Prince William just inherited a 685-year-old estate worth $1 billion

Scott

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Charles,

London CNN Business  — 

Royal wills are never made public. That means what happens to much of the Queen’s personal wealth following her death last week will remain a family secret.

Forbes estimated last year that the late monarch’s personal fortune was worth $500 million, made up of her jewels, art collection, investments and two residences, Balmoral Castle in Scotland and Sandringham House in Norfolk. The Queen inherited both properties from her father, King George VI.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/business/prince-william-1-billion-inheritance/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I don't get why people hate the rich.

Typically, they were either good business people or bought assets and held.

What's the problem?

If you're family hold onto assets across multiple generations eventually they'll be super wealthy. Isn't that good?

Putin is rich.  Is he good at business or did he just buy assets and hold.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 9:10 AM, stevenl said:

It is this ridiculous wealth that puts people off of the monarchy.

Doesn't put me off, does the staggering income of actors, musicians or even football players put you off what they do.....?

Plus, I would have thought most of it belongs to the Crown and passed on to the next King or Queen...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RayC said:
9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps France has more going for it than Britain.

That might be true? However, I find it hard to believe that tourists visit the UK because they think that they are going to bump into the head of state on their travels.

Of course they don’t.... but it adds the romanticism of the visit...  People visiting the UK do so to visit the ‘package’... from Buckingham Palace, to the Tower of London, the London eye, the restaurants etc... and then of course the rest of the UK. 

I think France does have more to offer the UK, it has better weather and beaches, I suspect much of its tourism is those from around Europe visiting its beach towns and resort areas for there two week annual break. 

Thus when looking at the whole picture any suggestion that France has greater tourism than the UK in relationship to a past vs present monarchy maybe somewhat flawed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Doesn't put me off, does the staggering income of actors, musicians or even football players put you off what they do.....?

Plus, I would have thought most of it belongs to the Crown and passed on to the next King or Queen...

You would have thought so you don't know. But your claim means the queen dies and the crown inherits.  Do you see the flaw in your reasoning?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course they don’t.... but it adds the romanticism of the visit...  People visiting the UK do so to visit the ‘package’... from Buckingham Palace, to the Tower of London, the London eye, the restaurants etc... and then of course the rest of the UK. 

I think France does have more to offer the UK, it has better weather and beaches, I suspect much of its tourism is those from around Europe visiting its beach towns and resort areas for there two week annual break. 

Thus when looking at the whole picture any suggestion that France has greater tourism than the UK in relationship to a past vs present monarchy maybe somewhat flawed. 

You may well be right but the original contention was that the loss of the monarchy might have a detrimental effect on the number of overseas tourists visiting the UK. I do not believe that this is the case. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, 2009 said:

Their family held their investment for 685 years.

They deserve it.

Did they pay inheritance tax?

Born into wealth, unelected and very entitled, and above the law....while huge percentage of the country living on poverty struggling to pay for their heating or food......sure they 'deserve it'. ????????

• Like 1