What are these things called in Thailand? cooker connection unit? cooker outlet?

OneMoreFarang

Some appliances, i.e. some oven, don't use an electrical plug. They just have a cable which should be connected to power.

And because they often use high current that must obviously be designed for high current - not a normal plug. 

After a little googling I found the term "cooker connection unit" for something like this.

What are they called in Thailand? I like to buy something like this from i.e. HomePro or one of the big chains.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA68OVoX0x0QJS_Ga4gtP

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjbKVO2rKNEs-rOftP3Mb

Haven't seen or looked for here, but why would you want one ?

Would think useful in USA, since having 2 voltages being used, and many 240v appliances don't have plugs, and are 'hot wired' in.  I always preferred to add an outlet / plug set for those, for any future moving or need to work on them.

Not really sure I'd want anything hot wired in here, aside from the ACs, which I actually wish I had an exposed breaker near the units, but wasn't here when installed.  OK, the breakers aren't far away, since house is 1 story & small.  Ditto for the hot water heaters, again, wasn't here & too lazy to do ????

6 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

They are called a 'cable cover' (ฝาครอบสายไฟ - paak-rop-sai-fai) or 'cable block' (บล็อคสายไฟ - block-sai-fai).

Thanks. I just try to find them with those names (Thai and English) but still no luck...

13 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Do you have CB's suitably rated and available? If not you will also need to make an upgrade in that area.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the term "CB" - I learned about electric installations in another language.

The cable will be 3x6 sqmm and the breaker will be accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, it's a CCU but I've never seen them here so you'll have to get from the UK or maybe Malaysia or Singapore (don't forget the back-box too as it's not Thai size).

Thanks

You are familiar with Thailand. What do people do in Thailand if they connect i.e. an oven to something in the wall which then goes to the breaker box. They must use something.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

You are familiar with Thailand. What do people do in Thailand if they connect i.e. an oven to something in the wall which then goes to the breaker box. They must use something.

Wire nuts and tape of course :whistling:

You could use "TB" type connectors, the common ones are 25A https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-3-terminal-block-tb-25-600v-25a-i758802513-s1458470227.html but they are available as 45A https://www.lazada.co.th/products/patio-lawn-terminal-tb45-3-12-45a-600v-terminal-block-tb-45-1-tb4504-hot-sale-i3600879572-s13469953852.html and possibly bigger.

Stick them in a small plastic box for a neat and safe job. 

EDIT https://www.terminalsblocks.com/en/product/TB-200-Panel-Mounted-Assembly-Type-600V-200A-Terminal-Connector/TB-200.html

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I used a heavy duty, outlet/plug set, from better electrical supply store, for the oven in 2nd house, not wall mounted.  Don't have one in present house, as use counter top appliances.  And all the outlets and inners (box, I think) are steel, so no risk of melting.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

And one without a switch from Aliexpress ...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995851298.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2tha

I dont know how about Thailand with electric cookers, but in western way we have with the electric cookers, Perilex plugs and sockets.

Like these: ABL Perilex 5P Stekker, 5-Polige 16A Krachtstroom Plug, Wit | New Line

On 3 pins are life wires up to 16 A (separated in box on their own fuse with RCBO).

One neutral and a ground in the middle. you need them with electric cooking, as not all can run on a single pin. 

Was looking at your connection, but looks like a wall mount single connection with ground, if you dont want a plug. Yes you can add 2 wires out, but just one supply in. So current is limited by the supply wire (2.5 , 4mm2?) and the fuse where it is on.

7 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I dont know how about Thailand with electric cookers, but in western way we have with the electric cookers, Perilex plugs and sockets.

Like these: ABL Perilex 5P Stekker, 5-Polige 16A Krachtstroom Plug, Wit | New Line

On 3 pins are life wires up to 16 A (separated in box on their own fuse with RCBO).

One neutral and a ground in the middle. you need them with electric cooking, as not all can run on a single pin. 

Was looking at your connection, but looks like a wall mount single connection with ground, if you dont want a plug. Yes you can add 2 wires out, but just one supply in. So current is limited by the supply wire (2.5 , 4mm2?) and the fuse where it is on.

I have only single phase. That's why I need >30A.

I don't need a plug and don't want a plug. I am fine to connect the cable from the induction hobs to the cable from the breaker box in a wall box. The only irritating thing is that I don't find any suitable wall box for that in Thailand - at least until now. It should be just a cover from an electrical box which allows one cable out.

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

Maybe that's what I will actually do.

I can buy these locally i.e. at http://www.es.co.th/

And then I just use a 3D printer to make a cover for the electrical box.

TB-4503.jpg.965f610954f8fa1189b46d22560c3104.jpg

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that's what I will actually do.

I can buy these locally i.e. at http://www.es.co.th/

And then I just use a 3D printer to make a cover for the electrical box.

The 10 and 25A ones are readily available in the DIY places, bigger ones from your local electrical emporium.

There are my go-to connectors for pretty much anything, put solid, stranded (with or without a ferrule) or even a lug if you feel that way inclined.

I've seen box blanking plates in both plastic and "metal" just add a cable gland and you're good ???? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Encid said:

If you wanted to install a plug and socket you could try these from Thaiwatsadu...

image.png.3c79605315ad87cdf76617bf580d7ae9.png

image.png.df6fe78ebd02fc8db597f0ac1b242e33.png

We got these types at work , for the small amps ( at work we got bigger amps also , and most a lot lot bigger but they are hard wired ) . I am sure you can draw constant 16 amps out of it , without melting ( if your wires can handle it) . They are quite heavy to plug and unplug but that makes the connection secure and solid .

https://www.se.com/ae/en/product/WHT20/20a-440v-surface-mount-triple-pole-isolating-switch-ip66/?range=61235-kavacha

I have one of these for my air conditioner outdoor unit disconnect (screw terminals inside the box). Something like this could work for a cooker if you select the device with current capacity rated high enough.  website shows up to 80A. The 20A, 3-pole version cost 800฿ at my local electric shop. 

For the cooker you might also consider having a disconnect near, but not behind.  In case of fire, you can switch it off without putting your hands near / through the fire.

Edited by captainjackS
  • Like 1