Thailand turns to Russia as foreign tourist revenue is projected to be only 21% of 2019 record figures

webfact

2 hours ago, blazes said:

So Eva Air will be bringing the Russians in via Taipei?  Did Xi Xi suggest to Vlad that this would be an excellent way to irritate the Taiwanese?

Did you read the linked article?

Talking with Taiwan’s EVA Air to boost connectivity with Europe with its Vienna to Taipei flight

Mr Yuthasak also revealed that the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is in negotiations with Taiwan’s EVA Air to introduce flight links to Taipei through which international traffic from other parts of the world can also be routed to and from Thailand including European countries.

EVA Air operates a popular flight between Vienna and Taipei.

In spite of the headline it's not just about the Russians.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I wonder how many of these Russian tourists will find a way to never return to Russia.

Minutes after posting the above I came across this:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/russians-google-leave-country-while-193742609.html

I know some here who won't go back  because (a) they have friends or family in Ukraine, and (b) they are afraid they will be called up again and forced to go there and fight.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, Thailand shame on you importing this nations tourists. Elite showing their true faces again to the world.  Still I guess they look at it as 'its only a 5th of our road deaths, so whats the problem ? ' 

I've got no prejudices against Russians. And the road deaths in Thailand have nothing to do with the theme in question. 

• Like 1

Good Morning ,

Maybe Thailand’s status under The U.N. Security Counsel should be reevaluated !! Practicing these behaviors !! 
Also as an American ???????? I would say are you willing to risk a alliance and friendship that Thailand ???????? And America ???????? Have enjoyed for over 200 Years !!?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

there will be tours of these hollowed out shells, of huge hotels that were built, and could neither find guests to stay, nor even a market for condo conversions, and ended up abandoned, after buyers could not be found, or owners refused to accept 20% of the land and construction costs, as a sales price. 

That is where I see the future of Thai tourism. 

That's quite a prediction. Would that include Pattaya? If so you should be discussing this with @newnative because I'm curious how long it is going to be to find out who is correct.

2 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning,

AN ABSOLUTE SHAME THAILAND !!

meanwhile people are being oppressed and killed and tortured in Ukraine and your supporting Russia inviting tourist.

not to mention chartering planes to circumvent what the major airlines are NOT !! DOING !! SHAMEFUL !! 

it’s very true what they say it’s all about Baht !! SAD !!  

Sad, but I'm not even slightly surprised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lujanit said:

Where are all the trillionaire Indians and Arabs who were going to save the tourist industry?  Oh more hot air out of TAT.

Inviting Russians here on charter flights is as low as TAT can go.  They have no human compassion.  Maybe the Thai government should send support to the Ukraine instead of supporting that ratbag dictator Putin.  Of course the 3Ps wouldn't want to upset Xi.

"Where are all the trillionaire Indians and Arabs who were going to save the tourist industry?  Oh more hot air out of TAT."

In Pattaya, but hardly trillionaires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

as figures reveal a sharp fall off in long haul flights and spending per capita. 

Must come as a shock to TAT as they thought it would be all hunky dory this year.

Billionaires tripping over their tuxedo tails and spitting out their caviar to get here.

Didn't happen, but low cost Indians saved the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blazes said:

So Eva Air will be bringing the Russians in via Taipei?  Did Xi Xi suggest to Vlad that this would be an excellent way to irritate the Taiwanese?

At first glance I was surprised to see that pictured airplane was not Thai, since they obviously need the revenue. But perhaps they don't want it from this source for fear of being sanctioned elsewhere.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This week, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) told reporters that, in the coming months, airline connectivity between Thailand and the rest of the world will be at 50% of that seen in 2019

So people are finally getting the message that there are other places, more welcoming and less chaotic, than Thailand to visit. A 50% reduction of flights is quite an achievement. Well done, Thailand. BA no longer flying to the country, Emirates have reduced the number of flights. I haven't checked EVA recently, but didn't they reduce from daily to three flights a week?