Brit 'dumped' in Thailand after his flight home is cancelled

webfact

During the Covid times I was in Thailand and Qatar cancelled my flight several times! Each time they cancelled I had to phone and they gave me another flight which was then cancelled a few days before each flight. In the end I bought a return ticket with Emirates. Flew to the UK, 6 months later back to Thailand. I then called Qatar to remind them about the ticket I had bought about 18 months before and they cancelled the return flight. At the time I was not expecting much after such a long gap but they promptly issued me with a free replacement ticket back to the UK! Great service.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Happens a lot with Jetstar too from several destinations where passengers had their flight cancelled on them twice and more and got them stranded having to fend for themselves for accommodations and other arrangements, many swore never to fly JetStar or Quantas ever again......

On 8/13/2022 at 4:34 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

So you started it by saying “in a place where flip flops are regarded as protective footwear, and a baseball cap is a crash helmet!”

Then when somebody continues in the same vein, you are rude and dismissive to them; time for you to get over your self importance.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, sambum said:

But you can still have an opinion about something knowing that it has little chance of directly altering anything - nobody is suggesting you join a rally, but by voicing an opinion, you let people know which side of the fence you sit on!

Oh god, I wish some one had posted about jet star  befor now, my parents 81 yrs old left me in Saigon and were stranded in Bangkok by jet star only on 3rd if Sept. Jet star cancelled the flight to Aus without notifying passengers,  on arriving  for the flight my parents were told, “ flight cancelled “ next flight  in 10 days, here’s a hotel for tonight , see you next week. Jet star / Qantas you are the <deleted>s to treat passengers this way, but to do this to elderly people, one of who is terminally I’ll, is the lowest of the low, I and. All of my  closest family will never fly Quantas or a Qantas affiliated airline again ,

I personally have flown more than 2000 flights but will not even consider your airline group in my life again 

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

<snip>

But to cancel a flight completely and not offer a solution is outrageous. 

You might like to read my previous post.

That's the risk you take when you take a point to point LCC.

They have no alternative solution to offer other than give you your money back.

No interline agreement, means no other options. 

Just be aware of that and if you're OK with the risk go for it

This is the attitude of the airlines - IMO, its wholly wrong. 

What you say (write)... is ‘buy this product at your own risk’...       thats completely wrong of any industry to act like this.

He can sue the airline, I've done it, it works, it's cheaper for them to pay you than to go to court. I am this moment filing a suit against Saudia (Saudi Arabian Airlines) for stranding me in Saudi Arabia and no one helping to book a new connecting flight. You look for the local office in your country, usually at the airport, and you serve the papers or send a copy of the complaint there. You'll get a phone call within 48 hours. Make sure they know that you're ready to post a tiktok video if they don't want to play ball. 

• Thanks 2

After having to book a one way flight at 95% of the cost of a return, after the booking agent cancelled my return flight, I only ever book direct with airlines.

Only exception is Air Asia - I do not book with them at all since they refused to refund COVID cancellations to myself and many other people.  But with proper airlines, they normally sort out an alternative flight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He made an error, its *Scot* airlines and not "Scoop" 

The airline is "Scoot".

I admit actually suggesting it as an option to my student daughter for a cheap flight to Bangkok. Now that they're no longer flying from the UK, I'm glad she didn't want to schlep out to Gatwick.

During the Icelandic Volcanic Ash Cloud closing western European airspace back in 2010, my wife, son and I were "trapped in Thailand" for an extra week at the end of our trip. Were we bothered? Hell no as it was the best and most relaxing part of the Easter/Songkhran holidays. Our airline added extra flights once airspace was reopened and got us back to the UK without further delay. That airline was Thai Airways. Excellent customer sevice. The guy in the story should learn to make the best of the situation and stop whining. There are worse places to be "trapped".

10 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

During the Icelandic Volcanic Ash Cloud closing western European airspace back in 2010, my wife, son and I were "trapped in Thailand" for an extra week at the end of our trip. Were we bothered? Hell no as it was the best and most relaxing part of the Easter/Songkhran holidays. Our airline added extra flights once airspace was reopened and got us back to the UK without further delay. That airline was Thai Airways. Excellent customer sevice. The guy in the story should learn to make the best of the situation and stop whining. There are worse places to be "trapped".

Force majeure is somewhat easier to accept than 'force couldn’t give a f**£’....    particularly when the airline takes measures to resolve an unavoidable situation brought about by an unpredicted natural disaster rather than outrageous business ethics.... 

15 hours ago, Letseng said:

Nothing to do with Scoot. He bought from lastminute.com. Never buy through an agent.

