my favourite hotel does not have internet anymore

parafareno

15 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Why dont you get a sim. 200 baht unlimited for a month?

Yes. I bought an AIS tourist SIM at Suvarnabhumi. There was a choice of speeds at different prices and unlimited data. Can't remember the speed I purchased but I'm paying 88 baht a week for it. Been fine.

• Like 2

Just now, Fairynuff said:

I used to say that 6 or 7 years ago. Now I live in the real world where unlimited internet costs me 1800 baht for a year

Most tourists live in the real world not la la land aka Thailand. They might buy Thai sim but dont need it with global roaming and most dont. No free wifi no customers from overseas. Their loss.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sure but hotel owners need to prioritize what services are critical to getting customers. It's called identiying 'Critical Success Factors' and ensuring they re getting enough attention.

Nowadays very few customers will book a hotel which doesn't have internet. Reality.

comparison could be the 'ice machine on level 3 is broken', that's not critical, and if necessary guests can order an ice bucket from room service. There's a workable easy alternative.

Internet is no longer critical because everyone, well in your case almost everyone has it on their phone.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you fly into a different country... i.e. UAE, Singapore, Malaysia etc...  Do you always buy a local SIM to use for internet ????

I must admit, its something I do if I’m going to spend any amount of time there (i.e. a week etc).. but not a lot of people do.

First thing I do when I travel is buy a local SIM. That way I’m online when I leave the hotel. Last month in Malaysia a 7 day sim cost MR20 that’s about 160 baht.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

First thing I do when I travel is buy a local SIM. That way I’m online when I leave the hotel. Last month in Malaysia a 7 day sim cost MR20 that’s about 160 baht.

In the not too distant future no smartphones will have a SIM card. Only esim will be possible. Get ready. No I phones 14's sold in USA have s SIM card slot already. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, rankric said:

Having your own dedicated access to the internet is a must anywhere now. Reliance on WIFI is a begpacker type request. Sorry to say but there's zero upside to sharing WIFI, security issues, lack of portability, shoddy connections. If i was a hotel i'd get rid of it too. Its over.

Totally agree with you. If internet is so important (it is for me) then always be self sufficient with a phone and internet sim card or two. Hotel Wifi is often slow, drops out, can't connect or weak signal and that's before security implications if not using a VPN. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you fly into a different country... i.e. UAE, Singapore, Malaysia etc...  Do you always buy a local SIM to use for internet ????

I must admit, its something I do if I’m going to spend any amount of time there (i.e. a week etc).. but not a lot of people do.

I do yes and lots of people do. That is why they have sim card booths in airports, right after you land. Two week tourists maybe not, but imagine if they did, it would make their lives much easier and safer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:23 PM, Fairynuff said:

I never do that because then I have a different number.   If you are with AIS you can get seven days unlimited data roaming in Malaysia for 93 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I never do that because then I have a different number.   If you are with AIS you can get seven days unlimited data roaming in Malaysia for 93 baht.

It’s not about being on the same number for me it’s about being online. Anyone likely to call me already has multiple ways of doing so via apps.. I’m on True who from experience are not  as reliable as AIS