Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai and OZ passports - which one to show ......

Daughter is a dual passport holder, Thai and Australian. Both current. She is in Brisbane and would like to visit her (very ill) Grandmother in Thailand.

Her expected stay in Thailand would probably be about 3 weeks. Her itinerary will be BNE - SIN - BKK  and BKK - SIN - BNE.

Which passport should she be presenting at each immigration checkpoint?

TIA ????

6 minutes ago, Thai Chi said:

Valid and good point Dr Jack. Thanks.

The dual passports can be useful for extended stay in Thailand as with Thai pp entry the normal requirements for tourists would not apply.

However in your daughters case it's a quick visit and the visa exempt using Oz pp has her covered. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't see why she would even bother with her Thai pp.

With Oz pp she will receive 30 (or 45 after Oct 1) visa exempt stamp. 

Definitely a valid and legal entry method.

BUT

There have been reports of Thai immigration officers getting the hump and insisting that one enters on the Thai passport, personally I'd just avoid that possibility, it's not like it's costing $$$.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Definitely a valid and legal entry method.

BUT

There have been reports of Thai immigration officers getting the hump and insisting that one enters on the Thai passport, personally I'd just avoid that possibility, it's not like it's costing $$$.

Definitely a possibility.

You have to always remember,

TIT

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thai Chi said:

Any chance on the way back that her Thai passport would be checked for an Australian entry visa?

As an Australian citizen it is legislatively impossible to get a visa for Australia. 

If leaving Thailand with a Thai passport It's possible the airline check-in staff may ask to see proof that she can enter Australia. She would then have to show them her Australian passport. 

As others have said, if just a short trip into Thailand, it would be simpler to use the Australian Passport for the entire travel.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If leaving Thailand with a Thai passport It's possible the airline check-in staff may ask to see proof that she can enter Australia. She would then have to show them her Australian passport. 

Further to my post:

The airline may then decide to board the pax as an Australian citizen which could cause complications with Thai Immigration at departure.

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

As an Australian citizen it is legislatively impossible to get a visa for Australia. 

As others have said, if just a short trip into Thailand, it would be simpler to use the Australian Passport for the entire travel.

This is not recommended.  Australia would, of course, have no problems.  But Thailand could present some problems.  First off, Thai officials always want to see the Thai documents for its own citizens.  It is possible to get into a mess of trouble if/when they figure out that you're trying to pass off on them that you're a citizen of another country when you hold Thai citizenship.  I've been called into the back office where the "interrogation/berating" occurred for this very infraction at one of Thailand's land borders. 

Apart from the legalities, there is also the possible issue of conserving space in your passport.  No need to get a visa stamp in your foreign passport when you have a Thai passport.

There is also the fact that, if entering on a foreign passport, you can get a fine for overstay if for any reason you decide to extend your stay in Thailand--as has been reported here by one person regarding a woman with Thai citizenship that had entered on her foreign passport.  She assumed she would not be charged anything for overstaying because she could prove she was a Thai.  Wrong!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Read the OP.

The daughter is making a 3 week trip. 

I read that.  Read my post: "if for any reason...".  I think we can both safely assume the daughter is not privy to knowledge of the future; nor are we.  Things happen.  I remember when the Nongkhai border suddenly closed and there were Thai and Lao citizens stranded on both sides.  Both got to pay heavy fees to extend their stays as guests in the country when they didn't even wish to remain there!  Come in as Aussie, get to pay Aussie fees if traveling privileges should suddenly be revoked again.  Come in as Thai, no worries.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

This is not recommended.  Australia would, of course, have no problems.  But Thailand could present some problems.  First off, Thai officials always want to see the Thai documents for its own citizens.  It is possible to get into a mess of trouble if/when they figure out that you're trying to pass off on them that you're a citizen of another country when you hold Thai citizenship.  I've been called into the back office where the "interrogation/berating" occurred for this very infraction at one of Thailand's land borders. 

Apart from the legalities, there is also the possible issue of conserving space in your passport.  No need to get a visa stamp in your foreign passport when you have a Thai passport.

There is also the fact that, if entering on a foreign passport, you can get a fine for overstay if for any reason you decide to extend your stay in Thailand--as has been reported here by one person regarding a woman with Thai citizenship that had entered on her foreign passport.  She assumed she would not be charged anything for overstaying because she could prove she was a Thai.  Wrong!

Very argumentative.

She is Australian entering for 3 weeks. (Father is Australian) She would not be "passing off" anything!

Absolutely no reason to be monstered by Thai officials at a major airport that handles millions of arrivals every year. More likely your problems were related to your own behavior.

