How do border runs work exactly?

38 minutes ago, dj230 said:

For border runs, do you just fly to another country and can then fly back in to Thailand?

Or do you have to stay in the other country for a set period of time?

It depends what the purpose of ‘border run’ is...

IF you are simply attempting to re-set a visa exempt entry... i.e you came here fro 30 days want to depart and return for another visa days the ‘visa run’ (border run) could be made via an organised visa run company to the nearest boarder, crossing into no-mans land, the bordering country, then returning the same day *i.e. in and out seconds later. 

The same could be done on a plane: i.e. fly to Singapore, go through immigration, check back in for your flight (if you’ve not done so online) and pass through immigration and take your flight back to Thailand (which could be the same plane with the same crew if it times out well).

OR... your ‘border run’ is to obtain a new tourist visa or Non-Imm visa etc at a neighbouring country, in which case you’ll need to wait for processing. 

The risk of course with re-setting a ‘visa exempt entry’ is having back to back visa-exempt-entries in your passport which immigration may question. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It depends what the purpose of ‘border run’ is...

IF you are simply attempting to re-set a visa exempt entry... i.e you came here fro 30 days want to depart and return for another visa days the ‘visa run’ (border run) could be made via an organised visa run company to the nearest boarder, crossing into no-mans land, the bordering country, then returning the same day *i.e. in and out seconds later. 

The same could be done on a plane: i.e. fly to Singapore, go through immigration, check back in for your flight (if you’ve not done so online) and pass through immigration and take your flight back to Thailand (which could be the same plane with the same crew if it times out well).

OR... your ‘border run’ is to obtain a new tourist visa or Non-Imm visa etc at a neighbouring country, in which case you’ll need to wait for processing. 

The risk of course with re-setting a ‘visa exempt entry’ is having back to back visa-exempt-entries in your passport which immigration may question. 

So this isn't a legitament reason/way to "stay" in Thailand? It's more of a method that might work?

Just looking to reset visa exempt entry but I dont know if I'll be able to since I've stayed for so long on covid extensions, might just fly back to canada, but if it was as easy as flying to another country staying for a few weeks and coming back and getting a visa exempt stamp I wouldn't mind 

You arrive on visa exempt, extend visa exempt on  immigration, and then do a land border crossing in and out or fly out and back in again for a new visa exempt. 

How many times you can do land border crossing now, And how many times you can fly out and back in, Im not sure. 

You should get proper tourist visa if plan to stay long term. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

There is also the Tourist Visa which you can apply for online (e-visa)...  Thus, theoretically you could fly and spend a few days in a neighbouring country while applying for this TR visa and re-enter with that for 60 days. 

https://www.thaievisa.go.th

Theoretically, you could apply for the Tourist e-visa while in Thailand, fly out and re-enter on the e-TR-Visa the same or the next day... 

I’m not sure how that would look to an immigration officer. Technically its fine, it just depends IF they are bothered about it or not, which then depends on the mood of the immigration officer etc...  and then that depends how you have your other ducks in a row and can answer a range of questions like, why are you here? are you working (no)?, where are you staying? when do you go back? etc etc

• Like 2

It is my understanding that you can only spend a total of 90 days out of a 180 day period in Thailand as a tourist, i.e. on TR visas and extensions. Covid extensions temporarily allowed longer stays but I don't believe that border runs would overcome this regulation.

If I'm wrong then I can abandon my plans to attempt a retirement visa.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

2 times/ calendar year.

An inconsistent rule after what I have heard, others claim no limits on fly out an fly in.

As always, there will be conflicting answers on a thread like this because there is as far I know, no rules at the moment, and practice is up to each and one who welcome you from immigration.

I used to arrive on 30 days exception (45 from 1. Oct), renew new 30 days at immigration, get new 30 days at land boarder, then go home work a couple of months and repeat. 

I did once and awhile turist visa if I knew I would stay 4 months.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

An inconsistent rule after what I have heard, others claim no limits on fly out an fly in.

He was referring to two visa exempt entries via land per calendar year. 

That is a rule.

Via air visa exempt entries have no written limit however in reality continuous back to back stays in Thailand not possible.

Spending time out of Thailand between visa exempt entries via air helps.

The OP has been in Thailand for some time it would seem.

A flight out and return visa exempt would not be recommended.

