The landlady raises the monthly rental by 500 baht for "garbage collection and common fees"

amy28

I am in the process of signing one-year lease agreement and just have been waiting for the realtor to send me the contract. 

Yesterday I asked the realtor about where to dump the garbage and any fees for garbage collection. Today she replied that the landlady will charge 500 baht more per month to cover "garbage collection and common fees".  

I am very new to Chiang Mai. I spent two months in hotels and Airbnb and I've had no experience of renting a property in Thailand. I was aware that the utility and water bills are not included in monthly rental. But the realtor never had informed me of the garbage collection fees until I asked her yesterday. 

Is it common for tenants to pay 500 baht extra for "garbage collection and common fees"? (BTW, the property is a newly built bungalow in Doi Saket district.) 

500 baht extra is no big deal. But I just feel the realtor and landlady are not trustworthy. I'm worried about if the landlady will increase the rental for any random costs after I move in or find excuses to not return the deposits. Maybe it just sends me a signal to backoff while I still can.

Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never rent a place where electric and water bill come from landlord! That is where they put much extra on top(normaly). Its good if have own counter and pay bill what really use! I know its not possible in many place. I dont understand why need pay extra about garbage collection, many place even landlord not pay anything of that. 

• Like 1

Thailand is a bit unusual with respect to garbage collection fees.  Where I rent, I pay the electricity and water on my own--but, apparently, garbage fees would be charged directly to the landlord (the homeowner)--if they are even charged.  We just dump our garbage into a couple of large blue barrels that sit out streetside near the house.  Collection takes places during the night, around 3-4 a.m.  Our landlord told us when we first rented that we could just use the bins, and if there were any issues, such as if the collectors thought we weren't contributing our fees, we might later have to chip in 100-200 baht a month for our share (the bins are shared by multiple neighbors).  So far, we have paid nothing.  Perhaps the neighbors are satisfactorily covering the fees.  As I said, it's a bit unusual the way it is handled.

In my opinion, the 500-baht fee for trash collection in Chiangmai sounds reasonable.  I'm not in Chiangmai, and it might be a bit less here.

3 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Thailand is a bit unusual with respect to garbage collection fees.  Where I rent, I pay the electricity and water on my own--but, apparently, garbage fees would be charged directly to the landlord (the homeowner)--if they are even charged.  We just dump our garbage into a couple of large blue barrels that sit out streetside near the house.  Collection takes places during the night, around 3-4 a.m.  Our landlord told us when we first rented that we could just use the bins, and if there were any issues, such as if the collectors thought we weren't contributing our fees, we might later have to chip in 100-200 baht a month for our share (the bins are shared by multiple neighbors).  So far, we have paid nothing.  Perhaps the neighbors are satisfactorily covering the fees.  As I said, it's a bit unusual the way it is handled.

In my opinion, the 500-baht fee for trash collection in Chiangmai sounds reasonable.  I'm not in Chiangmai, and it might be a bit less here.

60 baht a month in our Moo Bahn. 500 is way too much unless there’s other services that the ‘common fees’ include.

• Like 2

Rental contracts are a bit more important for us visitors residing in thailand.

They form part of the procedure when you require certain types of Visas.

For example. 

Not sure if all immigration offices insist on this but some require the contract + the owners ID card and sometimes even a photocopy of the page of their green/blue? book, which is a government issued ownership document. The immigration also require those documents/copies to be signed/dated by the owner. 

It would be wise to make sure your realtor is onboard and aware of these requirements.

500 baht seems reasonable. Those fees are common, i have known those fees to be as a high as 3000 and as low as 160 baht per month during my time here. 

Your water and electric bills will be in the name of the house owner. Easily payable by visiting a 711 and presenting them with bill, pay and get the reciept stapled to the bill. 

A lot of agents push for 2 months deposit + 1 month rent in advance.  I have never paid this but i have also never posed an issue until i am with them face to face. I did get my full deposit back from an agent, be prepared for agent to deduct cleaning fees from a deposit.

• Thanks 1

The common fees can range from 10K baht to 30K baht/year in a condo. I have not heard of common fees for a separate house or bungalow, although admittedly I don't rent one. Landlords pay the common fees in the condos I have rented.

IIRC my GF pays 100 baht/month for her house in the village for garbage collection.

In the OP's shoes, I would check if the electricity and water bills go directly to him from PEA, or through the lessor. If it's the latter, I suspect he should prepare to be gouged if he signs the lease.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, amy28 said:

500 baht extra is no big deal. But I just feel the realtor and landlady are not trustworthy. I'm worried about if the landlady will increase the rental for any random costs after I move in or find excuses to not return the deposits. Maybe it just sends me a signal to backoff while I still can.

Trust your instincts....    unless of course you really like the place and are prepared to take the hit on loss of deposit etc... 

The landlord can only put the price up come renewal time, they could try before hand and make life difficult for you - again... trust your instinct on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What are the "common fees" ?

Is there a gardener, swimming pool , security guard, an area that needs staff?

Kind of irrelevant...   this is built into the rental quote... 

What next ?... will the landlady decide to charge extra for the fridge and sofa ?

It could be a genuine mistake, i.e. the first time the landlady has rented out her house and doesn’t really know what she should or shouldn’t be charging for. But, it also looks a like a ‘squeeze’... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm suprised it's just not included in the rent.

If its a nice place and good location I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

How is the rental market now in Chiang Mai?

I've heard it's not as ridiculously over priced as pre COVID times. 

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I pay 250bht/year for refuse collection in MaeJo/SanSai.

OK not CM but northern BKK.

Our annual village fees are 350Baht, includes garbage, street lighting, Puyai Baan speaker announcements etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK not CM but northern BKK.

Our annual village fees are 350Baht, includes garbage, street lighting, Puyai Baan speaker announcements etc.

You have to pay to listen to the announcements of who has monetary contributed to the current local cause ?

*Crossy from number ten, Nung loi Baht * ????

• Haha 2