Brit 'dumped' in Thailand after his flight home is cancelled

webfact

On 9/7/2022 at 2:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Find yourself low on funds towards the end of a holiday you’d closely budgeted for and see how you feel when an airline simply cancels your flight and does not provide any alternative solution. 

Your comment is wholly unsympathetic and nasty. 

Travel insurance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, Muzzique said:

They offered to put me up in a  hotel but the thought of 4 days in Brussels left me nauseous. There is a big difference between Rio and Brussels. One is the azzhole of the world and the other is Rio.

Not a pleasant situation but a few days in Brussels is really not that bad…

You can also jump on a train for less than an hour and you are in Ghent or Bruges.

As a beer lover, I might be biased ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

The guy in the story should learn to make the best of the situation and stop whining. There are worse places to be "trapped".

I am sure he is doing fine. Extra few days in Thailand and cover story provided for his boss via media for the delayed return. Job done.

6 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Not a pleasant situation but a few days in Brussels is really not that bad…

You can also jump on a train for less than an hour and you are in Ghent or Bruges.

As a beer lover, I might be biased ????

Belgian chocolate isn't too bad either!

Hello All, the reason I'm late to posting to this article is that I just got back from Berlin, Germany using Scoot. It took 13 hours 20 minutes to get to Singapoe. No videos, no complementary snacks or refreshments. Not even a bottle of water,  My uderstanding was that for long haul flights such as this one airlines were obiliged to provide some form of nourishment to their passengesrs. Apparently not! The Nottingham man has my sympothy and I can relate to his anxiiety. For those who say he should deal with it and move on should take a course in empathy. The same people who would be scraming to the rooftops if this situation happened to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These flight issues pop up daily, they have been since commercial flights started operating. 

The question that needs to be asked is how did this story make headlines. 

Move on, lessons learnt. 

Geeze I'm so glad my company books and pays for all flights, they never use these cheaper carriers.

You get what you pay for. ????

BTW, this article below is a news worthy story, it's believed to be only the twentieth known case of heteropaternal superfecundation in the world ????

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/woman-19-gives-birth-to-twins-fathered-by-two-different-men/news-story/1254544e1c0f4d7449ec2956ae51e85d?utm_campaign=EditorialSB&utm_source=news.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=SocialBakers

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

52 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Tell me more 

Got dumped by KLM at London heath row,

fight LHR to Houston, via Amsterdam flight over booked or what ever it was. had boarding pass, but not allowed to board, flight was full. ( lots of very angry people ) got to be about ten or more people behind me all refused boarding.

So could not get the connection at Amsterdam to Houston, was only offered fight the next day.

Not good enough, went round to British airways desk

a few phone calls by them to KLM  and i was on a BA flight that day to Huston.

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Got dumped by KLM at London heath row,

fight LHR to Houston, via Amsterdam flight over booked or what ever it was. had boarding pass, but not allowed to board, flight was full. ( lots of very angry people ) got to be about ten or more people behind me all refused boarding.

So could not get the connection at Amsterdam to Houston, was only offered fight the next day.

Not good enough, went round to British airways desk

a few phone calls by them to KLM  and i was on a BA flight that day to Huston.

Are you employed through an agency.

An agency will fly you on a budget airline if they can save a buck. Working for a company you're (I was Anyway) treated much better. 

I was working offshore, salary for 15 years, big company.

2016 things got bad in the industry, I got laid off, so I had to work for agency on day rate. 

It's very different working for agencies.

2019 I was working in Mexico, coming home, agency booked my flights (KLM), only a few days before departure, due to their lack of planning or their budgeting etc. 

Anyway, I couldn't upgrade, the flight was full, the agency booked me a middle seat. Worse crew change I've ever had. ????

Oh well, at least I could get shower and beer at the KLM lounge Amsterdam.

These agencies are not concerned about your well-being, they only care about their commission they get for the days you work. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Are you employed through an agency.

I was working offshore, salary for 15 years, big company.

2016 things got bad in the industry, I got laid off, so I had to work for agency on day rate. 

It's very different working for agencies.

2019 I was working in Mexico, coming home, agency booked my flights (KLM), only a few days before departure, due to their lack of planning or their budgeting etc. 

Anyway, I couldn't upgrade, the flight was full, the agency booked me a middle seat. Worse crew change I've ever had. ????

Oh well, at least I could get shower and beer at the KLM lounge Amsterdam.

These agencies are not concerned about your well-being, they only care about their commission they get for the days you work. 

20 Plus years offshore.

Company when that story was, but most of the time agency work. finished offshore work 2014. retarded  now. :giggle:.

Used to check into the Mercure hotel at schiphol

( air side) when working in South America, perfect for 8-9 hour layover before flight to Bangkok, and free beer at the Crown lounge.

Only miss the money now,  not the work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

20 Plus years offshore.

Company when that story was, but most of the time agency work. finished offshore work 2014. retarded  now. :giggle:.

Used to check into the Mercure hotel at schiphol

( air side) when working in South America, perfect for 8-9 hour layover before flight to Bangkok, and free beer at the Crown lounge.

Only miss the money now,  not the work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

Free beer........ Awesome. 

When checking into the departure lounge at Luanda, we be given a few free beers, company provided. 

