VPN's

lelapin

I am having trouble accessing ITV and BBC (particularly I Player) with my Surfshark VPN and the problems keeping a connection are getting worse each week.  Any recommendations from readers re another provider with reliable performance at a good price. I mostly use VPN for this purpose and occasionally to access a site where I am considered to be a UK resident.

image.png.d9eb0b8f4819aa6051b8c530f517e4e0.png

Edited by lelapin

I've been using 'Browsec' for a few years now. I can't complain. It is good.

Browsec VPN is a Chrome VPN extension that protects your IP from Internet threats and lets you browse privately for free.

Is Browsec VPN trustworthy?

Browsec VPN promises a lot for its users. It's bold enough to make claims that speeds reach up to 100mbps without sacrificing secure, private browsing on the internet. Claims are all well and good.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thanks 1

I was using PrivateVPN, and it was OK, but the renewal is due, so I have been looking at others.

I only use the VPN to watch UK TV, iPlayer ITV hub etc. I have just been trying VeePN as a Firefox addon. After 2 days it is working perfectly and it is free.

I believe it is also available for Chrome.

I did the compare VPNs exercise a few months ago as my Express VPN was going go to be renewed and I was looking for a cheaper alternative that had servers in Australia. I checked numerous VPN suppliers and ended on settling for "Tunnel Bear" of which has been very reliable.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just installed it on my PC, from your recommendation. It doesn't work for iPlayer. Express does!

EDIT. BBC1 does not work, BBC2 & ITV do work. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:
5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

EDIT. BBC1 does not work

Did you put the VPN in for the UK? And did you sign in?

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues. In the UK? Here's some advice.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

13 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Did you put the VPN in for the UK? And did you sign in?

It's asking for $3.33 per month to connect to UK. I'll stick with Express, which is $99 per year but works faultlessly. Cheers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It's asking for $3.33 per month to connect to UK.

Not true. it's asking you for $2.99 per month to upgrade connection speed. With a 7 days money back guarantee.

IMG_20220908_131839.jpg

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

I have surfshark and Private Internet Access - PIA is an altogether better VPN - It fools the iplayer to allow access more streams. Surfshark doesnt manage to fool the iplayer to such a level, but its OK. You wouldn't notice the difference unless you went looking (it's nothing more than its faster and accesses better picture and audio quality streams)

PIA has good support and a dedicated server for London streaming, in the year that I have been with PIA the server went down for a few days, the rest has been reliable - If I every have an issue with the PIA I can message some guys that use Nord VPN and they confirm wether the fault is PIA or with the BBC, it's always PIA and I just need to tinker with the settings or reconnect, however PIA is cheaper, and I already have a subscription.

• Thanks 1

Try Ivacy, I have used them for years. 30 day free trial

https://www.ivacy.com/get-30-days-free-vpn/?refer=589175

Ivacy — a Singapore-based VPN released in 2007 — claims to be a top-of-the-line, extremely fast, and innovative VPN. The real question is: is Ivacy worth your investment or are there better VPNs out there?

With over 5,700 servers in 100 countries, Ivacy allows you to stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and HBO Max

This VPN offers a zero logs policy, AES-256 encryption, split tunneling, 10 simultaneous connections, P2P servers, IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Your IP address, browsing history, and personal information are completely safe and never tracked. The only information Ivacy keeps is your email address for billing purposes, and even then, you can request it to be deleted. It offers a few protocols to choose from: L2TP, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 — but no WireGuard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I have surfshark and Private Internet Access - PIA is an altogether better VPN - It fools the iplayer to allow access more streams. Surfshark doesnt manage to fool the iplayer to such a level, but its OK. You wouldn't notice the difference unless you went looking (it's nothing more than its faster and accesses better picture and audio quality streams)

PIA has good support and a dedicated server for London streaming, in the year that I have been with PIA the server went down for a few days, the rest has been reliable - If I every have an issue with the PIA I can message some guys that use Nord VPN and they confirm wether the fault is PIA or with the BBC, it's always PIA and I just need to tinker with the settings or reconnect, however PIA is cheaper, and I already have a subscription.

Thanks for that. My SurfShark subscription is almost due for renewal. I can say that in almost two years using Windows, Linux, iPhones and Android mobiles I've never been unable to connect or unblock geo-blocked websites. Don't stream much so your tip is valuable information. Previously, I subscribed to ZENMATE which was cheapest at the time. However, it couldn't unblock BBCIPlayer. I complained twice to be told 'We're working on it'. By day 29 it still wasn't availabe to me so I cancelled and got my subscription back in full.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:06 AM, norfolkandchance said:

NordVPN. Works good for me.

That's the same for me too, and I installed Nord VPN after trying "Express VPN" and "Cyberghost", but both had their problems and I was fed up with trying to work around them, but after installing Nord VPN, everything's been hunky-dory.

So I can highly recommend it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for that. My SurfShark subscription is almost due for renewal. I can say that in almost two years using Windows, Linux, iPhones and Android mobiles I've never been unable to connect or unblock geo-blocked websites. Don't stream much so your tip is valuable information. Previously, I subscribed to ZENMATE which was cheapest at the time. However, it couldn't unblock BBCIPlayer. I complained twice to be told 'We're working on it'. By day 29 it still wasn't availabe to me so I cancelled and got my subscription back in full.

Some colleagues use a DNS service, dns4me - it’s a lot more stable than a VPN and faster, they do a 7 day free trial. https://dns4me.net - I shy away because i guess it means changing systemwide DNS. 

Maybe worth a ???? look.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That's the same for me too, and I installed Nord VPN after trying "Express VPN" and "Cyberghost", but both had their problems and I was fed up with trying to work around them, but after installing Nord VPN, everything's been hunky-dory.

So I can highly recommend it.

I should have mentioned that I also had "Smart DNS Proxy" for quite a long time, however this also had its work-around problems, but I put up with them for a while and was relatively happy until I tried Nord VPN on free trial, so moved over to them and have been very satisfied, especially as I don't have a problem getting the BBC iPlayer, which I use for my sport and a few movies and documentaries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 1:06 AM, norfolkandchance said:

NordVPN. Works good for me.

Another up-vote - I used it last visit 2021/22 to watch Superbikes on UK Eurosport and Formula 1 on ITV4.

(I've just renewed and originally the annual subscription offer had doubled to over USD100.00 but I sat tight and have now got it for $83.23 for two years)

• 2 weeks later...

Try all the servers your VPN company provides in the UK.  If the problem exists with all of them, contact the company and request they refresh their IP address.  Apparently, this is no small task, but eventually they will have so many complaints they will have to, especially with popular websites like BBC.