Bangkok to have "different looking Zebras" - but will people stop?

webfact

Anyone been in the zebra xing, slow moving traffic and aggressive drivers challenging you, daring you to cross as they move determinedlu toward you and into the xing? Moving slow enough you hold your ground and make your way across..

Freaking madness. That's got nothing to do with not seeing a xing! That's pure ignorant, self entitled aggression.

10 hours ago, transam said:

Should have flashing warning lights, like these....????

Beacons.jpg.47665a786162c5651c3ee8631e910ba8.jpg

Known as 'Belisha Beacons' in the UK the equivalent in Thailand would be the flashing amber traffic light seen at light controlled pedestrian crossings where the red and the green light have been disabled. In Christmas 2019 when I last visited Pattaya there was such a crossing on 2nd road the traffic lights had been damaged so the amber was set to flashing. I was there for a month the lights were not repaired and drivers totally ignored the crossing and the flashing amber light

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

There's also a quite strong attitude by many motorists / mo-cy drivers that vehicles come first, people walking come second and should wait.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes, it's the complete opposite of western attitude. Other South-East Asian countries also have the same attitude, it's due to the horrendous road congestion here when compared to western countries.

It's changing in the UK. Cyclists are being prioritised over everything whether that be cars or pedestrians. More pedestrians are killed or seriously injured year on year by cyclists riding on footpaths where councils have designated narrow footpaths as 'mixed areas'. Police have been instructed to ignore cyclists riding on footpaths even then they are not 'designated mixed'

It seems now we have (also) a different problem: I see more and more Thai people walking over zebra crossings which have traffic lights while the light for pedestrians is red. And they don't walk like just sneaking over even when they know it's red. Some of those people seem to have that misconception that now they can always walk over zebra crossing, even if there is red for pedestrians.

Personally I see fewer police officers on the roads like years ago. Where are they all? Because if they would be on the streets and if they would stop drivers and riders and fine them then I am sure more people would follow the laws. But this being Thailand that somehow doesn't happen. TiT.

1 hour ago, RobU said:

It's changing in the UK. Cyclists are being prioritised over everything whether that be cars or pedestrians. More pedestrians are killed or seriously injured year on year by cyclists riding on footpaths where councils have designated narrow footpaths as 'mixed areas'. Police have been instructed to ignore cyclists riding on footpaths even then they are not 'designated mixed'

I still see westerners riding their bike slowly in the middle of the streets in Thailand, even blocking traffic.

They still think they are in Europe and not Thailand.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

It would be better to have a flashing sign above the crossing warning drivers of pedestrian crossing. It would be seen at a greater distance on approach. 

In my area any frigging sign would help, on KC not one sign at any crossing, and all with faded paint.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Just warns Thai drivers that they have to speed up

Most Thai drivers are impatient, if the traffic light is yellow, they will not slow down but speed up instead.

That's why a lot of westerners need to change their mindset. Do not depend on zebra crossing for a safe slow crossing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Named after Leslie Hore-Belisha and first installed in 1934 in Kensington, London

I read many years ago the the first one was installed in Slough High Street and a few years ago BBC World News featured it on an anniversary I think. Don't rush to see it, that part of the High Street is now a pedestrian zone, Just checked Wikipedia agrees with me.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

I read many years ago the the first one was installed in Slough High Street and a few years ago BBC World News featured it on an anniversary I think. Don't rush to see it, that part of the High Street is now a pedestrian zone, Just checked Wikipedia agrees with me.

my Wikipedia agrees with me.....Kensington Rd, near Hyde Park.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

my Wikipedia agrees with me.....Kensington Rd, near Hyde Park.

Remember both that Wikipedia can be wrong it is essentially amateur contributions

• Like 1

while the police set very bad examples the people will follow , stop talking about this because its never going to change 

there is no experienced driver training in thailand, nobody knows  any thing about highway code rules including  police   so how do u expect them to stop