Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai and OZ passports - which one to show ......

20 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

She is staying for only 3 weeks on an Aussie passport so no need to visit immigration (45 days visa exempt fom Oct 1)

I understand that anyone leaving Australia on an Australia [Thailand] Passport should stay on that passport 

Not rule breaches if not, but general rules

What if she encountered an emergency or situation requiring her to stay longer ?

Visa issue add an unnecessary layer of complexity. 

i.e. a medical emergency is encountered on day 28...  requires a 10 day hospital stay...  the visa-validity becomes a concern and something you really wouldn’t want to be worrying about at that time. 

Or... a family member becomes unwell and she wants to stay longer etc... 

There is no logical reason whatsoever not to enter Thailand on her Thai passport. 

At the same time there are lots of logical reasons to enter Thailand on the Thai Passport. 

--------

This is so much of a no-brainer I’m surprised the topic is even being debated. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:17 AM, DrJack54 said:

Read the OP.

The daughter is making a 3 week trip. 

Fundamentally flawed thinking particularly in light of such recent events which saw many ‘locked in country’ and unable to travel - no one knows the future, anything can happen - thus choose the best option. 

Use the Passport with the least limitations - There exists only limitations to entering Thailand on an Australian Passport, when the same dual nationality traveller enters Thailand on their Thai Passport there are none. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

What if she encountered an emergency or situation requiring her to stay longer ?

i.e. a medical emergency is encountered on day 28...  requires a 10 day hospital stay...  the visa-validity becomes a concern and something you really wouldn’t want to be worrying about at that time. 

There is no logical reason whatsoever not to enter on her Thai passport. 

At the same time there are lots of logical reasons to enter on the Thai Passport. 

You missed my point on passport you leave a country on you should stay on for entre travel, so up to them

No difference either way for you to be so adamant about.  Thai citizens are also allowed to be admitted into Thailand with expired passport so not really an issue. Immigration accept their Thai ID card when needed to solve any immigration issues

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no logical reason whatsoever not to enter Thailand on her Thai passport. 

At the same time there are lots of logical reasons to enter Thailand on the Thai Passport. 

--------

What a stupid argument. What would a non-thai have to do in above situation

Are you telling every tourist on 30/45 day visa exempt to get 60 day tourist visa just in case something something happens...ridiculous way to live a life 

What if you have bike accident requiring 9 months surgery, should everyone get a year visa in case ????

Edited by aussiexpat

13 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Are you telling every tourist on 30/45 day visa exempt to get 60 day tourist visa just in case something something happens...ridiculous way to live a life 

What if you have bike accident requiring 9 months surgery, should everyone get a year visa in case ????

If the cost and the amount of effort involved were exactly the same, why not?

Edited by skatewash

13 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:
31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

--------

Expand  

It is your argument which is quite stupid....    why would anyone who is on a Thai passport have to worry about any of the scenarios both you and I provided  ?????

But to answer your point:

Any foreigner who arrives Visa exempt and faces a medical emergency has an additional element of complexity to their predicament due to their visa status.

If you can’t recognise that entering Thailand with a Thai passport removes any possible complexity for the unknown with regards to visa status then the discussion ends here - there is no point debating with a fool. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Perhaps people are under the impression that a Thai can enter Thailand on a non-Thai passport and then when it suits them click their heels and get all the benefits they would have gotten from entering on a Thai passport. ????  From personal experience taking my Thai friend to the  Immigration Office, Thai Immigration Officers are not particularly amused when Thai passport holders show up as customers.

What a load of entitled <deleted>. Any Thai from any country can enter Thailand on a Thai expired passport or ID Card.

I love this about Thailand welcoming their citizens home always, unlike Australia last few years ????

Edited by aussiexpat

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

What a load of entitled <deleted>. Any Thai from any country can enter Thailand on a Thai expired passport or ID Cart.

I love this about Thailand welcoming their citizens home always, unlike Australia last few years ????

If a Thai person enters Thailand on an overseas Passport they are subject to the entry permissions afforded to that Passport -  that includes overstay. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is your argument which is quite stupid....    why would anyone who is on a Thai passport have to worry about any of the scenarios both you and I provided  ?????

But to answer your point:

Any foreigner who arrives Visa exempt and faces a medical emergency has an additional element of complexity to their predicament due to their visa status.

If you can’t recognise that entering Thailand with a Thai passport removes any possible complexity for the unknown with regards to visa status then the discussion ends here - there is no point debating with a fool. 

We get it, you're a covid expert and now Thai passport expert.

She's coming for 3 weeks, I'd rather travel on my Aussie passport through Singapore to get there and back to her home in Aussie. What's so hard to understand about that? (and therefore leaving Australia and arriving back with all travel entries on same passport)

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If a Thai person enters Thailand on an overseas Passport they are subject to the entry permissions afforded to that Passport -  that includes overstay. 

Lol you think that. Thai ID is the law in Thailand not an expired passport

38 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You missed my point on passport you leave a country on you should stay on for entre travel, so up to them

No... there is no requirement to ’stay’ on the same passport for the ‘entire travel’.

A ‘airside passport swap’ is perfectly normal. 

My Son arrives in Thailand on a Thai Passport, departs Thailand with his Thai Passport. 

My Son arrives in the UK on his UK Passport, departs the UK with his UK Passport. 

