WHA and BYD to Announce Plans for EV Plant in Thailand

snoop1130

cea0a8605270d03ee5fbf42c2007c945_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - WHA Group, a Thai industrial estate developer, has indicated that the company and BYD, a Chinese electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer, will soon announce plans for an EV manufacturing facility in Thailand.

WHA representatives said the two companies will hold a joint news conference on Thursday (8 Sep) to discuss plans for the EV plant at an industrial estate in Rayong province.

In August, Thailand’s Board of Investment (BOI) approved a group of investment pledges, including BYD’s US$491 million (17.9 billion baht) electric vehicle production project.

According to Chinese news outlet Jiemian, BYD plans to begin selling EVs in Thailand later this year, providing local consumers with a greater selection of vehicles to choose from.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG220907155407057

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-09-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

Curious partnership for Thailand. 

BYD is the world's #2 all-EV auto manufacturer (American Tesla being #1). As I recall, Chinese auto imports into Thailand are import duty-free as are Tesla's purchased online from its China factories.

What's the sense of a Thai company - BYD partnership? Save from local delivery or something more hidden? Special tax breaks? Politics that promote the current regime's reputation?

Also curious that four other foreign EV auto manufacturers (Toyota*, Nissan, Honda and the AutoAlliance) have announced they too will start manufacturing EVs in Thailand.

https://www.nationthailand.com/specials/40015149

But no mention of any Thai partnerships.

* as I recall Toyota previously partnered (ie., as an investor) with BYD to build its EVs, then place Toyota badges on the vehicles. 

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

BYD is the world's #2 all-EV auto manufacturer (American Tesla being #1). As I recall, Chinese auto imports into Thailand are import duty-free as are Tesla's purchased online from its China factories.

What's the sense of a Thai company - BYD partnership? Save from local delivery or something more hidden? Special tax breaks? Politics that promote the current regime's reputation?

Also curious that four other foreign EV auto manufacturers (Toyota*, Nissan, Honda and the AutoAlliance) have announced they too will start manufacturing EVs in Thailand.

* as I recall Toyota previously partnered (ie., as an investor) with BYD to build its EVs, then place Toyota badges on the vehicles. 

More competition may keep the prices down...

China can play-off against Japan.

17 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Good luck taking your EV on a trip and finding a charging station.

Charging stations should be a great challenge with all the flooding.

Thailand still has power disruptions so where is the additional power required for EV's going to come from?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

For those who live in houses, charging can be done at night when rates are lower and the demand for power is less.

I dont think you understand my question. The electrical network can only just supply the requirements now, how will they cope with the additional load if we all change to an EV?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I dont think you understand my question. The electrical network can only just supply the requirements now, how will they cope with the additional load if we all change to an EV?

They will take more land, raze the natural vegetation to build more power plants, whether it be hydro, gas, wind, solar or coal or some other form to destroy and change the environment wherever these things are positioned.

It is obvious that it is not all about green energy but additional forms of business controlled and promoted by government to manipulate and earn and tax and create employment which is also taxed.

Edited by userabcd

10 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I think I understood. Most charging will get done in the evening. Also, not everyone is going to have an EV right away. That's going to take time. Thailand does keep on expanding it's power generating capacity. Also, keep in mind that EV drivers, like most drivers, don't actually travel that much in a day. So even if they do use public chargers, it would only be a fraction of them on any particular day.

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

They will take more land, raze the natural vegetation to build more power plants, whether it be hydro, gas, wind, solar or coal or some other form to destroy and change the environment wherever these things are positioned.

It is obvious that it is not all about green energy but additional forms of business controlled and promoted by government to manipulate and earn and tax and create employment which is also taxed.

So it will be ready around 2100 if everything goes well.

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Not really, WHA owns about 60% of Thailand's industrial estates and has other market leading businesses. 

Edited by FritsSikkink

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

WHA isn't controlled by the government.

3 hours ago, transam said:

A Tesla is not an MG, that folk keep talking about here....:stoner:

So you think that an auto manufacturer isn't going to take into account occasions when their EV is going to have to roll through fairly deep water? Someone should hasten to advise them of this eventuality before it's too late.

Edited by placeholder

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

So you think that an auto manufacturer isn't going to take into account occasions when their EV is going to have to roll through fairly deep water? Someone should hasten to advise them of this eventuality before it's too late.

Weeeel, there is quality, and there is cheap in anything you can buy.

The cheap doesn't usually stand the test of time or do the job properly, which I am sure you have experienced at some time....????

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeeel, there is quality, and there is cheap in anything you can buy.

The cheap doesn't usually stand the test of time or do the job properly, which I am sure you have experienced at some time....????

I haven't seen any reports of MG autos being short circuited due to high waters. And their sales are increasing hugely. Particularly in the UK.

MG’s profile soars as sales rise in many markets

"Specifically, in the United Kingdom, MG Motor UK has built on record-breaking 2021 achievement with stellar Q1 sales results. For instance, the brand’s sales for first three months of the year exceeded those for the whole of 2019; thus sustaining the momentum as UK’s fastest-growing mainstream car brand.

Building on the 2021 performance, the marque’s success continued into the new year with registrations in January and February (4,471 units) totalling more than those for the whole of 2017 (4,471 units)."

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/mgs-profile-soars-as-sales-rise-in-many-markets/

58 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I haven't seen any reports of MG autos being short circuited due to high waters. And their sales are increasing hugely. Particularly in the UK.

MG’s profile soars as sales rise in many markets

"Specifically, in the United Kingdom, MG Motor UK has built on record-breaking 2021 achievement with stellar Q1 sales results. For instance, the brand’s sales for first three months of the year exceeded those for the whole of 2019; thus sustaining the momentum as UK’s fastest-growing mainstream car brand.

Building on the 2021 performance, the marque’s success continued into the new year with registrations in January and February (4,471 units) totalling more than those for the whole of 2017 (4,471 units)."

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/mgs-profile-soars-as-sales-rise-in-many-markets/

4471 units is nothing.