Best advised to obtain a tourist visa.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dj230 said:

So this isn't a legitament reason/way to "stay" in Thailand? It's more of a method that might work?

Just looking to reset visa exempt entry but I dont know if I'll be able to since I've stayed for so long on covid extensions, might just fly back to canada, but if it was as easy as flying to another country staying for a few weeks and coming back and getting a visa exempt stamp I wouldn't mind 

Safest would be a border bounce by land, avoiding the rogue crossing at Poipet/Aranyaprathet. Deep scrutiny of your immigration history when entering visa exempt or with tourist visas is usually something that only occurs at airports. They limit use of visa exemption at land borders via a policy of only allowing two such entries in a calendar year.

Note that, when doing a border bounce by land, you do need to officially enter the neighbouring country before returning. This, in turn, means that you must meet the neighbouring country's rules for entry. Most important, if crossing into Laos or Cambodia, you need a visa, which can be acquired on arrival if desired. Thai immigration imposes no limitations on the time you must spend outside Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, London Lowf said:

It is my understanding that you can only spend a total of 90 days out of a 180 day period in Thailand as a tourist, i.e. on TR visas and extensions. Covid extensions temporarily allowed longer stays but I don't believe that border runs would overcome this regulation.

If I'm wrong then I can abandon my plans to attempt a retirement visa.

There is no such rule, though there was for a short period many years ago.

That said, if entering at airports, and especially if asking for a visa exemption, the officials will scrutinise your immigration history, and might deny you entry if they consider you are not using visa exemption in a way compatible with normal tourism.

If you do a border bounce by land (avoiding the rogue crossing from Cambodia at Poipet/Aranyaprathet) you should be fine.

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no such rule, though there was for a short period many years ago.

That said, if entering at airports, and especially if asking for a visa exemption, the officials will scrutinise your immigration history, and might deny you entry if they consider you are not using visa exemption in a way compatible with normal tourism.

If you do a border bounce by land (avoiding the rogue crossing from Cambodia at Poipet/Aranyaprathet) you should be fine.

Genuine question: What is the issue with "the rogue crossing from Cambodia at Poipet/Aranyaprathet"?  I've used this many times and not had a problem - except for the lengthy queues - but may just have been lucky.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No such rule.

OP, given your record of length of time in Thailand it would be extremely risky to fly out and back in visa exempt.

You would be advised to obtain a tourist visa . 

Better to do land border bounce.

Reenter visa exempt.

Can do this twice per calendar year. 

are land border bounces guaranteed/safe? (safe as in not getting kidnapped or robbed) 

whats the typical land border bounce people do?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

are land border bounces guaranteed/safe? (safe as in not getting kidnapped or robbed) 

whats the typical land border bounce people do?

Seems like you havent travel much. Thailand is one of most safe country in Asia. And in border area's are full of security cameras, officers etc. so how can anybody think you get robbed in there!? If you live Isaan you go Laos, if in Chiang Mai area you can also visit Myanmar(i rather not). Other part in Thainland you can visit Malaysia,Vietnam,Cambodia. 

5 hours ago, Homburg said:

Genuine question: What is the issue with "the rogue crossing from Cambodia at Poipet/Aranyaprathet"?  I've used this many times and not had a problem - except for the lengthy queues - but may just have been lucky.

If you are a long stay tourist in Thailand, and have recently used this crossing successfully, it is well worth noting your experiences in this thread. In general, if you are a long stay tourist, and have used the crossing without incident then, yes, you have been lucky. There have been many reports of people being denied entry (with a stamp to that effect in their passport) and told they need to enter by air (at which point further trouble probably awaits at one of the Bangkok airports when entering from Phnom Penh or Siem Reap).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Completely safe.

As to which border.

That depends where you are located..

I'm in Bangkok so I'd have to venture to travel quite far im guessing, might just find another method, I'm not too well versed on south east asia or travelling, would hate to get in a bad situation.

I am guessing worst case scenario would be crossing, not being let in and then being in a different country I had no intention of being in. 

I was thinking of Vietnam but it doesn't border Thailand, I wouldn't mind being stuck in Vietnam and just staying there

45 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Seems like you havent travel much. Thailand is one of most safe country in Asia. And in border area's are full of security cameras, officers etc. so how can anybody think you get robbed in there!? If you live Isaan you go Laos, if in Chiang Mai area you can also visit Myanmar(i rather not). Other part in Thainland you can visit Malaysia,Vietnam,Cambodia. 

