FBI found more than 11,000 government records at Trump's Florida home

onthedarkside

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Apologies for stating the obvious, but he was President when he took the documents 

So does he have the right to retain the documents now he's no longer the president? 

It's a genuine question; I don't know the answer. 

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Apologies for stating the obvious. but he's not President now.  He was required to return the documents.  He was repeatedly asked to return the documents.  He lied about not having documents.  He broke the law.

Why hasn't he been arrested if he broke the law ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, that's a false equivalence because having amphetamines is illegal and its not illegal to have documents in your possession 

First of all, none of the documents taken from the White House were legally in his possession since they weren't vetted by NARA. But even if some of the documents were legally in his possession, it's clear that not all were. And as my analagy pointed out, it's legal to have vitamins in your possession, but amphetamines not so much.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

FBI says they were classified documents .

Trump says he declassified the documents whilst in office and thus didn't need to hand them over   .

We will have to wait for the outcome to see what those documents were and whether they were important documents which required the FBI to raid his premises .

Could be part of the never ending attempts to get Trump  impeached, prosecuted and jailed . Trying to use the laws to stop the democratic process 

Billy Barr, remember him, he’s poured scorn on Trump’s suggestion that he declassified these documents.

It’s just another lie for his doting followers.

All that aside, the search warrant didn’t mention ‘classified documents’, it was a search for ‘Government Records’.

The discovery of ‘TS/SCI documents’ raises the criminal stakes, the discovery of ‘TS/SCI Folders with their contents missing’ raises the criminal stakes much higher.

Trump’s actions have taken this into the realms of grave threats to US National Security.

Lock him up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

So making up theories

Thought so

Witch hunt

Yes, because everybody packs up empty folders clearly marked as TS/SCI. Just inadvertent. Honest mistake. Who HASN'T done that !

Oh, and there's a package at Suvarnabhumi with your name on it and inside is $16,412,834 (sixteen million four hundred twelve thousand eight hundred thirty four dollars). Just pay a small handling fee and the package will be released to you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Even if he did declassify the documents (there is no record that he did) they were still government property and he was required to hand them over.  He broke the law.  Accept it.

I'm waiting for the court case where the government has to prove they were a threat to the security of the USA. If they were not, it's caused a lot of trouble for nothing much.

If the FBI were to raid Clinton's house, perhaps they might find some of those missing e mails, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. So, a rogue agent and not the FBI officially as an organisation. It is possible I guess that there is a rogue player lying to a judge again but the chances of that happening again and to an ex president must be vanishingly small.

To be clear, I know the police and possibly the FBI have a bad record for faking and planting evidence but that's not everywhere all the time. And less likely in high profile cases. The FBI have always been a Republican led and overtly conservative organisation, paint me skeptical.

Many Republicans in government organizations disliked Trump. I thought that was common knowledge.

• Like 1