... and if you do, be careful with your choice of date. "September 11" is exactly one to avoid ....

Edited by ttrd

1 minute ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I am in Bali and the Jetstar flights really are a mess. Not fussed about the possibility of staying a few extra days but the liability for overstay fines at 2,500B a day will be interesting

It happens everyday. 

I have no idea why this Brit made the AN headlines. ????

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

... and if you do, be careful with your choice of date. "September 11" is exactly one to avoid ....

Sept 11th is the best day to travel. I've done many flights from North America to SE Asia on the 11th and the flights were relatively empty. Very easy to find 3 or 4 empty seats in a row to lay down on sleep. Wonderful...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

A Nottingham man has been left "trapped" in Thailand after his return ticket was cancelled two weeks before the flight. Paul Henstock, a taxi driver from Mapperley Park, was hoping to have the holiday of his dreams in Bangkok.

Is this amateur dramatic week ?

Poor guy on a 10 week holiday - I never made it to more than 4 - probably spent all his money and fall in love on first sight and run out of last savings I’d guess. Don’t travel if you can’t pay for it. The world can be brutal in many way. Good luck getting back 

every season the same thing happens, people taking the cheap airlines thru "tourist" agencies and then getting ripped off! and they can't do anything about it. my recommendation? if you can't afford to fly on a regular airline, stay home.

1 minute ago, gunner1 said:

every season the same thing happens, people taking the cheap airlines thru "tourist" agencies and then getting ripped off! and they can't do anything about it. my recommendation? if you can't afford to fly on a regular airline, stay home.

And preferably, buy directly from the airline. 

I don't know the reputation of all the agencies but I certainly know getting  a refund from a couple of them is far from easy and awful to deal with. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the attitude of the airlines - IMO, its wholly wrong. 

What you say (write)... is ‘buy this product at your own risk’...       thats completely wrong of any industry to act like this.

But thats the terms and conditions you sign up for whenever you book a flight on an LCC.

There is a risk involved for that basement price.

For regular airlines there are basic rules.

Anything that is within the airlines control, mechanical, crew issues etc you will get rebooked on the next available flight, and if necessary on another airline with an interline agreement, and hotel and meal vouchers.

These are real costs which the airline has to shoulder.

The reason the LCC are cheap, is they strip out these costs, among many others, and even though folks 'maybe' they read the T&C's they just ignore them, then bitch when things go south.

The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is just as relevant to the airline industry as any other

23 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I just can't feel anything for this guy. Strap your boots on and get on with it. Party for 10 weeks and now wants pity. It sucks to be him, but it is not really news worthy IMHO.

He's paid for his 10 weeks party with hard earned cash, and paid for his flight with the same cash. He deserves a refund, and compensation - not scornful comments like this.

(P.S. I have seen much less newsworthy posts on here and in some Western tabloids!)

Edited by sambum
Spelling
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

But thats the terms and conditions you sign up for whenever you book a flight on an LCC.

There is a risk involved for that basement price.

For regular airlines there are basic rules.

Anything that is within the airlines control, mechanical, crew issues etc you will get rebooked on the next available flight, and if necessary on another airline with an interline agreement, and hotel and meal vouchers.

These are real costs which the airline has to shoulder.

The reason the LCC are cheap, is they strip out these costs, among many others, and even though folks 'maybe' they read the T&C's they just ignore them, then bitch when things go south.

The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is just as relevant to the airline industry as any other

..................'you get what you pay for' .................

But he hasn't got what he paid for , has he?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

..................'you get what you pay for' .................

But he hasn't got what he paid for , has he?

He got exactly what he paid for.

A flight with no guarantee of rebooking, since they just can't and at best a refund.

They are cheap because they don't have interline agreements. You can't magic these things out of thin air, and you just have to accept the T&C's you signed up for when you booked the lowest possible fare you could find

Edited by GinBoy2

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

He got exactly what he paid for.

A flight with no guarantee of rebooking, since they just can't and at best a refund

If you paid for a car through a dealer, and they didn't suppy it, you'd expect your money back.

This situation stinks.

Just now, sambum said:

If you paid for a car through a dealer, and they didn't suppy it, you'd expect your money back.

This situation stinks.

And if you decided to sign a purchase agreement with the T&C's that stated if the company couldn't provide you with the car they would refund your money, with no alternative car?

Thats what you do when you buy these tickets.

READ the damn conditions before you hit the purchase button

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

And if you decided to sign a purchase agreement with the T&C's that stated if the company couldn't provide you with the car they would refund your money, with no alternative car?

Thats what you do when you buy these tickets.

READ the damn conditions before you hit the purchase button

The "damn" conditions shouldn't exist!