I've just been living in Thailand a year, only in Bangkok and never travelled elsewhere in Thailand, I think bangkok is pretty safe but Thailand and surrounding countries are probably not the safest countries in asia. Singapore/Japan/korea/china are probably safer in my opinion.

I just remember seeing news report of kidnappings/trafficking or militia/military fighting/shooting at borders. I am guessing border run you'd have to cross over into another country, stay in their country for a while and then cross back? Or is it as easy as going to the border crossing for an hour and then crossing back?

Edited by dj230
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I'm in Bangkok so I'd have to venture to travel quite far im guessing, might just find another method, I'm not too well versed on south east asia or travelling, would hate to get in a bad situation.

I am guessing worst case scenario would be crossing, not being let in and then being in a different country I had no intention of being in. 

I was thinking of Vietnam but it doesn't border Thailand, I wouldn't mind being stuck in Vietnam and just staying there

I've just been living in Thailand a year, only in Bangkok and never travelled elsewhere in Thailand, I think bangkok is pretty safe but Thailand and surrounding countries are probably not the safest countries in asia. Singapore/Japan/korea/china are probably safer in my opinion.

I just remember seeing news report of kidnappings/trafficking or militia/military fighting/shooting at borders. I am guessing border run you'd have to cross over into another country, stay in their country for a while and then cross back? Or is it as easy as going to the border crossing for an hour and then crossing back?

Your concerns about travel are down to lack of experience.

You really should embrace it and become confident.

VERY safe country imo.

As for border run you have options.

For folk living in Bangkok it's easy.

Just one example.

Fly DMK to Udon Thani (one hour flight time) and take minivan to Nong Khai border (straight flat trip not far) 

If you want to make trip out of it spend couple nights in Udon Thani. 

For me the bar area near Central Plaza is very chill area. 

There are threads about that border run  and others. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Hey brother, any advice on a border bounce from Krabi ??

I'm the last person to advise on border bounce from the south province with Myanmar closed. 

I like Udon Thani as I enjoy the farang bars there and Nong Khai is good border bounce...so flight to Udon and minivan an option if flight cheap enough. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I'm the last person to advise on border bounce from the south province with Myanmar closed. 

I like Udon Thani as I enjoy the farang bars there and Nong Khai is good border bounce...so flight to Udon and minivan an option if flight cheap enough. 

Thankyou, but that would mean 4 seperate flights there and back - I was thinking more about Malaysia, but never experienced this before.

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

Land crossings are limited to 2 times a calendar year.

Unlimited for air arrivals.

This is the rule, not the exception

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Isn't there a maximum number of months one can stay in a calendar year for 'tourists'?

There is no official limit. I doubt, now, whether anyone could stay indefinitely on only visa exemptions. There is a limit of two of those per calendar year when entering by land, and Immigration at airports, these days, carefully scrutinises the immigration history of those requesting visa exempt entry, liable to deny entry to people it deems are staying in Thailand longer than is compatible with regular tourism. As long as you get visas (including tourist visas) there is no limit entering by land, and you are also OK at some airports.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no official limit. I doubt, now, whether anyone could stay indefinitely on only visa exemptions. There is a limit of two of those per calendar year when entering by land, and Immigration at airports, these days, carefully scrutinises the immigration history of those requesting visa exempt entry, liable to deny entry to people it deems are staying in Thailand longer than is compatible with regular tourism. As long as you get visas (including tourist visas) there is no limit entering by land, and you are also OK at some airports.

Then there is no need for retirement visas that require 800k.

39 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Then there is no need for retirement visas that require 800k.

Those over the age of 50 have additional options to stay long term in Thailand. The Non-OA visa used to be attractive for those mixing longer stays in Thailand with some overseas travel. The Non O visa (retirement) in conjunction with one-year extensions, although requiring financial proof, is a very good option for most retirees who want to spend all or most of their time in Thailand on a long term basis. The option involves less hassle than needing to make visa runs out of Thailand every 60 to 90 days, which staying as a long term tourist necessitates. Also, while still possible at the current time, it may not always be possible, in the future, to get tourist visas indefinitely while returning through land crossings or those selected airports that honour consulate issued tourist visas.