Typhoon Noru

Gecko123

I was driving around in the surrounding area of BKK yesterday, most areas are already on the brink of flooding (meaning water is almost level with road surfaces almost everywhere i drove). It was raining continuously all day yesterday. As Noru nears Vietnam I think widespread flooding will occur everywhere.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You've still got until Thursday to prepare.

I've got generators for our refrigerators and TV'S.  The river near our house is already close to overflowing even without the coming deluge.

I'm excited.  Nothing really happens in Issan.  Beats watching the chickens cross the street. 

"Heavy rain, flash floods forecast for most provinces as Noru heads to Vietnam"

[Thailand News App] Nation Thailand: Heavy rain, flash floods forecast for most provinces as Noru heads to Vietnam

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40020445

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

I was driving around in the surrounding area of BKK yesterday, most areas are already on the brink of flooding (meaning water is almost level with road surfaces almost everywhere i drove). It was raining continuously all day yesterday. As Noru nears Vietnam I think widespread flooding will occur everywhere.

And 6 days later Nuru's runoff will roll into Bangkok like a sledgehammer.

They've already flooded fields upper Bangkok proper and Ayutthaya.

https://zoom.earth/storms/noru-2022/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry to hear.  This storm as I just saw and looked at some weather sites is absolutely huge

Upgraded to "Super Typhoon" yesterday.

Even as a tropical depression it'll pack a punch and plenty of moisture as it moves slowly over Northern Thailand. 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

It doesn't do a lot for replenishing the supermarkets.

Back in 2011 the distribution chain broke down due to flooding and most supermarket shelves were empty of bottled and canned goods.

Getting hold of beer was a problem, what was available was being reserved for bars to try and keep them in business.

Here in Chonburi we didn't fare too bad as there is a fair amount of local produce but some areas suffered quite a bit.

"Important factors" are more important to some than others.

Im a borderline alcoholic and even i can say that water is more important than beer. Stuff the bars, water and food first!!!

Weather Warning Announcement icon_xml.gif

Weather Warning
"Typhoon NORU"

No. 9 Time Issued : September 27, 2022
     At 10.00 a.m. on 27 September, typhoon NORU over the middle South China Sea was due 380 km southeast of Danang, Vietnam or latitude 15.3 degrees North and longitude 111.7 degrees East. With its sustained winds about 156 km/hr, the storm is moving west at a speed about 30 km/hr to make landfall over middle Vietnam by 28 September. It will then weaken to a tropical storm before moving pass the lower Laos and moving into the middle and the lower Northeast on 29 September. It will then weaken to a tropical depression, respectively. Meanwhile, the southwest monsoon across the Andaman Sea, southern Thailand and the Gulf will strengthen. It will affect heavy rains in much of the North, the Northeast, the Central including Bangkok and its vicinity, the East and the South. All those regions will also have very heavy rains and gusty winds in some places. People should beware of the severe conditions that may cause flash floods and overflows, especially along the waterways near foothills and lowlands. Residents along the seashore should beware of inshore surges.

Affected areas are as following:

During 27 - 28 September 2022

Northeast: Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Mukdahan,

Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram,

Surin, Sisaket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Lop Buri, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Sa Kaeo, Chonburi, Rayong,

Chanthaburi and Trat.

South : Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

29 September 2022

North: Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun.

Northeast: Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Mukdahan, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, Surin, Sisaket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Suphan Buri, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, including Bangkok and its vicinity.

Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

30 September 2022

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukhothai, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun.

Northeast: Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen

and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Central: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Suphan Buri, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Samut Songkhram,

Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, including Bangkok and its vicinity.

Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong, Phang Nga and Phuket.

The stronger wind forces the waves in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf 2-3 meters high and more than 3 meters high in thundershowers. The waves in the lower Gulf are about 2 meters high and in thundershowers more than 2 meters high. All ships keep ashore from 27 September to 1 October.

This advisory is in effect on 27 September 2022, at 11.00 a.m.

This next issue will be at 27 September 2022, at 5.00 p.m.

(Signed) Chomparee Chompurat

(Miss Chomparee Chompurat)

Director-General

Thai Meteorological Department

13 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I vaguely recall what one looks like.

A quick check on google tells me there is a river in Chonburi, its Bang Pakong River and it flooding won't affect me, I live about 70km from it.... On a hill.

...is your nickname Noah by any chance?  ????

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Raining good right now on my side of Downtown BKK.

Seems like it's raining all the time in Bangkok Typhoon or not!

Do you think the river will breach the walls?  Seems the storm has taken a more Southernly direction.