Need a landscaper to install "grass blocks". Are they out there?

Bassosa

There’s a lot of good multi trade tradesmen. If you’re in the city and want a good price, then you’re best bet would be to find someone in a village outside of the city. Show him what you want, hop in the truck with him and get the supplies. Sit and watch them work and have buy them lunch, and beer whiskey and munchies for them every day after work. Average 500฿ a day per person 

Edited by novacova
  • Like 2

Go to Kham Thiang market, there are a few shops there who sell grass blocks, they will provide manpower if you order in bulk.

Get a Thai translator with you because their English is limited.

Don't expect good quality workmanship from them , my experience with Thai workers is that they only want to finish fast and go back before 5 pm.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, novacova said:

hop in the truck with him and get the supplies

..... Or have everything delivered for around 900 baht.  Have everything on site ready to go.

Unfortunately I've found in the end I should have used experienced contractors than village workers. Saving 10,000 baht or so usually shows in the compromised workmanship.

Avoid using extended  "family" members as "workers".

28 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

..... Or have everything delivered for around 900 baht.  Have everything on site ready to go.

Unfortunately I've found in the end I should have used experienced contractors than village workers. Saving 10,000 baht or so usually shows in the compromised workmanship.

Avoid using extended  "family" members as "workers".

I’ve personally never have had issues with with village workers. My experience has always been good, maybe because I supervise the projects and know a few solid workers. I keep it to two or three workers. I’m not going to go into detail of how to deal with the locals, though it’s always good to be firm yet polite with them, it will go a long way especially if you find a good crew. Though I’m sure crappy workers can found everywhere on the planet at the same ratio as anywhere 

Edited by novacova

Just now, novacova said:

good crew

That's the problem.

I've got one good guy that does work.  Unfortunately half the guys in town are Yaba addicts and drink too much. 

I can't find an electrician. Hopefully talk with a few business owners in the next big town.

10 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

That's the problem.

I've got one good guy that does work.  Unfortunately half the guys in town are Yaba addicts and drink too much. 

I can't find an electrician. Hopefully talk with a few business owners in the next big town.

For sure, talk with some of the older folks. Hopefully someone will give you a good lead 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Go to Kham Thiang market, there are a few shops there who sell grass blocks, they will provide manpower if you order in bulk.

Get a Thai translator with you because their English is limited.

Don't expect good quality workmanship from them , my experience with Thai workers is that they only want to finish fast and go back before 5 pm.

Unfortunately I already got the blocks, so its a labour only thing. That doesn't help.

If it wasn't in such a high visibility place I'd do it myself

6 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

It's illegal

1 minute ago, Bassosa said:

It's at my business

So you got a business then you have a work permit so no problem.  No work permit?

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't want to cause accidents with rubbernecking.

Do you really think you are such a large attraction?    Silly or do you belong in a sideshow?                            

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Unfortunately I already got the blocks, so its a labour only thing. That doesn't help.

If it wasn't in such a high visibility place I'd do it myself

Glass blocks won't last long if it is not put into the soil soon and watered everyday for a few weeks.

So you have no choice but to hire somebody at an exorbitant labor cost or do it yourself.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

So you got a business then you have a work permit so no problem.  No work permit?

Why you think he has a work permit for block laying?

As for the OP, I suggest you contact a garden center to do the job

Edited by peterfranks
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, novacova said:

There’s a lot of good multi trade tradesmen. If you’re in the city and want a good price, then you’re best bet would be to find someone in a village outside of the city. Show him what you want, hop in the truck with him and get the supplies. Sit and watch them work and have buy them lunch, and beer whiskey and munchies for them every day after work. Average 500฿ a day per person 

Having lived in Thailand, in various places, for well over 20 years, and having Thai family, friends, workers, etc,, and spending the last 7 years in CM, your advice is spot on! Prior to CM, in more "rural living", I did what you describe above many times--especially, the "sit and watch" and "diplomatically supervise and re-direct" as things sometimes veered from the original set of directions.

If you don't do the "sit and watch", even here in CM, you may return to find the end result somewhat lacking from what you had expected.

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I would reconsider - they look very untidy to me... and will you forever have to battle cutting that grass? 

I know, you did not ask for my opinion - but just trying to help.

I was thinking the same thing--some times in the past, i have had to abandon more ambitious plans, and stick to the "KISS rule", just to get the job done and maintain my sanity--when i realize that, in reality, no one but me, will likely appreciate the fancier landscaping projects, i had to admit adjust.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, SammyJ said:

I was thinking the same thing--some times in the past, i have had to abandon more ambitious plans, and stick to the "KISS rule", just to get the job done and maintain my sanity--when i realize that, in reality, no one but me, will likely appreciate the fancier landscaping projects, i had to admit adjust.

Totally! All about managing expectations.

We had someone do a stellar job on this project earlier. Like arrow straight block work. Sheer perfection. Problem is, this guy is now asking a fortune to redo it!

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Totally! All about managing expectations.

We had someone do a stellar job on this project earlier. Like arrow straight block work. Sheer perfection. Problem is, this guy is now asking a fortune to redo it!

Fortune meaning how much?

If you're hiring a Thai to do the work, it should not be illegal for you to supervise it.  After all, you're the one who knows what you want and how you want it to be done--you're the one paying for it.  So being onsite and acting as a foreman/crew boss should be fine, so long as the actual work is carried out by a Thai.

If you know what you want, you can just instruct someone else in it who may be less skilled and willing to work for less.