Brit 'dumped' in Thailand after his flight home is cancelled

webfact

Several thousand Australian tourists are currently stranded in S. E. Asia, including in Thailand, because half of Jetstar's fleet is grounded.

One Brit who buys a dirt-cheap special holiday, with apparently little financial backup, becomes headline news on AseanNow because his flight also gets cancelled.

Not much doubt about for whom this forum is now aimed, despite the pretense of it being for all foreigners in the ASEAN region.

Just had my flight in November from Stanstead to Swampy with Emirates cancelled. I rang their helpline and they rescheduled me for same day, same time but from Heathrow.

I originally went with Stanstead because the flight from Heathrow was more expensive but they didn't charge me any extra and Heathrow is much more convenient.

8 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I just can't feel anything for this guy. Strap your boots on and get on with it. Party for 10 weeks and now wants pity. It sucks to be him, but it is not really news worthy IMHO.

It is a worthy warning to be fully aware of cheap deals online with over sold low cost seats.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually airline has to provide another flight, or you find an alternate flight and charge them. That maybe just EU airlines so need to check

I have flown Scoot many times from Thailand to Jakarta, via Singapore. They once cancelled my flight whilst I was in transit in Singapore and vice versa,  they put me on the next available flight. If they cancel it they will put you on another flight, but this guy booked thru a third party, that may well be the problem?

Edited by mikeymike100

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Several thousand Australian tourists are currently stranded in S. E. Asia, including in Thailand, because half of Jetstar's fleet is grounded.

One Brit who buys a dirt-cheap special holiday, with apparently little financial backup, becomes headline news on AseanNow because his flight also gets cancelled.

Not much doubt about for whom this forum is now aimed, despite the pretense of it being for all foreigners in the ASEAN region.

Made big news in Australia. Too many maintenance cuts to Qantas and Jetstar it seems. People taking sick leave. Low unemployment so hard to replace. My flights 2 months ago were 3 and 6 hours late. They have to be careful because people can only take so much before they give up on the cheaper tickets. I did book a cheapie though for next May for $350 return to Phuket to get rid of some vouchers. Hope they get their act together by then.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Critizize the ethics of the airline. They shoudn't take bookings/money then strand people, highly unethical/immoral.  

Only book at the airline ,Not a provider Then one can have a case of a proper refund or a rescheduled flight.

I'd Make a  massive fuss and get on the phone telling them to fix it in strong terms.

I got trapped in Brussels one time with a budget airline when I was on my way to Rio for a 2 week holiday. Inbound aircraft from rio to Brussels was cancelled and never left Rio so arrived in Belgium to find there was no flight and my luggage was in storage.

Pity no one told me even though they knew 14hrs before I arrived that there was no aircraft. 

They Let me travel on the last flight out of the UK.  Next Rio flight by them was in 4 days.

They offered to put me up in a  hotel but the thought of 4 days in Brussels left me nauseous. There is a big difference between Rio and Brussels. One is the azzhole of the world and the other is Rio.

I kicked up a fuss and made their life a misery. Result I was out on a the Varig flight 2hrs later and upgraded to business class.

Mind you it took 10 days for my luggage to catch up with me. I was there with only the clothes I was wearing. Luckily it was flip flops, shorts and a tee-shirt. My future wife washed them every night for me so I only got to wear something else for the last 3 days.

Pity she turned out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Got married, lived in the UK and instead of bringing that Brazilian vibe she morphed into a typical British wife. Miserable, lazy, slobbish and uncaring. Not what I signed up for.

My advice to him. Book a couple of girls and wait it out. Keep on making a problem and they will not want the bad publicity. The loudest barking dog always gets fed first.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Made big news in Australia. Too many maintenance cuts to Qantas and Jetstar it seems. People taking sick leave. Low unemployment so hard to replace. My flights 2 months ago were 3 and 6 hours late. They have to be careful because people can only take so much before they give up on the cheaper tickets. I did book a cheapie though for next May for $350 return to Phuket to get rid of some vouchers. Hope they get their act together by then.  