38 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

No difference either way for you to be so adamant about.  Thai citizens are also allowed to be admitted into Thailand with expired passport so not really an issue. Immigration accept their Thai ID card when needed to solve any immigration issues

Yes they could - which is perfectly fine.

But you are suggesting the Ops daughter enters Thailand on her Australian passport instead of a Thai passport which is completely illogical. 

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

She is staying for only 3 weeks on an Aussie passport so no need to visit immigration (45 days visa exempt fom Oct 1)

I understand that anyone leaving Australia on an Australia [Thailand] Passport should stay on that passport 

Not rule breaches if not, but general rules

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lol you think that. Thai ID is the law in Thailand not an expired passport

IF a Thai Person enters Thailand on an Australian Passport and is given 30 days Visa Exempt entry and they depart after 30 days - have they overstayed ????

The answer is yes: Their Passport is logged on the Immigration system. When departing they will be flagged as an overstay. 

The only way around this is IF they depart on their Thai passport and their biometrics are slightly different (i.e. different name spelling on the Thai passport etc).

Even then their ‘aussie’ passport will forever be flagged as overstay. 

So... why not just enter on their Thai Passport in the first place ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Completely not true, Thai citizen can stay as long as they like once they are back in their own country with Thai ID, regardless of passport entered on

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

We get it, you're a covid expert and now Thai passport expert.

She's coming for 3 weeks, I'd rather travel on my Aussie passport through Singapore to get there and back to her home in Aussie. What's so hard to understand about that? (and therefore leaving Australia and arriving back with all travel entries on same passport)

What has Singapore got to do with this... she can transit or travel through Singapore on whatever passport, that doesn’t really matter. 

Entry to Thailand using a Thai Passport is better than using an overseas passport - Why ? because even though she’s staying for just 3 weeks... if any issues arise which cause delay there are no added complications regarding visa status - she is in the fortunate position of being able to choose. 

I think you believe that if you depart a country (point A) on a specific passport you must do so through your whole journey until you return to point A... If so, you are wrong. 

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Completely not true, Thai citizen can stay as long as they like once they are back in their own country with Thai ID, regardless of passport entered on

And when that Thai who entered Thailand on an Australian passport and has overstayed departs Thailand... 

What passport do you advise they use ??  The Australian one again ???

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not correct. When a Thai enters on a non Thai passport they are not in the country as a Thai national. They are under the same immigration rules a non Thai person.

Don't agree. I was shocked to find Thai citizens can still enter Thailand on an expired passport (without any other Passport) and they can stay as long as they like.

Just went through this in Dec 2021.

All countries prefer that their citizens enter their country using their own passport. 

This includes Australia:

https://www.passports.gov.au/news/dual-nationals-leaving-and-returning-australia-which-passport-should-you-use

For the US it's a must:

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

Thailand "allows" its citizens to enter Thailand on a foreign passport, but then for immigration office related matters it treats them as foreign nationals.  A Thai cannot change how they entered the country after they enter the country.  The only way to do that is to leave Thailand and re-enter using their Thai passport.  Thais who entered Thailand on their foreign passports can apply for a one year extension of stay due to being "a Thai returning to Thailand" if they can prove they are a Thai citizen, such as showing a Thai passport or National ID card at the Thai Immigration Office.  This costs the Thai citizen 1,900 baht.  The Thai citizen who so enters Thailand must also report their address to Thai immigration every 90 consecutive days they are in Thailand.  For all purposes related to their stay in Thailand they are subject to the same rules that people of the same nationality on which they entered Thailand are subject to in regards to immigration matters. 

All of which, could have been avoidable if the Thai had entered Thailand on their Thai passport.  All countries prefer their citizens to enter their country on their own passport.  In fact. Thais can even enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport.  What Thais cannot do is enter Thailand on their foreign passport and then decide they want a mulligan and somehow magically change from a foreign national visiting Thailand back into a Thai national without leaving the country and re-entering.  They can't change their immigration status while in the country.  That immigration status is set when they chose which passport to use to enter Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a personal passport and a Defence diplomatic passport for over 20 years, all I know was that I was instructed that whatever passport I left on, I must use for entire journey, if that's not the rules then so be it

(Only posted because someone above said you can come and go on any passport switching as you like)

Edited by aussiexpat

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I had a personal passport and a Defence diplomatic passport for over 20 years, all I know was that I was instructed that whatever passport I left on, I must use for entire journey, if that's not the rules then so be it

Your personal experience on a diplomatic passport is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

(Only posted because someone above said you can come and go on any passport switching as you like)

They were correct...   Thats what everyone else has been posting.

It's better for Dual Thai Nationals  (Thai / Aus or other) to enter Thailand on their Thai passport. It's irrelevant what passport they departed their home country with. 

18 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Don't agree. I was shocked to find Thai citizens can still enter Thailand on an expired passport (without any other Passport) and they can stay as long as they like.

Just went through this in Dec 2021.

That is an apples to oranges comparison In that case the expired Thai passport holding Thai person still enter Thailand as a Thai with no visa or " permitted to to stay until"  limit. 

It is true a Thai person can can travel and enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport

The only problem might be transiting a third country (example Japan or Korea) where a valid passport might be required for boarding.

Edited by Captain Monday