Brit 'dumped' in Thailand after his flight home is cancelled

webfact

21 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

You might like to read my previous post.

That's the risk you take when you take a point to point LCC.

They have no alternative solution to offer other than give you your money back.

No interline agreement, means no other options. 

Just be aware of that and if you're OK with the risk go for it

That’s very interesting to know, I fly very regularly and have been stranded a number of times, each time the airlines in question had a rep sort an alternate flight, it’s not often I would book with a LCC, now I’m convinced they are not worth the hassle. 

On 9/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Rmac442 said:

And Scoot said ...?

Go to the airport and go to Scoot check in and demand to see a senior representative to sort it out ..

Alternatively buy a circa £800 ticket to get home.

Lastminute.com is only a provider ..

Wizz did this to me in Spain ..email at 4 in the morning for a 10 o'clock flight on the same day ..cancelled !!!

'Trapped in Spain !!????'

His flight contract/booking is with Last Minute not Scoot; so Scoot has no dog in this fight. 

On 9/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, spidermike007 said:

1. There are far worse places in the world to get "trapped".

2. I always book directly with the airlines. Most of the time the prices are the same, if not less. And the service tends to be far better. I all the many years of traveling back and forth, dozens of trips in all, nothing like this has ever happened to me. And if it did, I would imagine a top airline like EVA, or ANA would find another flight for me in a jiffy. 

Too much common sense for some travelers...they'd rather save the $10 fare difference and chance it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A very harsh outlook which highlights you as somewhat of a tool !!

The guy budgeted for a holiday.... Purchased a well priced ticket in advance.

Now the airline has cancelled the flight without providing a viable alternative option.

The tourist is now stuck with no reasonable return flight home, flights are currently extortionate and well beyond any budget he may have accounted for. 

The tourist is now going to go well above budget to travel home for no fault of his own... then we have these guys saying... I feel nothing for this guy !!!... 

IF an airline is going to cancel a flight the ONLY fair option is to provide an alternative ‘similar’ means of transport as close to the travel date and time as possible.

Any Airline which simply ‘cancels’ flights and just says ‘you can apply for a refund’ is operating despicably IMO and they should be held accountable. 

Maybe he should have stuck with Brighton ????

• Sad 1

Happened to me once, never again, I'm no good with Internet bookings and I don't trust them. 

Now I go to flight center in London and in person and fly through Thai Airways or Eva brilliant service and cheap also I have to say they will match Internet prices if found they are above. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Agree...people pay peanuts and expect caviar. 

NO, thats wrong...  People pay peanuts and expect peanuts.

Scoot and other airlines are getting away with just cancelling tickets and leaving tourists stranded. 

Jet Star have just done the same with flights from Bali - its become a major issue. 

1 hour ago, allyoops said:

Best to book flights direct with the airline, booking through agencies leaves you open to this sort of stuff.

Booking direct with Scoot would not have prevented scoot from cancelling the flight. 

It does add a middle man to the refund claim, but the guy would still be left in Thailand without a ticket home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:
On 9/7/2022 at 4:15 PM, Puccini said:

Singapore (SQ) airlines is still flying and Scoop could easily have offered a rerouting on SQ, perhaps not to Gatwick but to Heathrow.

Or Even Manchester,as He'd be Nearer to his Nottingham Home !!

Exactly this...    it would have been very easy for an airline to provide any traveller with alternative flights - IF they cared. 

The issue is they don’t care - airlines have been getting away with this behaviour for too long. 

So long no that a number of posters here are suffering from some sort of ‘airline Stockholm syndrome’ and suggesting that because the ticket was cheaper and the airline is a LCC they are with in their rights to treat a customer so terribly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly this...    it would have been very easy for an airline to provide any traveller with alternative flights - IF they cared. 

The issue is they don’t care - airlines have been getting away with this behaviour for too long. 

So long no that a number of posters here are suffering from some sort of ‘airline Stockholm syndrome’ and suggesting that because the ticket was cheaper and the airline is a LCC they are with in their rights to treat a customer so terribly. 

Very good points! The airline have discontinued flying that route. Passengers who have already booked but not yet flown (outwards) will be disappointed but have options. This guy is actually half way through his booking so the airline should be responsible for arranging an alternative return flight at no extra cost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

They are cheap because they don't have interline agreements.

Scoot, an LLC (low cost carrier), is wholly owned by Singapore Airlines (SQ) and some SQ-coded flights are operated by Scoot. This looks very much like "interline agreements" to me.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, ezzra said:

Happens a lot with Jetstar too from several destinations where passengers had their flight cancelled on them twice and more and got them stranded having to fend for themselves for accommodations and other arrangements, many swore never to fly JetStar or Quantas ever again......

Jetstar has form in defrauding customers. I have been issued a travel voucher in place of the refund I wanted after cancellation. In a message that is supposed to make me happy, they will be extending the validity of the voucher until 2023, after which it becomes void.

They are in for a bit of a surprise, I have kept and printed every bit of correspondence I have had with them since the Bangkok floods of 2011, when they also dudded me on another voucher. It's going to the ACCC when the timing is right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Scoot, an LLC (low cost carrier), is wholly owned by Singapore Airlines (SQ) and some SQ-coded flights are operated by Scoot. This looks very much like "interline agreements" to me.

The reason they do this, to offer the lower fares they separate the subsidiary from SQ so they can do all the cost cutting exercise's I've described.

If you started then adding in the benefits, what do you think those lower paid flight crews would say?

Well if you treat the pax as if  they are on SQ, what about us?

Then you just turn Scoot into SQ

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, ezzra said:

Happens a lot with Jetstar too from several destinations where passengers had their flight cancelled on them twice and more and got them stranded having to fend for themselves for accommodations and other arrangements, many swore never to fly JetStar or Quantas ever again......

Jetstar cancelled my 3rd September flight back to Melbourne the night before I was flying out. Offered a replacement flight but none were available until September 15th, 6 days after my Thai permission to stay expired. So off to immigration to pay 1900 baht for a 30 day extension. Now I can stay until October 9th but the latest replacement flight is 24th September. Oh well, 2 extra weeks  is better than nothing. Might as well make the best of it. ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dexxter said:

Jetstar cancelled my 3rd September flight back to Melbourne the night before I was flying out. Offered a replacement flight but none were available until September 15th, 6 days after my Thai permission to stay expired. So off to immigration to pay 1900 baht for a 30 day extension. Now I can stay until October 9th but the latest replacement flight is 24th September. Oh well, 2 extra weeks  is better than nothing. Might as well make the best of it. ????

All claimable on insurance

• Thanks 1