Returning to Thailand – wish fulfilled for new US ambassador

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-09-13T163831.662.png

US Ambassador Bob Godec during his visit to the Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn) over the weekend.

US Ambassador-designate to Thailand Bob Godec is in town and spent his first weekend here visiting notable cultural sites in Bangkok.

According to a post on the US Embassy’s Facebook,  Godec, who was confirmed by US Senate as new US ambassador to Thailand last month, started his Bangkok tour at the Emerald Buddha Temple before taking a walk along the Maharat Road and later a ferry to the famous Wat Arun.

“The Ambassador enjoyed some of Thailand’s famous street food at a noodle shop on Soi Polo and ended his day by offering incense, candles, flowers, and water at the Erawan Shrine. This fulfilled a wish he made at the shrine a few years ago to return to Thailand,” it said.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/returning-to-thailand-wish-fulfilled-for-new-us-ambassador/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

"he said he would press Bangkok to reduce its dependence on oil and gas from neighboring Myanmar, where the ruling military junta is committing “horrifying atrocities,"

_______

Ought to be a popular figure right off the bat.

So he’s going to pay the Thai Military politicians more money not to by Myanmar oil than the Myanmar Military politicians are sharing with the Thai Military politicians to buy Myanmar oil ??? !!!!  

Interesting….  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps when his even older boss retires?

Yes, good guess. I'd think though that Thailand would be a political plum rewarded to a Joe Biden supporter/booster; this guy is a pro. Makes me think something is up spy wise or brown envelopes are in the ambassadors luggage.

• Like 1

Let's hope they push threw a bill that cuts SS benefits for all US citizens retiring here.  After 6 months here 1/3 lost and all medical back home lost.  

It is a long time in coming.  I will vote for any politition that pushes this.

After the first year they will have to live in the US for one year before any benefits restored. 

Edited by Gknrd

6 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Let's hope they push threw a bill that cuts SS benefits for all US citizens retiring here.  After 6 months here 1/3 lost and all medical back home lost.  

It is a long time in coming.  I will vote for any politition that pushes this.

After the first year they will have to live in the US for one year before any benefits restored. 

Guess there’s a reason for some peoples ugliness…. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

"he said he would press Bangkok to reduce its dependence on oil and gas from neighboring Myanmar, where the ruling military junta is committing “horrifying atrocities,"

_______

Ought to be a popular figure right off the bat.

Don’t need his kind here. Why do they interfere in another country’s internal affairs? Go and fix your own home first.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Don’t need his kind here. Why do they interfere in another country’s internal affairs? Go and fix your own home first.

But that's what the American political/cultural system does very well. Continuing to interfere, nefariously, with the world's affairs in a wide variety of manners - for ages. All the while, heavily neglecting their own. 

• Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, snoop1130 said:

This fulfilled a wish he made at the shrine a few years ago to return to Thailand,” it said.

A completely misleading statement. You can read about him here: https://www.state.gov/biographies/robert-f-godec/  He was an Assistant Office Director for Thailand and Burma in the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, and Director for Southeast Asian Affairs at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, which is not 'in' Thailand. I'm sure he enjoyed trips here in his capacity. 

8 hours ago, RPCVguy said:

Why would you stake out such a position? Looking at your previous comments on travel I'd guess you often passed the annual cap on payroll tax deductions - which would mean SS benefits might be a smaller share of your current portfolio. I had 40 years of deductions that built my account. Some good (including above the cap when I worked corporate management on Park Ave.) but many not so good (like when heading a true non-profit 501c3.) Looking at options when I moved here I forfeited medicare (and years of depositing into that system too) so as to be able to be responsible in other ways for providing food and shelter. That choice beat years of becoming a pauper in the USA receiving the same SS and also having Medicare.
With SS I can live here with dignity and with a family - in a small rural town. Under your proposal things would become truly tight, and the air-fare alone would prohibit round trips to the USA and back to my family here of 15+ years.
So, to be clear, I will vote against, and use social media to discredit any politician, party or commission pushing such a change in SS benefits earned and promised.

Don't get the wrong impression, I make a few bucks extra every month on other things. But, I would miss my SS check for sure. It would hurt. But, I do not support this government, so it is more a political thing for me. I also see it coming in the future. British and I believe Australian already have such a plan in place. And some European countries pick where their benefits will and will not be cut I think. 

Basically if benefits were cut it would seriously deter retirement in Thailand. Other countries with more favorable views and more alined with the US would not be cut.  

If you want to support a government with money from the US that does not support the US then I think you should be penalized.

Edited by Gknrd