Survey – Bangkok among 5 best cities for expats to live and work in 2022

webfact

Bangkok..

Street food prices OK

BTS and MRT are good, but probably expensive. I was working as an expat in another country where MRT ride rate in the city I lived was equivalent of 8 baht flat rate to any stop. 

Restaurant quality non Thai meals are expensive and poorly prepared on the whole. Eastern Europeand central Asia have far better quality food and wine and  very competitive pricing. 

Alcohol and wine in particular in Thailand are rediculously priced.

Bangkok Condo values have dropped, whilst the world wide trend has been property price growth. 

Driving a vehicle in Bangkok is a drag and riding a motorcycle is fraught with risk. I love riding motorbikes but I refuse to ride one while I am in Bangkok. If you want to stay jammed in traffic with ignorant drivers then come to Bangkok.

Bangkok regularly has flooding and has filthy klongs. The Venice of the east should really be changed to the toxic septic canals of Asia.

I have always been a runner and I found Bangkok to be the worse city I have ever been to for being able to run, especially in the CBD area. I don't call running around a path in a park to be equitable with street running. Street running  here I'd very difficult...maybe doable in some parts of Dusit etc but generally very unpleasant.

Bangkok shopping options are good between the malls and markets. 

All in all I personally rank Bangkok as the worst city that I have ever lived in bar none and if it weren't for the fact that we own a 3 bed condo here in the city that I can only sell at a loss I would have moved  already. I appreciate that some people like Bangkok and good on them, I am not one of the Bangkok lovers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Depends what you call a big spender. My old, late, (and very rich) Swedish friend would spend 1500 on a lump of cheese, and think nothing of it! He was a big spender (and a generous guy too).

I used to spend 50,000 to 60,000 on a basic, single lifestyle (20k rent).

I'd have to save up for a few months to get that cheese.

Sorry about your pal Andrew.

When I first came to Thailand the ex-rate was 70+ baht to £1. Now it's just over 40. Not everyone is rolling in it. Some here are on the basic state pensions.

If I had to return to England I'd get a top-of-the-range bivvi and take out a season ticket at a nice fishing venue. Could easily manage on my 500 squids a month then. But I digress. Thailand is my home and I love it here. The weather,,,,,. And other stuff too. Quite happy with my 20k baht. And when/if the ex-rate gets up to 70, I'll splash out on those little life luxuries; cheese, beer, ladies. haircuts etc. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Many do Andrew. But you are over-simplying things. Out of the 20k, must first put aside the monthly spend. Take out the rent, leccy and internet. That leaves 13k. Put aside 2k for the m/c. Also the 1k for Wat donations. What we have left is 10k. You just spend as you go for the month. If you can't go fishing then that's a saving there. Celibacy for the month! Gonna be a surplus.

I suspect you are a big spender Andrew.

Ceilbacy!? I was celibate for many of my later years in Thailand. Couldn't be bothered in the end. (When I first lived there I was at it all the time!).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Ceilbacy!? I was celibate for many of my later years in Thailand. Couldn't be bothered in the end. (When I first lived there I was at it all the time!).

Such honesty Andrew. Big up to you. No wonder you are a zillionairre.

I'm the same with the ladies, although I often get accused of sending Chinese ladies money on the internet.

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

It’s interesting how the BKK haters on here never mention where they live…

During my 20 years of living in retirement in Thailand, and a known hater of Bangkok, I lived among other ex-pat country bumpkins up North in Lanna - that should give you clue!

• Like 1

Bottom of top 5 based upon the price of a tiny condo which if purchased by the same expatriate would be a rather poor investment. Moreover, to make that purchase the working expatriate must use his savings from abroad rather than income earned in Bangkok.

Grrrrrrreat

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

20k a month.  650 baht a day.

That's just barely surviving.  

It's not barely surviving. I spend about 22k pm includes some costs I share with wife such as rent, utilities, household, food, restaurants - holidays, medical excluded.

What it doesn't include is p4p sex, overpriced western meals on Sukhumvit, living in a pub.

