Sugary Drink Tax Hike Postponed

snoop1130

1663655474_200881-tnamcot-768x378.jpeg

BANGKOK, Sept 20 (TNA) – The cabinet resolved to delay a third-phase increase in the sugary drink tax for six months to avoid worsening financial burdens on people.

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said the tax hike would be postponed from Oct 1 this year to March 31 next year to curb the cost of living.

Otherwise, the private sector would pass the bigger tax burden on to consumers.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1021503

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-09-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Considering the damage caused by this addictive substance, the silence from all the "concerned members" is actually deafening when compared to the current debate on cannabis,

Where are all the horror stories and the peer reviewed evidence relating to sugar ?  Where are all the people worrying about its detrimental effects on the youth,  Its not like the evidence doesn't exist, and there is no shortage of diseases for which it is responsible,  diabetes is a horrible chronic disease and tooth decay is also highly unpleasant and irreversible . 

Sugar is not needed in any food but for some reason it is added to all food ,  why is this  happening and why is it allowed  ??  I would imagine that the damage caused by sugar  is a bigger burden on society than the damage caused by all illegal drugs put together

Sugar should be banned as a food  additive and should only be allowed for use in the production of alcohol 

• Thanks 1

Obesity is NOT  a problem you clowns!!!!

Obesity results in people making BILLIONS........capitalism and addiction at work!

This planet is full of weak - minded sheep who put sugar on the top of icing because a cake isn't a cake without a glass of liquid cane sugar.

Sugar will help me for minutes....then I crash...more sugar is there!!!

if we cared about humans, we would act.......but then who would go to the hospitals?!!!!!  

• Like 2

"I would imagine that the damage caused by sugar  is a bigger burden on society than the damage caused by all illegal drugs put together

Sugar should be banned as a food  additive and should only be allowed for use in the production of alcohol"

Alcohol is also a bigger burden on society than the damage caused by all illegal drugs put together as well. If you want to totally ban sugar makes sense to ban alcohol too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Alcohol is also a bigger burden on society than the damage caused by all illegal drugs put together as well. If you want to totally ban sugar makes sense to ban alcohol too.

Why stop there? Kill off a few more industries deemed burdens that generate billions!

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The cabinet resolved to delay a third-phase increase in the sugary drink tax for six months to avoid worsening financial burdens on people

It's for their health... but hey ho, let the hospitals sort out the trouble later down the road.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Why stop there? Kill off a few more industries deemed burdens that generate billions!

I was responding to his call on a total sugar ban and what some may see as a logical follow on with the banning on alcohol.

Personally I would not want to see the banning of either just the encouragement of moderate and healthy consumption. A tax rate on both is part of that encouragement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

It's for their health... but hey ho, let the hospitals sort out the trouble later down the road.

If the biggest majority of people started to look after their health. no smoking, moderate alcohol. moderate sugar intake. exercise regularly, etc, etc, what would that do to the bigwigs in the medical professions offshore bank accounts?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Would this have much to do with CPF owning thousands of rai of cane farms.

with respect, to my knowledge the CP group is not a major player in Thailand's sugar industry. Where I lived in Isaan, everything linked to sugar was owned by the Mitr Phol Company, which must now be "rubbing its hands"!

Reference Wikipedia:

Mitr Phol Sugar Corp is a privately owned group of companies, mainly owned by the Vongkusolkit family..........Mitr Phol is ranked as the world's fifth largest sugar producer,[2] and the largest producer in Asia.......... It is Thailand's largest sugar producer and the second largest in China..........  Mitr Phol has operations and investments in Lao PDR, Cambodia, and most recently Australia. In Thailand, Mitr Phol has six sugar mills, .....................The locations are:

• Thanks 2