Crazy Asian hotels are being created for the selfie generation

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo

by Michael Bridge

Taking a selfie has now become a great marketing tool allowing restaurants and attractions to promote online to millions of followers for free.

How many people are seen posting at Bangkok’s Mahanakhon Tower or at the 3d Mermaid restaurant at Pattaya’s Cozy Beach.

The beleaguered hospitality industry has now realized that unique and unusual hotels can also become a trend for selfie mad tourists as well.

Across Asia local and international tourists are being attracted by crazy designed hotels and are helping these establishments to promote their businesses online to a global audience…for free!!

Here in Thailand, we have the River Kwai Jungle Rafts Floating Hotel. All floating rooms are tucked into a floating bamboo lodge moored along the historical River Kwai Noi surrounded by lush green mountains and jungle. Each is appointed with en-suite private bathroom, balcony, and a hammock.

Due to our ecology conservation concept, the entire floatel does not use electricity but rather utilizes traditional kerosene lamps at night maintaining a true eco hideaway in nature.

Another unusual hotel is The Bangkok Tree House which is surrounded by forest on the banks of the Chao Phraya River.

image.jpeg

File photo

This quirky guesthouse with bamboo and glass architecture is accessible by boat, bike, or foot only and it's 1 km from Bang Krachao Pier.

Although unusual Thailand perhaps is lagging behind its Asian neighbour’s when it comes to weird hotels.

Over in the northern region of Vietnam’s  Moc Chau, they are putting the finishing touches to the Bullet train hotel located overlooking the  World’s longest pedestrian glass bridge.

Hidden in Vietnam's northwestern hills is a hotel resembling the shape of a high-speed train.

Check out this video.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/bullet-train-hotel-a-new-stop-in-northern-hill-town-4502317.html

Although not yet opened, the hillside accommodation in Moc Chau immediately will attract the attention of young people because of its novel and unusual design.

dji0409-1661662146369344515908.jpg

File photo

The hotel ship has a length of 225 meters and includes 28 rooms will open on September 2nd, 2022. 

From the front of the train to the end of the train, each compartment is a room with a capacity of rooms from 2 to 16 people.

The Bach Long Glass Bridge which is the longest pedestrian bridge in the world is already one of the most photographed attractions in Vietnam so by adding the Bullet Hotel expect this hotel to go viral.

image.jpeg
Artist’s impression of the Bus Resort. 

Not to be outdone Singapore’s Changi Village Bus Resort will open next April.

After many years of plying Singapore’s roads, some of their public buses are being re cycled to convert into 20 well-furnished rooms with Exterior BBQ Areas.

They will be repurposed into rooms of about 28 sqm in size.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Ive noticed all the really successful restaurants where I live all about selfies and showing off on Facebook. Food quality and price usually very distant 2nd and 3rd. It would be a very real consideration if you were starting a hotel or restaurant here in Thailand

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Due to our ecology conservation concept, the entire floatel does not use electricity but rather utilizes traditional kerosene lamps at night maintaining a true eco hideaway in nature.

Who is "our," Michael Bridge?

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Ive noticed all the really successful restaurants where I live all about selfies and showing off on Facebook. Food quality and price usually very distant 2nd and 3rd. It would be a very real consideration if you were starting a hotel or restaurant here in Thailand

Damn, I went for a car wash the other week, there is a cafes part of the car wash and most just sit with a free bottle of water or some fried rice.

I ordered a cappuccino and I saw there was a croissant in a plastic box on the counter, just like you would have in Europe. Last time I had one there it came toasted, so I asked the woman, can I have it cold, with my coffee, just put it on a napkin.

10 mins later I sent the wife up to see what was up, (im not impatient, we were the only ones there at 8.45 am) and then it appeared, Raymond Blanc must have just visited, there was a smear of fruit compote around the plate, fresh blueberries, a dusting of icing sugar and a little tray of honey, the cappuccino had like a star on the top.

I wanted to strangle the woman, there's even a laid out table with a ring light in the corner for you to take pictures of the woman food. It's a f'in car wash!! 

Edited by recom273
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Here in Thailand, we have the River Kwai Jungle Rafts Floating Hotel

Personally, I find this "Fruit Resort" in the same Province (Kanchanaburi) much more crazy. Remotely located near the Burmese border with the nearest town 30 km away. Each "room" is modelled on a fruit - shown pineapple and durian (smell free??) rooms:

The most unique hotels and resorts in Thailand

10 hours ago, webfact said:

So in the true spirit of ecology conservation, they burn fossil fuels for lighting rather than using solar charged battery lighting....

10 hours ago, huangnon said:

There is a similar establishment near us in Rayong. Ostentatious Italian restaurant with villa style settings, fountains, and the like. Packed with the young, beautiful and vacuous. ???? Made the mistake of going there for an actual meal last month, and had to send 2 plates back, to be defrosted.. Garbage food and service, but hey, great for selfies.. Go figure.

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

11 hours ago, huangnon said:

...   Made the mistake of going there for an actual meal last month, and had to send 2 plates back, to be defrosted.. Garbage food and service, but hey, great for selfies.. Go figure.

Reminds me of the French restaurant scene in European Vacation where they get served frozen dinners.

I once stayed in Mustang Blu, near Hualumpong, and as an amateur photographer found it rather unique. Wish there was a list of these places in Bangkok

Edited by Purdey

On 9/3/2022 at 7:14 AM, SmartyMarty said:

I've always thought the best place for a 'selfie generation' location would be on the edge of an enormous pit, the surrounding edges of which are extremely slippery, filled with crocodiles.

...or inside a museum with a 1m selfie stick wiping down priceless pieces of art from shelves and walls.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:09 AM, Kenny202 said:

Yes a few bars and restaurants by me with overpriced warm drinks and mediocre food. But the hi so go there so it's the place to take a selfie. Pathetic generation 

• Thanks 1