Haven't been in Thailand since 2019, is it worth a visit atm? (un'vax'xed un'test'ed etc.)

flyDelight

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Wrong. Ive been to bkk 20 times. Spent heaps of time in non tourist areas.

Your info is based on "personal choice" not Thai laws

I speak Thai, married Thai over 15 years.

I care about Thai laws not whether Somchai likes masks or not.

1 which thai laws say tourists have to wear masks all the time, point out the legislation

2 which thai laws say tourists have to show vaccine proof in hotels or bars?

Dont tell me you saw 99/100 people wearing a mask in a street. Thats not important.

People sitting in airport no mask!

Your info is based on "personal choice" not Thai laws

1 which thai laws say tourists have to wear masks all the time, point out the legislation

2 which thai laws say tourists have to show vaccine proof in hotels or bars?

Please re-read all of my posts again.

Where did I state anything about the Thai laws?

Dont tell me you saw 99/100 people wearing a mask in a street. Thats not important.

You are trying twist the jist of my posts.

I didn't state anything was important, I merely stated the situation where I live and judging by posts by other posters that live here, also in quite a few areas in Thailand.

Please tell me, why are you so angry that people in my local area wear a mask?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Not true. Where you get this from? Make it up?

No hotels ask about vaccines. Nobody cares anymore except the paranoid.

Hotels want u to wear a mask for check in and in lift. Take it off when walking around.

Wear the mask and gloves when getting food at the buffets......hotels as well as Sizzler and other restaurants.  Masks worn on MRT and BTS....stop your false rhetoric.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Why would an expat in cm be an expert on trang?

A tourist who went there 3 times would know more than an expat who never went.

I wouldnt ask a Thai who lives in Phitsanulok to know much about Koh Chang unless they went there.

Don't know why farangs who live in Thailand think they know everything. 

For the same reason that residents of California would know more about where they live than I would as a tourist there.

Edited by Bert got kinky

7 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

For the same reason that residents of California would know more about where they live than I would as a tourist there.

New York isnt California. A tourist who went to NY 10 times knows far more than an American who never went. Thats just common sense.

A backpacker who spent 2 weeks in Darwin knows more than an Adelaide local who never went.

Again common sense.

18 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

A few of us, are the exception, and know quite a bit, about all of Thailand.

Reading your posts, it's obvious to many, even with your 'years of experience', you certainly do miss a lot.  

Reading your posts, I'm surprised you even bother visiting TH.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A few of us, are the exception, and know quite a bit, about all of Thailand.

Reading your posts, it's obvious to many, even with your 'years of experience', you certainly do miss a lot.  

Reading your posts, I'm surprised you even bother visiting TH.

Miss what? I dont see any Thais in CM giving me a lecture about the whole country based on personal opinion.

Only Thai laws apply.

Most tourists are better off looking up official laws.

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

I went to 6 towns, 3 flights, 1 bus, 2 trains, 8 hotels

Most places no mask

I flew Bkk to Nan. Nan to BKK, Bkk to Udon, Khon Kaen to BKK, Bkk to Nan. all in the last month. 100% masks in flights.  One flight Air Asia others on Nok. Airports were 90% masked, the 10% were mostly tourists. 
In my town its still 80%+ that are masked. 
Amazing how we had two totally different experiences in the same country. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I would give it a miss for now.

90% mask compliance in the streets ...mass psychosis still in full swing...little foot traffic outside.

Btw...are some hotels still asking for the vaxx?

Other forum members might want to chime in on this one.

Yes, stay away if un-vaxxed or tested.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Thats Bkk.

Nope, that's Hua Hin as well and the other places we have traveled to in the past few weeks like Phuket. You must be eating off of food carts and staying in amazing  low budget accommodations.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nope, that's Hua Hin as well and the other places we have traveled to in the past few weeks like Phuket. You must be eating off of food carts and staying in amazing  low budget accommodations.

I sat in restaurants with 50 people. No dramas at all.

Anyway which Thai laws are you talking about? Or is this just personal choice?

19 minutes ago, marcusb said:

I flew Bkk to Nan. Nan to BKK, Bkk to Udon, Khon Kaen to BKK, Bkk to Nan. all in the last month. 100% masks in flights.  One flight Air Asia others on Nok. Airports were 90% masked, the 10% were mostly tourists. 
In my town its still 80%+ that are masked. 
Amazing how we had two totally different experiences in the same country. 

As I reported elsewhere, I flew AA domestic CM-HKT 3 days ago, no masks required (about 70% wearing it), also meals served during the flight.

So the different experience might be actually just a difference in timing?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

4 day old news-blip will help answer that, and first 2:45 mins of vid address the mask issue on flights:

For the OP & others, masks are NOT required 'by law', since June, but as the vid shows, suggested & worn by many.

Yes I've already seen that video.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Dude, I had to tell you about Nong Prajak park in Udon Thani ... nuff said.

Don't think there is enough bandwidth for me to point out all the things you missed while O&A.  Assuming you missed, since not mentioning, most of the iconic sites in places you've been.

Your reports are way off the mark, and little help to tourist, unless a sextourist or sexpat, which they probably know more than you already.

Expat bar / massage district, and malls seem to be your main focus, and why I stated, 'why even bother visiting TH'.

Dude,

I knew about the lake 10 years ago - lame 4/10

Your other comments contain personal bias and opinions, no actual facts.

Ive been to 15 islands, 50 towns. Udon was lame my opinion.

You are allowed different opinions.

Different people like different things.

I did lots of things by car, bus and train.

Bars? Yeah I visited 2 bars. 2 malls.

Climbed Wat Phu Tok, 3 whale rock, walked thru villages. Drove along Mekhong tried tried 4 restaurants.

Yeah i just did malls and bars if you say so. 

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Those who habitually don the gear, and especially those who think it necessary to do so, will never know if those venues would just as readily accept someone of a different mindset unless they were confronted with the evidence directly.  In other words, you do not know how the people in those venues would have reacted had you not been wearing your gear. 

Those of us who do not habitually put the symbols of paranoia on our faces or hands are in a better position to speak, from experience, about the reception that the OP will likely get in coming here again.  While I have not been in Bangkok recently, or Hua Hin, I can say that masks are no longer required in any of the places I have been lately, which includes travels to about five provinces in the northern region.  The stores and restaurants (you ever seen someone try to eat with a mask on?) happily welcome non-mask-wearing clients.

If one but stops to think about it, the mask-wearing charade does appear a bit foolish when one enters a restaurant.  After all, if covid were spreading like wildfire on account of not having one, then the restaurants should all be shut down instead of doing good business as they are these days.

I got asked 3 times to wear a mask only.

The mask thing is mostly personal choice.

Carry one in pocket if busy place.

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I hope that the promised official change to endemic status from October will bring a change even to the paranoid corners of the country.

I think so, and I think it's already happening. In CM, it's more common to see people without mask. And in Phuket where I am now, it's the norm.

This said, I don't think we'll get back to zero masks. Those at risk will want to play safe whenever possible.