Alcohol on Thai trains............

SunsetT

I presume that consuming alcohol on trains is still banned (I used to enjoy a couple of beers followed by a meal in the restaurant car to shorten a long distance overnight trip). Does anyone know how strict this is if one discreetly consumes a couple of concealed cans as it could be in so many places during Covid19? If noticed would a blind eye be shown or would I risk being thrown off the train at the next station? Anyone have experience of this during train travel?

A couple of years ago I took some cans on and a bottle of wine for the lady in a second class sleeper cabin. No problems at all. There's always the yetti coffee flasks you can use, a large McDonald's cup, or get a random beer that they won't know like a big plastic bottle of that Korean beer (hite?) from Tops or Makro

Edited by alien365
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, alien365 said:

A couple of years ago I took some cans on and a bottle of wine for the lady in a second class sleeper cabin. No problems at all. There's always the yetti coffee flasks you can use, a large McDonald's cup, or get a random beer that they won't know like a big plastic bottle of that Korean beer (hite?) from Tops or Makro

So were u the seats drinking or behind the curtain?

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The rule put in place as a knee-jerk reaction....... Personally, I’d take my own booze and not worry about it - just enjoy a few beers or bottle of wine etc... 

Why was it banned ?... do you know the history ?

Booze was banned because a number of years ago a train conductor got drunk, raped and killed a girl and threw her body off the train - the knee-jerk reaction was to ban alcohol....

Alcohol was the demon, almost as if that was the issue, not the fact that the State Railways made a terribly poor choice in employing said rapist / murderer. 

That farang looks drunk and crazy

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

That farang looks drunk and crazy

he looks like the sort of drongo that turns up to the dining car at 10pm with all of his feral mates, squeezes out the locals and then tells the staff to change the awesome Thai music for his mix tape of random farang sh!te. because the Lonely Planet said that's what you must do.

Feral farang ruined Thai train travel long before the booze ban.

11 hours ago, SunsetT said:

If noticed would a blind eye be shown or would I risk being thrown off the train at the next station? Anyone have experience of this during train travel?

Discretion is the order of the day. If seen it will be confiscated little risk of being "thrown off".

I usually try and get first class, you have your own cabin and once the ticket check and bed is done you are not disturbed by security again.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

he looks like the sort of drongo that turns up to the dining car at 10pm with all of his feral mates, squeezes out the locals and then tells the staff to change the awesome Thai music for his mix tape of random farang sh!te. because the Lonely Planet said that's what you must do.

I enjoyed the trains in isaan. No bogans, chavs or clowns 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You would be wrong.

I have seen many that thought the same have it confiscated.

Many, really?

I've never had anything said to me but i've not used a train in Thailand for close to 20 years.

Edited by PJ71

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You just don't like being told you shouldn't drink for 12 hours , and you immaturely laugh at people who say that 

Why do you assume that no one can go x amount of time without alcohol, very strange...... maybe you need to speak to someone?

I drink alcohol very seldom, it's been about a month since my last drink fyi. My drug of choice is weed, is that ok with you?

ps - i find you even more amusing now - lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

he looks like the sort of drongo that turns up to the dining car at 10pm with all of his feral mates, squeezes out the locals and then tells the staff to change the awesome Thai music for his mix tape of random farang sh!te.

Wow you can tell all that just from a single photograph? Amazing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I drink beer. Just not everyday. Trains are not during the day.

Night trains best be sober to keep your wits about you.

Keep your wits about you ???...     you think every time someone enjoys a beer they fall into a drunken stupor ?? there is no healthy balance, its simply straight to the extremes ??

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Breaking the law is not a good idea.

That depends which laws.....     never crept up to 125kmh on the expressway ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Keep your wits about you ???...     you think every time someone enjoys a beer they fall into a drunken stupor ?? there is no healthy balance, its simply straight to the extremes ??

That depends which laws.....     never crept up to 125kmh on the expressway ?

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

What an utter load of projected tosh....  From one single photo you’ve ranted on a mix-tapes !!! hilariously ridiculous optics there.....  

Have you ever even been on a Thai Train ???......  Dining car ?

For the ‘experience’ i’ve travelled: 

KL - Hat Yai (2nd Class AC sleeper)

Hat Yai - Bangkok (2nd Class AC sleeper)

Bangkok - Chiang Mai (1st Class)

That was enough, then a friend visited and wanted to do the train so I did Hat Yai - Bangkok (2nd Class AC sleeper), again. 

Never was there any of this misbehaviour you’ve made up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I'd suggest the chances of anyone making a big deal of it are between zero and none.

47 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Many, really?

I've never had anything said to me but i've not used a train in Thailand for close to 20 years.

So you haven't used a train for 20 years and you are advising people on the procedure for boarding a train ?

• Haha 1