Bangkok Starts Operation to Remove Water Hyacinth

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK  (TNA) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and the military on Monday kicked off jointly operation to remove water hyacinth, blocking waterways in preparation for potential heavy rains.

image.jpeg

One hundred soldiers and BMA workers cleared weeds from Nong Bua Ban canal in Bangkhen district to brace for northern runoff and more heavy rainfall.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1011508

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-09-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

50 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm probably suggesting an unworkable and laughable idea but here goes;

Mass program to clean and then dredge the entire canal system of man dumped detritus and natural silt.

Use a fleet of those skimming garbage boats (I know they have some sort of these craft but I suggest a fleet of different sized for the sized khlongs) and have them run regularly to clean the waterways of both hyacinth and man made flotsam and jetsam.

To help relieve the annual flooding dig new drainage canals around or out of the greater Bangkok delta directly to the sea. (I know the delta is a low lying area so flooding is natural and complicated by the mass of concrete called Bangkok dumped right in the middle of the delta but with sufficient depth the lateral water movement can be amended.

Possibly water purification to use the water for drinking and grey water uses.    

Return water traffic to the khlongs with small, medium, and large electric taxi systems A huge new (rejuvenated old-Thailand industry to employ folks).

Resume land on the sides of some of the khlongs.

Sink new piers/sides to create stable load bearing perimeters, remove the cross beams that hold many khlong sides up that forbid any traffic.

Rebuild khlong-side homes and green spaces with walkway/cycleways along the sides of these resumed khlongs and new, small low height green apartments for those relocated.

Open some of the khlongs covered by roads in the 70's onwards and install regular running water transport for commuters and maybe light-rail/tram (like in Euro cities) alongside.

Plant masses of small street trees along these new larger commuter waterways. 

Pay for it by taxing the uber rich of Thailand.

Now, queue the naysayers and those who wanna tell me I'm a complete idiot n' nuts lol  ????????????????????

Stop talking sense, people don't like it ????

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm probably suggesting an unworkable and laughable idea but here goes;

Mass program to clean and then dredge the entire canal system of man dumped detritus and natural silt.

Use a fleet of those skimming garbage boats (I know they have some sort of these craft but I suggest a fleet of different sized for the sized khlongs) and have them run regularly to clean the waterways of both hyacinth and man made flotsam and jetsam.

To help relieve the annual flooding dig new drainage canals around or out of the greater Bangkok delta directly to the sea. (I know the delta is a low lying area so flooding is natural and complicated by the mass of concrete called Bangkok dumped right in the middle of the delta but with sufficient depth the lateral water movement can be amended.

Possibly water purification to use the water for drinking and grey water uses.    

Return water traffic to the khlongs with small, medium, and large electric taxi systems A huge new (rejuvenated old-Thailand industry to employ folks).

Resume land on the sides of some of the khlongs.

Sink new piers/sides to create stable load bearing perimeters, remove the cross beams that hold many khlong sides up that forbid any traffic.

Rebuild khlong-side homes and green spaces with walkway/cycleways along the sides of these resumed khlongs and new, small low height green apartments for those relocated.

Open some of the khlongs covered by roads in the 70's onwards and install regular running water transport for commuters and maybe light-rail/tram (like in Euro cities) alongside.

Plant masses of small street trees along these new larger commuter waterways. 

Pay for it by taxing the uber rich of Thailand.

Now, queue the naysayers and those who wanna tell me I'm a complete idiot n' nuts lol  ????????????????????

Very agreeable comments:

Also, If I’m not mistaken, in 2011 one of the reasons the capital flooded was a ‘perfect storm’ combination. 

- High level 

- High deluge / run-off from the North East

- High levels of precipitation over the capital

Bangkok’s flood protection system was also damaged, however there was nowhere for the existing water to ‘run off too’ as water-levels outside of the capital to the north and seaward were higher than those in the capital.

In this instance, flooding itself was perhaps unavoidable unavoidable without some sort of colossal underground reservoir, similar to the SMART tunnel in KL. 

I suspect that the volume of rain that falls within a few hours is going to flood pretty much any city which is relatively flat.

Given the flooding I’ve already witnessed this week on the roads (sometimes knee deep) its quite surprising that the water level has already receded within the hour. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1