I'd say it's a solid base amount for an expat to live a somewhat local life on.

I bank about 50k pm from work. Much of it makes its way into long term savings.

If I spent another 20k on bigger condo and restaurants I wouldn't even know what to do with the rest if spent in BKK.

Edited by BonMot
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

and spend hours a day going to and from the office.

It takes me 50 minutes door to door to get to work and that includes approximately 1km of walking and presuming a wait on either BTS and/or MRT of five mins each. Without question the easiest commute I've ever had. Cost is 80b total round trip. Wife is in the crush on the way home so it's a wait and three stops.

Life is sometimes what you make of it

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Big misconception that Thailand is cheap.

I find it pretty affordable compared to the US. Decent meal can be had for about $3.00 near me in Samut Prakan, if willing to eat like a local.

A day at hospital  with EKG and consultation with cardiologist who arranged with a manufactuter's rep. to come and adjjust my pacemaker day before cholecystectomy, tb3,000, or about $80.00. Pretty cheap in my experience. Good thing I don't drink much which would up the ante quite a bit.

Edited by Kwaibill
Clumsy grammar
  • Like 1

Preply are doing this as a survey to help their teachers, who can work from anywhere, to decide where to live. I think bkk is a  decent city to live in. If you work from home then commuting is not much of a problem. On the edge of the city i rent a house with a lake and free fishing in the garden, that would not really be possible in other cities at the prices i pay. 

There are nicer cities to live in but they tend to be much more expensive and there a cheaper cities but with limited luxuries and pishy unreliable internet. If i were to move from bangkok as a freelancer teaching online then i would probably go to HCMC or eastern europe as i think these are the next best paces to be a preply teacher

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Bangkok..

Street food prices OK

BTS and MRT are good, but probably expensive. I was working as an expat in another country where MRT ride rate in the city I lived was equivalent of 8 baht flat rate to any stop. 

Restaurant quality non Thai meals are expensive and poorly prepared on the whole. Eastern Europeand central Asia have far better quality food and wine and  very competitive pricing. 

Bangkok Condo values have dropped, whilst the world wide trend has been property price growth. 

Driving a vehicle in Bangkok is a drag and riding a motorcycle is fraught with risk. I love riding motorbikes but I refuse to ride one while I am in Bangkok. If you want to stay jammed in traffic with ignorant drivers then come to Bangkok.

Bangkok regularly has flooding and has filthy klongs. The Venice of the east should really be changed to the toxic septic canals of Asia.

I have always been a runner and I found Bangkok to be the worse city I have ever been to for being able to run, especially in the CBD area. I don't call running around a path in a park to be equitable with street running. Street running  here I'd very difficult...maybe doable in some parts of Dusit etc but generally very unpleasant.

All in all I personally rank Bangkok as the worst city that I have ever lived in bar none and if it weren't for the fact that we own a 3 bed condo here in the city that I can only sell at a loss I would have moved  already. I appreciate that some people like Bangkok and good on them, I am not one of the Bangkok lovers.

Good points!

Sometimes just easier and cheaper to grab a "Grab" ride then use the BTS or MRT.  Especially with more than one person. 

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I think if you're happy then great!

That's a beautiful thing!

I want my brother to move here, he's struggling on 1,450 US pension in California. 

He can move into one of our guest houses.  Just pay for utilities, food, living expenses. 

A lot happier and the girls are prettier here! 

I am happy. Decent job, great wife.

Awkwardly stated I do not share those costs with wife - I cover those costs (I pay exclusively). On her part, she often brings home some food on the weekend.

Issue for him would be will he like Thai food and can truly like off of it. If you require western food even cooking at home you'd need to add perhaps 6k pm.

I also get free lunches but even eating in a food court 20x a month on Sukhumvit in T21 or Amarin would only be like 2000k pm extra.

Burger fries b350-400

Phad Kapow, Khai dow b45-70

Edited by BonMot

6 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I am happy. Decent job, great wife.

Awkwardly stated I do not share those costs with wife - I cover those costs (I pay exclusively). On her part, she often brings home some food on the weekend.

