Survey – Bangkok among 5 best cities for expats to live and work in 2022

webfact

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

And for the average expat it is impossible to get a work permit...unless you want to do teaching...and then the pay and pensions are far less than teaching in their own country. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a great place, but it's definitely not the best place for working age expats to live. 

Yet to understand financial motive to teach here.  Where I come from, Philly, USA, teaching is one of the better paying jobs straight out of Uni, especially since only 9 month work year.

Hindsight, think I would have went that route, IF pay was at that level in 1973.  Then it was a terrible paying job, and people did it for the joy of it, and the results showed.  My first 2 real jobs out of HS. Lithographic Printing & Steelworker, paid more than starting teacher salaries in 1973, and no degree needed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

Confirmation once again about our wonderful Bangkok. And once again the bumpkins come out in droves to harp on about the Thai countryside. When will they stop this denial? 

Never, love growing our own organic food and living a nice quiet life here and being able to go visit all parts of Thailand when we feel the need, I live in Buri Ram province small town called Lam Plai Mat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I think if you're happy then great!

That's a beautiful thing!

I want my brother to move here, he's struggling on 1,450 US pension in California. 

He can move into one of our guest houses.  Just pay for utilities, food, living expenses. 

A lot happier and the girls are prettier here! 

Sadly that income would not satisfy imigration requirements unless married to one of the pretty girls. I think he could get by, especially with no rent to pay but a retirement visa does require either 800,000 baht in the bank or proof of 65,000 baht monthly income. If you are in a position to loan him the balance of the 800,000 for a couple of months each year 

I think it is doable.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, Kwaibill said:

I find it pretty affordable compared to the US. Decent meal can be had for about $3.00 near me in Samut Prakan, if willing to eat like a local.

A day at hospital  with EKG and consultation with cardiologist who arranged with a manufactuter's rep. to come and adjjust my pacemaker day before cholecystectomy, tb3,000, or about $80.00. Pretty cheap in my experience. Good thing I don't drink much which would up the ante quite a bit.

Addendum: just had a delicious meal of bean thread noodles with plenty of veggies and chunks of white meat chicken. 50 baht delivered. Compare to 280 baht for a McDonalds meal. Fancier joints I plan on 1,000 baht/head.

4 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Sadly that income would not satisfy imigration requirements unless married to one of the pretty girls. I think he could get by, especially with no rent to pay but a retirement visa does require either 800,000 baht in the bank or proof of 65,000 baht monthly income. If you are in a position to loan him the balance of the 800,000 for a couple of months each year 

I think it is doable.

Many good agents can help make a smooth transition.

I'd have to initially put 800,000 baht.

He could wash the cars and help clean the pools to work of the debt.

I'd love to see him happy.

He's had a tough time of it the last 10 years. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 4:07 PM, KhunLA said:
On 10/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, Nemises said:

Thanks for that information. Might have to move to somewhere better. Where in Thailand do you live?

That's top secret

Happy to criticize BKK, but not prepared to identify the area you live... for fear of criticism! Got it ????

20 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Happy to criticize BKK, but not prepared to identify the area you live... for fear of criticism! Got it ????

I did state we're below HH, so any and all areas south of have better air quality than Krung Thep.

You're actually under the impression I would care what you think, or your criticism ... that's some funny sh!t right there.

Have a nice day

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I did state we're below HH, so any and all areas south of have better air quality than Krung Thep.

You're actually under the impression I would care what you think, or your criticism ... that's some funny sh!t right there.

Have a nice day

Below HH ?! Been there... and never again. Boring as bat sh!t. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

any and all areas south of have better air quality than Krung Thep

the fact that you have to talk about air quality is a red flag to me when considering retiring.

Yes, it's cheaper, but your health will deteriorate faster.  You will tell yourself Thailand is better for your health, but that's simply not true.  Cheaper, yes.  Only cheaper.  Happier?  I'm sure that is based on you, not where you are at.   Nobody is happy in London?  NYC?  Millions are happy.  Happy, rich people don't go on forums and say they are rich and happy.

BKK.......I think it's fine to live and work there for maybe up to 2 years if a kid.   under 30.  However, at that age it would be much better to actually get real experience in a falang city.  If older and doing some nomad stuff, Chiang Mai has to be better until the smoke comes.

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

Happier?  I'm sure that is based on you, not where you are at.   

No argument from me.  I've been happy, where ever I've lived.  Happier and enjoyed some spots more than others, but always happy.  I self entertain easy.

So you don't live in TH or have plans on retiring here.  As most, if not all of TH, has a spot of bad AQI #s during the year.

Certainly not like most of EU & USA, where AQI most of the year is under 50.  One of the reasons I enjoy rainy season, as nice and green, and fresh air.  Only get a couple months of 75-100 AQI, and a good time to explore further south.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 6:04 PM, MrJ2U said:

Many good agents can help make a smooth transition.

I'd have to initially put 800,000 baht.

He could wash the cars and help clean the pools to work of the debt.

I'd love to see him happy.

He's had a tough time of it the last 10 years. 

Good on you. You are "your brother's keeper."

I've not much use for Christianity per se, but there are some great notions in their and almost everybody's scriptures.

• Like 1