Overstay 2 days after visa expires due to delayed flight?

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

That all said, I doubt whether the OP at the age of 20 is likely to be faced with a situation of this sort any time soon! 

@ukrules - a further point worth bearing in mind is that it has now come to my attention that the overstay interdiction applies to ALL non-immigrant visa conversions, not just those of the "O" variety for retirement:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

In which case a 2-day overstay now could prove problematical for the OP rather sooner than in  30 years' time. The Immigration Bureau already have the means of checking a foreigner's immigration history over the validity period of previous passports, a task which will surely be made easier, rather than more difficult, with evolving technologies over the passage of time.

Furthermore, a number of changes to immigration procedures which have acted to my detriment personally have already taken place over the past 14 years I have been living in Thailand. Who knows what further goalpost shifting might be under consideration in both the short and longer term, which could have an adverse impact on all us foreigners, including the OP?

Finally, the fact that a 2-day overstay might sound trivial to the likes of @DrJack54 and @Liverpool Lou does not, of course, automatically mean that the Immigration Bureau will take a similarly relaxed view. So IMHO you were definitely right in urging caution to the OP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That means if you are on a overstay you cannot apply for the visa. You have to read the entire 3 lines where that is written.

image.png.7de47b336fe4d6acc459b4b8bd05153d.png

I don't doubt that this is the official rule, but at least Jomtien immigration refused to issue non-immigrant visas to those having an overstay stamp in their passport (!) during Covid. Not just to those currently on overstay (which is kind of implied anyway, as there's a requirement to have at least 15 days left). As always, different immigration offices interpret those rules differently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I don't doubt that this is the official rule, but at least Jomtien immigration refused to issue non-immigrant visas to those having an overstay stamp in their passport (!) during Covid. Not just to those currently on overstay (which is kind of implied anyway, as there's a requirement to have at least 15 days left). As always, different immigration offices interpret those rules differently.

I am certain they would not deny it to somebody that had a short overstay before. Maybe if it was a recent long one such as 30 days for example.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:46 PM, FritsSikkink said:

the 7 days, you need to leave stamp will cost you 1900 thb and will consume more time than to pay the 1000 thb overstay.

The overstay will be logged against you and whilst now it may mean nothing you dont know if it will in the future. Just saying.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OJAS said:

2-day overstayers are not permitted to apply for non-O visa conversions for retirement - see the following link which has been posted on here several times already.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

So @ukrules has IMHO raised a perfectly valid point.

I believe that reference in the link is addressed to those on an overstay who are attempting to get a further extension.

I have had two very short overstays over the years (sorted on departure) and have never had an issue with getting further Non-O retirement extensions.

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I believe that reference in the link is addressed to those on an overstay who are attempting to get a further extension.

I have had two very short overstays over the years (sorted on departure) and have never had an issue with getting further Non-O retirement extensions.

But the wording does state IF YOU HAVE OVERSTAYED - which does imply to me past overstays period. However, consistent with your personal experiences, the wording should, of course, have read IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON OVERSTAY. So clearly yet another case of sloppy translation on the Immigration Bureau's part resulting in totally unnecessary confusion. Why on earth are they seemingly unable to employ translators whose grasp of the English language is somewhat greater than kindergarden school pupils'? Rant over.

Edited by OJAS