Bug*er!

So, I think I may have just shot myself in the foot!

Stupidly, I thought I could get 75 days worth of (visa exempt) stay already, but it appears that's from 1st October. My company's paid for my ticket (because I'm such a great employee! ????????) and they've booked the ticket on 24th September, for 70 days duration (figured a couple days short, just to be on the safe side!), but it looks like I now need a visa.

The website for the Embassy in London is typically vague/confusing about whether I need to show up in person to get a visa (before I fly on the 24th). Can anyone confirm it's just a "simple" case of applying for an eVisa online, or must I go to London. Alternatively, can I get 30 days on arrival, get an extension, and do an old fashioned visa run for the last 10 days?

As Blackadder would say.... "<deleted>!" ????

eVisa you don't need to show up, they send you a PDF by email (check spam box too) two to several days later which you show immigration on entry, be aware a lot of requirements aren't fully visible until your three quarters of the way through the process and you get a page with several PDF upload boxes with everything imaginable that wasn't listed on all the blogs etc, apply now - you can pause/park the application whilst gather the necessary PDFs for a few days but at least if you start now you know what you need

Edited by mnomad
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

yes, but you wouldn't necessarily have to do a visa run.  border bounce will get you another 30 days. 

My ticket is 70 days duration (actually, valid for 12 months, but the return date is beginning of December), so if I don't get a visa, I'm sure there's no way around doing a visa run.

All for the want of 6 bloody days! ????

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He means get another Visa Exempt entry at the border... which is a border bounce. No need to get a new Visa. 

Maybe the terminology has changed since the last time I did it...

Visa exempt - stay 30 days
Extension - 30 days? (Maybe 15 days... been a long time since I needed the "service".)
Visa run = get another 30 days "visa exempt"?

....be aware a lot of requirements aren't fully visible until your three quarters of the way through the process and you get a page with several PDF upload boxes with everything imaginable that wasn't listed on all the blogs etc, apply now - you can pause/park the application whilst gather the necessary PDFs for a few days but at least if you start now you know what you need

Bloody hell! You're not wrong, are you?! What a kerfuffle! ????????????

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

what @jacko45ksaid, no need for a visa, just do a border bounce after the 30-day extension. incorporate it into your trip, head up to say Nong Khai then pop over to Lao for another 30. even better, head to Vientiane for a day or two.

Beer Lao by the Mekong, what's not to like? ????

Yeah, it's what I'm going to do. My only concern is the duration shown on the ticket and no visa to cover the dates... but I doubt the Eva check-in staff will care. Might be more of a problem if I was flying Thai though.

2 minutes ago, sabai-dee-man said:

Yeah, it's what I'm going to do. My only concern is the duration shown on the ticket and no visa to cover the dates... but I doubt the Eva check-in staff will care. Might be more of a problem if I was flying Thai though.

rent a ticket for airline check-in. onwardticket(dot)com

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sabai-dee-man said:

https://onwardticket.com - doesnt have to be BKK-LHR, can be to any surrounding country, but I think all same $15 anyway - book the morning you fly

Edited by mnomad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sabai-dee-man said:

Extension - 30 days? (Maybe 15 days... been a long time since I needed the "service".)

I guess terminology depends on who you hang out with. I was taught that 'visa run' = schlepp all the way to an embassy or consulate to get an actual visa, ie. a big ol' trip especially if you did it by 3rd-class train from Bangkok to Penang ????

'border run' or 'bounce' or 'hop' means you just head to nearest border, go out of Thailand into neighbouring country and come right back in again. 

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

rent a ticket for airline check-in. onwardticket(dot)com

That's pretty handy, thank you. Do I make the "reservation" just before I check in, or can I do it now?* (Check in date is 24th, 8 days time.)

*Not being lazy; I'm reading the site now, but you may know off the top of your head. ????

Just now, sabai-dee-man said:

That's pretty handy, thank you. Do I make the "reservation" just before I check in, or can I do it now?* (Check in date is 24th, 8 days time.)

*Not being lazy; I'm reading the site now, but you may know off the top of your head. ????

tbh I don't really know about the timing. only used it once when I came over last December, made the booking the day before and printed it out at home. having a home printer is sooooo convenience ????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your company booked your tickets...

... coming here to work ???.... shouldn’t your company get you a Non-Imm B Visa ?

Where did I say I'm working? It's a perk. Take a break from your high horse, eh?! Not all of us are tied to a desk working the grind!

I'm not on huge money, but I get a great amount of free time, which after previous rather traumatic life experience, is worth more that money can buy.

Edited by sabai-dee-man
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

Indeed. Embassies list some of the requirements but once you start the application there are several more with documents to upload. I applied to the Paris Embassy as a Brit resident in France back in December for a 90 day spousal non O visa. Only during the online application did I discover the need for an invitation letter from wife. As she does not do internet and smart phones we had to resort to snail mail to get that letter to me. Handwritten on lined paper it simply asked them to grant me the visa to visit at her address in Thailand. Thankfully accepted and the e visa then came through quickly and still in reasonable time before my flight. As an aside, getting the then required Thailand Pass was a greater hassle and due to a change in requirements (lesser Covid quarantine period) and little time left I had to get a second one using an expensive agent or endure a much longer quarantine isolation based on the initial Pass I got ( according to the quarantine hotel)

I then made a further 90 day non O application once back in France for another e visa. This time the application sat in the ether waiting on documents check for over 2 weeks and then, with only a few days before my flight, issue was taken with the invitation letter. Told not acceptable as handwritten on lined paper with no telephone number given or dates given..... although the very same phone number, as well as address where staying, and the request being for 90 days was already given in the application form and the same wording in the invitation letter as on my previous application. Took several emails in the end with my having to say my wife was not well educated, lived in the boonies, did not use internet, smartphone or email and begging them to relent. Thinking I could still enter visa exempt and have to write off the application and non returnable fee it was only after I had left my French home for the airport that they relented and approved the visa....and I then had to find somewhere to print it off for me. Nerve wracking. Next time I will simply enter visa exempt and apply in Thailand for the non O at the local IO there even though that requires more money and in a Thai bank account than the e visa does.

• Thumbs Up 1