Rabbit bite. Do I need rabies jab?

jack71

We have a few rabbits and one is not so friendly. I went to pat him and he bit me on my hand and there was blood. I washed with soapy water right away. 

I asked the local vet and he asked if they are in enclosed area or not? Any contact with other small animals or rats. Maybe rats in the back yard. 

I had a full course of rabies jabs in 2004 and a jab in nov 2012. Then I had 2 rabies jabs in dec 2012 and another one feb 2014........ Thus 8 years ago since the last one 

I googled this subject and 10 years ago someone died or rabies (from a rabbit bite) in bkk having purchased a rabbit from the main market in central bkk. 

Im about to fly out of thailand for a holiday this weekend and thus its a pain in the rear end

Any suggestions? I think its low risk. My rabbits are in good health and I had the last jab 8 years ago. I think they last 10 yrs?

Edited by jack71

Rabbit stew?

But seriously now - although rabbits & other lagomorphs can be infected it is very uncommon. Most recorded cases involve infection after being bitten by raccoons (in the US).

If your rabbit has not been exposed to other potentially infected animals - it is very unlikely that it has been infected with rabies. 

I have been bitten by several rabbits - some of them are just angry a-holes.

For definitive diagnosis - send his brain to the lab - and stew the rest of him!!   

Even with previously immunized people, and additional 2 doses of vaccine are recommended after exposure. This is true regardless of how recent the vaccination was.

Risk from rabbits is very, very low. But do you really want to risk it?

Rabies jab will not give you 100% protection, just more resistance to help the real treatment if you get Rabies.  Main concern should be 'has your rabbit got rabies?'

if he has, your chances of dying are high.  if the rabbit is OK so will you be.

Just treat the wouln in the usual way, clean and keep clean, possible antibiotics if an infection develops.

Take more care when with your rabbits, they have very sharp teeth.

I would have thought that the chances of a pet rabbit, kept in a hutch, catching Rabies are very low.

Rabies jabs do not last any time. They just enable you to have a lesser number of shots when you do get bitten by any mammal. You can monitor the rabbit for 2 weeks and if he doesn't get sick or mad, then you're okay. However, if YOU show signs of rabies, then you're dead!