Brit 'dumped' in Thailand after his flight home is cancelled

webfact

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

But operationally it can work.

I flew AirAsia from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumphur to Sydney in Nov 2019. I'm in a wheelchair.

AirAsia supvr., walking around the departure lines at Chiang Mai spottted me with wheelchair, she quickly asked if I was checking-in for the KL flight, I confirmed and within 2 minutes she had 2 young assistants on the spot with the AirAsia w'chair (mine was packed up to be checkin-in). They got me comfortable quickly and then to a more distant check-in desk and check-in quickly completed. She realized my Thai son and his family (his wife and 3 kids) were with me, she asked if I wanted to wait or go straight onto the aircraft? There wasn't a lot f time to spare so I said 'go the the a'craft now please'. AA lady tasked one of the young attendants to get me onto the a'craft, all done smoothly and politely and with care for my comfort. At KLIA an attendant waiting at a'craft door to take me to the AA lounge, staff at lounge very caring and polite. Back onto a'craft, hosties politely checked several time if I needed a toilet break etc. All meals excellent. Just before arrival at Sydney International a polite hostie asked me to remain seated for a few minutes. Two young attendants slipped into the a'craft as soon as the door was open. They knew where I was seated, they came over and politely explained the procedure and checked what luggage etc., I had. Ten minutes later one girl returned to my seat to explain my chair was being unpacked just outside the a'craft door. All done smoothly and politely. As soon as 90+% of the passsengers had alighted they started to move me slowly to the a'craft door and then carefully into my w'chair. They exlained the procedure well; one girl would stay with me and the other girl would get quickly to the passport arrival desk and get my passport ready to be processed, then she went (with a phto of the luggae stickers on my boarding pass) to retrieve my 2 suitcases. On arrival at passport desks a border force official quickly noticed me (by my p'port photo) and came over to return my p'port and checked if the AA staff were taking care of me OK. I confirmed YES. As soon as we got about 15 meters past the p'port desk the second AA girl was waiting with my 2 cases. During all of this the girl who stayed with me had asked if I had relatives or a car service booked to meet me at the a'port. I gave her the name and tel. no of the car service. She called them and they advised the car was caught in traffic and it would be arrving at Inter airport arrivals in about 20 minutes. AA girls asked if I would like to get a quick coffee and a snack. I said yes and we all had coffee and a snack. Car arrived, AA girls got me into the car made sure I was comfortable. All done.

The entire trip was pleasant and well organized; 10+/10.

Sure things have changed since because of Covid- 19, however when it's all operating again smoothly I would have no hesitation to use AA for same/any trip. 

To be fair, Air Asia do it better than SCOOT.

4 hours ago, OnTheLash said:

Not sure if Scoot are even flying that route anymore. I looked a while back and there were no available flights.

Booking through a third party can be a problem in situations like this.

It doesn't always pay to go for the cheapest flight.

I use Skyscanner to see what is available and then go straight to the Airline.

In my opinion the best 2 options for Bangkok are EVA and Thai direct, booked through the airline. Less can go wrong.

Emirates or Qatar not bad options as well. 

Eva were 1st class in my experience ... VIE-BKK. Checkin staff great and helpful, cabin staff also extremely attentive (it took less than 10 seconds for 1 to respond to a call button) and friendly.

And they were full so cancellations unlikely, especially since it's onwards to Taipei.

Just saying.

21 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I don’t quite understand why this is considered newsworthy enough for a headline thread. What about all the other people on his flight, do THEY not get a thread with accompanying headline? And what about all the people on all the other cancelled flights?

TBH this is happening so regularly atm it hardly qualifies as newsworthy on an individual basis. Perhaps aggregating all cancelled flights together as a current trend story might be worth some investigative journalism as to the causes, but as a one off, this guys predicament is all too routine.

The reason's probably as mundane as the story.

He probably called in to the Nottingham Post to let off some steam, it was spiked for a couple of days, probably because of Truss. Then they had space and the duty editor decided to add a bit of international color and take up arms for a local. Summat like that.

It didn't make the Times or the Guardian.

One of the many lessons learned during Covid:

Do not book through an agent or consolidator, to save a few quid, which is an neglectable amount compared with the total vacation costs.

Buy directly from the airline website.

If things go wrong - and nowadays a lot of things are going wrong -   you will pay multiples for the small savings, hanging in the waiting queue of an consolidator’s call center and additional fees.

Well - and Scoot ? … that’s an additional question …

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Happens a lot with Jetstar too from several destinations where passengers had their flight cancelled on them twice and more and got them stranded having to fend for themselves for accommodations and other arrangements, many swore never to fly JetStar or Quantas ever again......

Its Qantas but hey we all make mistakes ????

Had Jetstar cancel on me in Bali fours ago but they gave us vouchers which allowed us to stay in real nice accom' near the airport and eat up big as well. I think recently though they have seriously dropped the baton. I hope Rex make a play for some International flights as they are way cheaper in Oz and way better too.