Issue for him would be will he like Thai food and can truly like off of it. If you require western food even cooking at home you'd need to add perhaps 6k pm.

I also get free lunches but even eating in a food court 20x a month on Sukhumvit in T21 or Amarin would only be like 2000k pm extra.

Burger fries b350-400

Phad Kapow, Khai dow b45-70

Food ⁹court  Terminal 21 are usually excellent and reasonable priced!

Sounds like your doing great.

Good on you! 

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Hard to believe a Muzzy country/city is #1, if taking AN member's top concerns of:

Alcohol

Hooker ... not necessarily in that order ????

KL is actually good for a night out. There's no shortage of pubs and bars in KL, and no restrictions on the sale of alcohol; no silly ban on sales between 2 and 5pm. As for hookers they not difficult to find either.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Hell NO, I'd never make it out alive in a Muzzy country.  Someone might ask for my opinion of Mohammed ... I like my head.

Having lived and worked in Malaysia 3 years, and worked in Indonesia for 8, no one has ever asked my opinion on Islam or the Prophet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree with that, but since you don't know me or have read any other posts of mine, apparently, about Krung Thep, then the rest of your reply really missed it's mark.

ENJOY

Glad we agree KhunLA. But I'm afraid I have better things to do than to write, let alone read, your 6440 posts to this forum. Actually, I'm wasting my time saying anything in this forum! Cheerio.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'll break it down for you Sir. Per month.

Rent, leccy, water and internet 7k

Food 4.2k

Beer 1.8k

Motorbike upkeep and fuel 2k

Donations to local Wat 1k

Donations to wayward ladies 2k

Other items, flip flops, hats etc 1k

Fishing fees 1k

Comes in at exactly 20k.

You have to pay me 50,000 a month to live in Udon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Bangkok..

Street food prices OK

Always rent for 6 months before buying. Bkk is great for 7 days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

As you mentioned 60-100 baht its really not much.  Ok for a wee girl for a school meal.

It's usually an oily water mixture with a little sinewy meat mix laden with sugar, MSG, and salt. 

Fine in an emergency but if thats your daily diet expect diabetes and high blood pressure to follow. 

"The greatest increase is projected for economically developing countries, such as Thailand, that already account for approximately two-thirds of all individuals with diabetes."

https://diabetesjournals.org/care/article/26/10/2758/26105/The-Prevalence-and-Management-of-Diabetes-in-Thai

Better stick with McDonald's,KFC, and Burger King! 

My food budget was 150 baht a day plus 7 11

14 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Bangkok..

Street food prices OK

If you want to stay jammed in traffic with ignorant drivers then come to Bangkok.

Bangkok regularly has flooding and has filthy klongs.

Except the street food if on a busy street get a lot of air particulate matter floating around it.  

Alcohol is excessively overpriced.  

Driving is terrible in Bangkok.  The cost of the car or truck in Thailand is very expensive.

Rainy season is bad with all the flooding and particularly bad this year.

Running in Bangkok is very difficult.  It's hot and humid and running on the streets is not a good idea.  I lived over in the Dusit area.  Not that good of a place for running.  Then there is the air pollution.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Except the street food if on a busy street get a lot of air particulate matter floating around it.  

Alcohol is excessively overpriced.  

Driving is terrible in Bangkok.  The cost of the car or truck in Thailand is very expensive.

Rainy season is bad with all the flooding and particularly bad this year.

Running in Bangkok is very difficult.  It's hot and humid and running on the streets is not a good idea.  I lived over in the Dusit area.  Not that good of a place for running.  Then there is the air pollution.

And for the average expat it is impossible to get a work permit...unless you want to do teaching...and then the pay and pensions are far less than teaching in their own country. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a great place, but it's definitely not the best place for working age expats to live. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I love Krung Thep, but couldn't live there half the year due to the smog.

Khun LA, you are being too kind.  Half of the year it is extremely unhealthy.  The other half of the year it is just bad.  It's one of the reasons the Thai traffic police have such high incidents of COPD despite wearing masks and this was pre-Covid.  

• Like 1