Mattress Shopping

Jaymatheson

I've bought varying levels of quality in the past and keep being disappointed so guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for hotel quality .... whatever that means.

If anyone can point me in the direction of recommended brands it would be appreciated.  I prefer mattresses on the firmer side.  Not sure if latex is the way to go or not.

Thai mattresses (hotel and otherwise) are way beyond firm. They tend to be rock hard.

A memory foam topper (or latex if you prefer, but memory foam lasts longer) over a standard rock hard Thai mattress is probably your best bet. unless your current mattress is sagging, you can just put topper on that.

The sort of mattresses found in the west,m that provide good support but are not rock hard, just don't seem to exist here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did sleep in wonderful beds in Thailand , but i did also sleep in the most uncomfortable rock mattress you can find on this planet ( i think) . TBH the only decent and pretty solid system , is spring systems ( Bonell , or pocket ) The very best i have used are firm springs with a foam topper , those where fantastic .

Imho , Ikea , as far as i know , got good mattress price/performance . Actually i am sleeping on a Ikea mattress right now ( well very soon i am ) .

Stay away from standard foam mattress , they are rock rock solid . They now even worth calling them a mattress , even a wood bench will be the same .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jaymatheson said:

I've bought varying levels of quality in the past and keep being disappointed so guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for hotel quality .... whatever that means.

Surely a 'household' mattress is used every day whereas a 'hotel' quality is possibly used only 3 or 4 nights a week.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A memory foam topper (or latex if you prefer, but memory foam lasts longer)

I had a memory foam mattress, but it developed Alzeheimers! 555

No seriously, what does Memory Foam actually do? Does it stay in the shape it was when you turned over or got up, or does it go back to it's original shape, in which case it is 'no memory'. 

You probably don't want an imported mattress but for my own back, nothing beats a sealy. The only brand that keeps my rather sensitive back happy at all times. 30,000 plus unfortunately. 

Another pretty good choice is dunlopilo's latex mattresses but I find them a bit too firm. Different feeling from quality spring mattresses but not bad at all 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

You probably don't want an imported mattress but for my own back, nothing beats a sealy. The only brand that keeps my rather sensitive back happy at all times. 30,000 plus unfortunately. 

Another pretty good choice is dunlopilo's latex mattresses but I find them a bit too firm. Different feeling from quality spring mattresses but not bad at all 

Index have a decent range of Sealys.

• Like 1