There is not and cannot be maintenance cuts with airlines,   the reason being that baggage handlers are paid such a low wage with long hours and strenuous work conditions they cannot get staff.  This coupled with everyone trying to go on holidays at the same time has put enormous pressure on Jetstar and Qantas ....  the maintenance is a small part of the problem as all aircraft have scheduled services at certain flown hours accrued.  

10 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Travel with limited funds then you need insurance, several kinds.

with limited funds, you can't get insurance.  not mandatory, so why get it if you are on a tight budget.

Listen Brits............help your fellow man!!!   1000 (whatever your currency is, Kip?) each!!!

Let him enjoy the LOS forever....

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Scot were offering extremely low fares to the U.K , 4000 Baht from Thailand to the U.K , you cannot expect a decent service if you are paying an extremely cheap fare 

No, but you are entitled to the service you paid for - a flight. Even if it has no seat back TV or free food and drinks.

If the cancellation email was sent by the airline then that indicates that the airline had acknowledged and accepted the booking,  it is the airline's doing and not the ticket agency.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Letseng said:

Nothing to do with Scoot. He bought from lastminute.com. Never buy through an agent.

But, he had a return ticket and the flight was cancelled surely the carrier should re-allocate hi to another flight. Surely a cancelled flight does not mean a cancelled ticket, or does it?

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

No, but you are entitled to the service you paid for - a flight. Even if it has no seat back TV or free food and drinks.

If the cancellation email was sent by the airline then that indicates that the airline had acknowledged and accepted the booking,  it is the airline's doing and not the ticket agency.

He paid his money to an agency and he needs to contact the agency to get that money back 

52 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

I don’t understand why this is newsworthy. Many travelers have their flights canceled.  And they have to do what needs to be done 

Man has flight canceled.  

Yawn.  

It is not even close to being newsworthy, I really don't get it.  And AN are trawling the Nottingham Post for "news" now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

There is not and cannot be maintenance cuts with airlines,   the reason being that baggage handlers are paid such a low wage with long hours and strenuous work conditions they cannot get staff.  This coupled with everyone trying to go on holidays at the same time has put enormous pressure on Jetstar and Qantas ....  the maintenance is a small part of the problem as all aircraft have scheduled services at certain flown hours accrued.  

It's not just baggage handling - there are significant issues with engineering which some say has been exacerbated by cuts and outsourcing over the years.

This is from one of Australia's largest papers notes the following on September 6 :

'Jetstar has been operating with half its long-haul fleet out of service because of maintenance and engineering issues, contributing to widespread cancellations that have affected thousands of customers’ international travel plans.'

It refers to the Four Corners program on ABC this week as follows:

'The ABC’s Four Corners reported on Monday night that some Qantas employees and unions were concerned that cost-cutting was putting its reputation for safety at risk.'

Jetstar planes grounded, thousands of Australians stuck abroad (smh.com.au)

This too:

Jetstar Bali passengers to fly Qantas after cancellations – Australian Aviation

“Unfortunately, we’ve had to cancel some services between Australia and Denpasar due to engineering requirements,” said Jetstar. 

They do have a long history and reputation for cuts and outsourcing sometimes for practical reasons such as Covid shutdowns but they have built a reputation for overall cost cutting. 

Coronavirus: Qantas adds to job cuts by outsourcing 2,000 roles - BBC News

This story isn't recent but shows they have over the years cut maintenance staff to lower levels than they had in the past - this is when they had the same Chief Executive Officer. 

More maintenance jobs go as Qantas continues engineering restructure – Australian Aviation

You make a point though that there may be a range of reasons for their issues, and they would of course have to maintain funding for maintenance by law, but it seems their maintenance and engineering is not keeping up with their flight schedule.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampy999 said:

When I had little money I always had a credit card tucked away for unforeseen problems like this, maybe he should have planned his dream holiday a little more thoughtfully.

He said, many hours ago, the money aspect wasn't an issue.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

it's a bit exaggerated imo .....   I mean .. dream ruined  '      come on man !

just get back up and manage it ...   

worse places to be stranded eh ....i was stranded in soi 7 for 3 days..Sadly the wife found me ....get on with it  mate  its only a blip 

• Like 1