The answer was underground all along - "fatberg" hits Sukhumvit Soi 39

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: The cause of the flood

Officials in Sukhumvit Soi 39 have found the reason for the persistent flooding in the soi.

Under the road they found a drain completely plugged by a fatberg - a hard substance that forms from all manner of household waste, reported Sanook.

image.jpeg

Picture: Sannok

It took four men to shift it and then clear the surrounding gunk.

But when it was all extracted it measurably improved the rate at which water was draining. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Wouldn't be surprised at all if many other sois having the same problems but until they flood, no one will think to check...

This….  

Checking Thailands drains should be a round the year thing… 

There’s s#it ton of water coming down, any concreted area will experience some flooding just due to tut sheer volume & run off…. 
It’s when sea levels are at a highest astronomical tide that there is nowhere for the water to go.

Does Bkk need a ‘smart tunnel’ like KL ? 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

That's a world wide problem.

I must hold my hands up I was not always environmentally friendly in my earlier years neither was my local government (uk) in saying that when I was young there was not take away food everywhere but I doubt anyone even knew what a grease trap was let alone use it.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This….  

Checking Thailands drains should be a round the year thing… 

There’s s#it ton of water coming down, any concreted area will experience some flooding just due to tut sheer volume & run off…. 
It’s when sea levels are at a highest astronomical tide that there is nowhere for the water to go.

Does Bkk need a ‘smart tunnel’ like KL ? 

A little off topic.

Speaking of concrete ...   I live in Pennsylvania, U.S.A.   Residents of a house across the street from me had some concrete work done after a fuel oil tank that was buried in his front yard was removed.   

The company that delivered the concrete had concrete left in the concrete truck.  They dumped the extra concrete into the storm sewer drain!!!     I don't know if they city contacted the concrete company, but city workers had to dig the concrete out.