Good crew change, we were looked after, got a $1,000 a month bonus for working in Angola, didn't like taking the anti malaria tablets, couldn't sleep well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Free beer........ Awesome. 

When checking into the departure lounge at Luanda, we be given a few free beers, company provided. 

Good crew change, we were looked after, got a $1,000 a month bonus for working in Angola, didn't like taking the anti malaria tablets, couldn't sleep well. 

The absolute coolest 'free beer' is in Business Class Lounge Narita Apt in Tokyo.  They have a cooler full of bottles beers from all over, a cooler full of ice cold glasses, and a Kirin Beer dispenser............place the cold glass in the cradle, push a bottun and get a perfect beer with perfect head everytime - 6 hrs of that and ya get totally sloshed.  Snacks are nothing to sneeze at either.

Angolan beer  -  Cuca - was cheaper than water in Luanda 2007, spent two years there, everything else was so expensive.  I once paid $14 for two bell peppers, cause I hadn't seen one in 6 months.            Peace

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Tell me more 

I was bumped off (due to overbooking) a TAM flight from Asuncion to Sao Paulo  together with 2 other passengers. They booked us into a decent hotel, meal provided together with taxi transport. We were rebooked onto a flight later same day and were able to make the original onward connection from Sao Paulo. Gave us a $200 discount voucher for future use too.

7 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Don't know what all the fuss is all about he managed to sort out a flight back to the UK????

Probably happened to lots of others who sorted their own  flights out as well

Well at least he has his name in his local paper  for those that are interested ????

Scoot were happy to take his money when it suited them. If they had cancelled the route prior to departure he would have had a choice. However, he was already out here when they did that. He's left with no other option but full price airlines. Shabby treatment to say the least.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Don't know what all the fuss is all about he managed to sort out a flight back to the UK????

Probably happened to lots of others who sorted their own  flights out as well

Well at least he has his name in his local paper  for those that are interested ????

Next time you travel anywhere and the airline cancels your return flight so the only option remaining is for you to book a one way flight at short notice at 2 to 3x the cost remember what you just wrote !!!

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, 2baht said:

TG has been a disaster for 10 years.

In fact a lot more than 10 years. About 20 years ago I was the regional director for Asia (based in Bkk) for an international m'ment consultancy. I did 2 to 3 day trips / 2 days flights evry week to S'pore, Jakarta, HK, KL, Manila, Seoul and Tokyo.  I/my Thai staff flew Thai for all these trips (because of the company global flying policy - must support the national airline of wherever you are posted). Overal the TG serice was less than satisfactory, sometimes just awful and often plainly rude hosties. My own Thai staff complained regularly re TG attitudes/rudeness/refusal to give service.

I was under pressure from my Thai staff and I was becoming quite dissatisfied with TG so I abandoned the company international flight policy and we arranged travel contracts with: S'pore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

If Thailand is your dream trip how is a few extra days a big problem?

Hotel 500 baht

Cold beer

Nice stir fry

Big problem for a 54yo to solve

Maybe he was hoping for a free flight next time!

and if you're really hard up I think you can still get a 'loom' on Chaiyapun for a couple hundred baht. stayed in one once for a few hours, they're pretty grim but probably still better than being back in rainy old Pommyland ????

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

and if you're really hard up I think you can still get a 'loom' on Chaiyapun for a couple hundred baht. stayed in one once for a few hours, they're pretty grim but probably still better than being back in rainy old Pommyland ????

Backpacker place 300 baht. 7/11 food.

If i got stuck for 3 days yippie enjoy! Keep receipts claim on insurance! 

Send email to airline ceo ask for $100 credit next time or bad publicity

Turn a problem into a benefit

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Brilliant, a warrior who wouldn't have the same problem because he would email the CEO with a threat!  You're a winner!

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Exactly, about bloody time, a positive comment.

Stop making excuses, this article, complaining Brit is just giving fuel to the moaners. Find a solution, turn the negative into a positive. You can spend your whole life whinging and whining but there's always an option. 

A few years ago I had a flight from Angola to BKK, stop over Dubai, I forgot what happened but there was a 14 hour delay for the connecting flight to BKK. 

I found a tour guide, did some Dubai sightseeing.

I could of sat in the corner and cryed for 14 hours because I hadn't seen my family for 1 month but I chose not to. 

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Exactly, about bloody time, a positive comment.

Stop making excuses, this article, complaining Brit is just giving fuel to the moaners. Find a solution, turn the negative into a positive. You can spend your whole life whinging and whining but there's always an option. 

A few years ago I had a flight from Angola to BKK, stop over Dubai, I forgot what happened but there was a 14 hour delay for the connecting flight to BKK. 

I found a tour guide, did some Dubai sightseeing.

I could of sat in the corner and cryed for 14 hours because I hadn't seen my family for 1 month but I chose not to. 

The story just states that his flight was cancelled and he got stuck and he tried to re-schedule.

The negative excuse is coming out of your mind ????‍♂️ ????.

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Brilliant, a warrior who wouldn't have the same problem because he would email the CEO with a threat!  You're a winner!

Gee whiz flight cancelled, big drama. Flights were stopped for 2 years with covid.

I got free hotel and taxi when my flight was cancelled.

But Im an adult not a 54yo manchild.

Edited by Sparktrader