Before coming here to live, I entered and departed Thailand over 20 times without overstaying, or the sky falling in. If the worst happens such as illness or accident preventing a scheduled return, extensions are easily available. Many have been living here for years on Covid extensions because of border closures.

Visa exempt entry stamp takes up virtually no space in a passport - silly point!

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

My wife is dual passport holder (Thai and Australian). She always enters/leaves Thailand on her Thai passport and enters/leaves Australia on her Australian passport.

If you have the benefit of a dual passport, always use it when entering/leaving that country. Your daughter is a citizen of Thailand and should enjoy any privileges when she is in Thailand. Why should she travel as a tourist (even if only for a few weeks)?

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, Old Croc said:

Further to my post:

The airline may then decide to board the pax as an Australian citizen which could cause complications with Thai Immigration at departure.

Incorrect scaremongering.

The airline has nothing to do with boarding passengers as a specific nationality. They are responsible to ensure that you have the correct documents to allow you to enter your destination country and leave the one you are in.

Thousands of people travel with dual nationality.

• Show the checkin staff the second passport if asked.
  • Show the immigration officers the passport of the country you are in (don’t show the other one to them) 
  • Thai passport in Thailand, Australian passport in Australia 

you will have no problem 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Incorrect scaremongering.

The airline has nothing to do with boarding passengers as a specific nationality. They are responsible to ensure that you have the correct documents to allow you to enter your destination country and leave the one you are in.

Thousands of people travel with dual nationality.

• Show the checkin staff the second passport if asked.
  • Show the immigration officers the passport of the country you are in (don’t show the other one to them) 
  • Thai passport in Thailand, Australian passport in Australia 

you will have no problem 

Not incorrect. I've seen it happen.

Not scaremongering - information. 

With Australian passport why even bother thinking about Thai passport unless she wants to stay longer than 30 days (45 days visa exempt from 1 Oct)

My ex-wife didn't even bother renewing her Thai Passport once she got her Aussie

Edited by aussiexpat

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

With Australian passport why even bother thinking about Thai passport unless she wants to stay longer than 30 days (45 days visa exempt from 1 Oct)

My ex-wife didn't even bother renewing her Thai Passport once she got her Aussie

Because handing the Thai passport to the Thai Immigration Officer is no more difficult than handing over the Australian one.  And once you do that you have no more worries in Thailand regarding anything related to immigration.

I'm not Thai and so don't know the answer to this, but does the Thai Passport weigh 20kg?  Simply don't understand the aversion to using it when it buys you complete freedom from any possible immigration concern while in Thailand, not to mention if the unthinkable happens and your plans actually change and you do something completely unforeseeable like wanting to stay longer in Thailand than foreigners are allowed and don't want to have any contact with immigration.  Clearly, I'm missing what is so hard about using a Thai passport when you enter or leave Thailand.  Are the lines longer?  Do foreigners get to use special gates?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Because handing the Thai passport to the Thai Immigration Officer is no more difficult than handing over the Australian one.  And once you do that you have no more worries in Thailand regarding anything related to immigration.

I'm not Thai and so don't know the answer to this, but does the Thai Passport weigh 20kg?  Simply don't understand the aversion to using it when it buys you complete freedom from any possible immigration concern while in Thailand, not to mention if the unthinkable happens and your plans actually change and you do something completely unforeseeable like wanting to stay longer in Thailand than foreigners are allowed and don't want to have any contact with immigration.  Clearly, I'm missing what is so hard about using a Thai passport when you enter or leave Thailand.  Are the lines longer?  Do foreigners get to use special gates?

She is staying for only 3 weeks on an Aussie passport so no need to visit immigration (45 days visa exempt fom Oct 1)

I understand that anyone leaving Australia on an Australia [Thailand] Passport should stay on that passport 

Not rule breaches if not, but general rules

Edited by aussiexpat

On 9/16/2022 at 3:50 AM, Thai Chi said:
On 9/16/2022 at 3:45 AM, DrJack54 said:

Can't see why she would even bother with her Thai pp.

With Oz pp she will receive 30 (or 45 after Oct 1) visa exempt stamp. 

Valid and good point Dr Jack. Thanks.

But what if she wants to stay longer ?... she’ll then have ‘visa’ issues to deal with. 

Always enter the country on the best passport for that country. 

i.e..... 

Thai / Aus - enter Thailand on a Thai Passport.

Thai / Aus - enter Aus on an Aus Passport.

Its a no brainer, there are no complications, hidden clauses, issues or laws. 

• Thumbs Up 1