Normal usage is around 11kWh a day, but because of the rains we are only at 6-8kWh.  (We have a big garden (3 Rai) and thus no need to water plants)

Are you saying that watering your 3 Rai takes over 4 units of electricity per day? And your water bill????

2 hours ago, Custard boy said:

I’m a 70+ year  old age pensioner who’s sole income is derived from my British ( frozen ) government old age pension .

Are you saying that you live on less than Bht 25000 per month?

How do you re-new your Retirement Extension?

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are you saying that watering your 3 Rai takes over 4 units of electricity per day? And your water bill????

Water Bill = Free using a Solar Pump from a "Lake" behind the property to Fill the 4000 Liter holding tank. (and that gets filled every day)

Wife uses a 750W pump 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening (she is a garden NUT) for the garden.

Edit: Before we got the Solar Pump we used a 2HP pump to pump water from the Gov Lake in front of the house to the Holding tank and then our PEA usage was reaching almost 500 units a month. So the Solar Pump brought that RIGHT down.

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Water Bill = Free using a Solar Pump from a Lake behind the property to Fill the 4000 Liter holding tank. (and that gets filled every day)

Wife uses a 750W pump 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening (she is a garden NUT)

Get Solar Pump for the wife's garden.

4000 litres of water a day will eventually empty the lake especially if other neighbours start doing it as well.

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Get Solar Pump for the wife's garden.

Not possible without a Major Investment. Because my Wife wakes up at around sunset, drinks a coffee and is into the garden and that time No Sun that is of any strength is out. Same in the evening (She comes into the house around 7-8pm (I told you she is a garden NUT). So this would require a BIG BIG battery. (and they are not cheap)

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

4000 litres of water a day will eventually empty the lake especially if other neighbours start doing it as well.

Own "lake" used to raise fish and in the dry season fed by a Submersible Deep Well Solar pump ????

fish.JPG.2aaede73d7c02ae60b94881f417c4c74.JPG

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

But how long does it take to save you Bht 399 on each appliance on which one is used?

You say your house is controlled by them, and then you have ordered two to try. Get it right before posting please.

Thank you for the insight.

Designed, implemented, and supported this bulletproof system for 2 years. 

Currently have 22 single channel Sonoffs across the network topology.

Plan to redeploy 4 single channel Sonoffs and replace with 2 dual channel units with the energy usage reporting.

ROI is not important.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, MAF666 said:

Thank you for the insight.

Designed, implemented, and supported this bulletproof system for 2 years. 

Currently have 22 single channel Sonoffs across the network topology.

Plan to redeploy 4 single channel Sonoffs and replace with 2 dual channel units with the energy usage reporting.

ROI is not important.

Are you saying that you have 22 different devices each controlled via a WiFI controlled socket and an app?

The ones you plan to use in future, dual channel, report your energy usage. But that's no god if you don't do anything about it.

You say ROI is not important, but you are trying to save a few units of electricity using gadgets which costs Bht 399 each

In UK they talk about Smart Meters will save you energy, but only if you reduce your consumption accordingly.

Edited by KannikaP

Appears to me that this electricity bill is quite low already, at least very reasonable when comparing to other users.

So from a starting point of 1,500 bahts, you are looking at savings certainly not significant.

As a point of comparison, when I had my old air conditioner replaced in my small apartment with a standard Eminent unit, same BTU consumption, my bill went down by some 1,200 bahts. My air cond. runs all night at 24 degrees for the bedroom only.

But I have worries also, like thinking about leaving behind too much money that others will enjoy spending...

????????

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

-/////////Are you saying that you have 22 different devices each controlled via a WiFI controlled socket and an app?

The ones you plan to use in future, dual channel, report your energy usage. But that's no god if you don't do anything about it.

You say ROI is not important, but you are trying to save a few units of electricity using gadgets which costs Bht 399 each

In UK they talk about Smart Meters will save you energy, but only if you reduce your consumption accordingly.

Are you saying that you have 22 different devices each controlled via a WiFI controlled socket and an app?

YES. Also Bluetooth and Zigbee network, all mostly voice or scene controlled. 

CORRECT.

INCORRECT. Implementing a further 4 smart devices. The new unit is 75% smaller, easier to install, and now comes with the energy consumption functionality embedded. 

CORRECT

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1