Is The Mae Sai Border Crossing Open?

I have a friend visiting from overseas and I am trying to find out if the border crossing at Mae Sai is open to non Thais.

I am getting conflicting information, does anyone know the current status.

Thanks

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed topic title from posters member name.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The Mae Sai crossing in not open. Myanmar is not allowing foreigners to enter at border crossings.

My understanding is that it is closed in both directions.  Does anyone know why, and if this will change any time soon?

BTW:  I know about the coup, civil war and military dictatorship, but this is the normal state of affairs in Myanmar.  I assume Covid is no longer an issue.  I've heard a rumor that one side wants the other to pay a significant amount of money to open the border, but I don't know if that is true.

Edited by heybruce

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

My understanding is that it is closed in both directions.  Does anyone know why, and if this will change any time soon?

BTW:  I know about the coup, civil war and military dictatorship, but this is the normal state of affairs in Myanmar.  I assume Covid is no longer an issue.  I've heard a rumor that one side wants the other to pay a significant amount of money to open the border, but I don't know if that is true.

Thanks for the update

35 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

You are a naughty boy for that comment. The title was changed because it was inappropriate. 

I don't know what the issue was with the title and don't know what went wrong. 

It did occur once before but no one has pointed out what I am doing wrong. 

I am far from being an IT expert but don't seem to experience issues elsewhere for example using the Australian Newspaper site where I regularly make a comment on articles. 

I will speak to my IT expert friend and perhaps do a dummy run. 

I don't want to incur the wroth of posters or keep standing in the naughty boys corner! 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, heybruce said:

It appears that Myanmar is not doing the day passes (500 baht) that they were doing before. It might be possible if you had a visa for Myanmar.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I don't know what the issue was with the title and don't know what went wrong. 

It did occur once before but no one has pointed out what I am doing wrong. 

The forum tries to be a resource to help those with immigration related issues. Having every individual post their own thread for each issue they encounter is inefficient. Instead, posters are supposed:

1. To search the forum for recent threads that address the problem or question they have.
  2. If they find a thread that is responsive to the subject they are interested in, but they still need clarification, add their post to that thread.
  3. If no existing thread addresses their problems, create a new thread with a subject line that identifies the subject area of interest.

Hopefully, by following these guidelines, we can have one thread on "extensions to visa exempt entries" rather than one for each person who has entered Thailand with a visa exemption.

Unfortunately, there are many, many duplicate threads anyway but, at least if you use a descriptive thread title, others can see whether your thread is potentially of interest without having to open and read every individual thread to see if it covers their issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The forum tries to be a resource to help those with immigration related issues. Having every individual post their own thread for each issue they encounter is inefficient. Instead, posters are supposed:

1. To search the forum for recent threads that address the problem or question they have.
  2. If they find a thread that is responsive to the subject they are interested in, but they still need clarification, add their post to that thread.
  3. If no existing thread addresses their problems, create a new thread with a subject line that identifies the subject area of interest.

Hopefully, by following these guidelines, we can have one thread on "extensions to visa exempt entries" rather than one for each person who has entered Thailand with a visa exemption.

Unfortunately, there are many, many duplicate threads anyway but, at least if you use a descriptive thread title, others can see whether your thread is potentially of interest without having to open and read every individual thread to see if it covers their issue.

Makes for a less weedy forum and more centralized information 

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

There was no thread dealing with current information and if you read my response to another poster I explained what occurred.

Also this site seems to encounter many technical issues so I would only post a new item as a last resort.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

There was no thread dealing with current information and if you read my response to another poster I explained what occurred.

Also this site seems to encounter many technical issues so I would only post a new item as a last resort.

You asked what was wrong with a thread title of SteveAus (seemingly mystified as to why it was considered unhelpful) and I tried to resolve your confusion. If you took it as some kind of attack, I apologise. It was not intended as such.

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

You asked what was wrong with a thread title of SteveAus (seemingly mystified as to why it was considered unhelpful) and I tried to resolve your confusion. If you took it as some kind of attack, I apologise. It was not intended as such.

That's fine I wasn't aware it had appeared with that title, as I said in response to another poster problems that I don't encounter elsewhere seem to happen when I use this site. 

Maybe I am missing something but after all these years cannot think why it is happening now. 

On 10/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, lordblackader said:

If you need to do a border run, go to Chiang Khong instead - the Laos border is open. There are vans doing the run and Green Bus also has a service from Chiang Mai. 

True enough....I'll  most likely be heading there later this month. Just a longer, more expensive, trip. Of course, at that point, I might have to hang my hat in Luang Prabang for a spell or thrice.

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

True enough....I'll  most likely be heading there later this month. Just a longer, more expensive, trip. Of course, at that point, I might have to hang my hat in Luang Prabang for a spell or thrice.

I can think of worse places to hang your hat, unless things have changed a relaxing place with good food and friendly people.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I can think of worse places to hang your hat, unless things have changed a relaxing place with good food and friendly people.

Very close to being ruined. The train from China is ready and waiting. Only China hasn't opened the border, yet, as far as I know. But the train already runs from Vientiane to the Chinese border and the whole line is functional through to...Kunming I think it is? Once it opens, "relaxing place" is but a memory. That's just the way it is.

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

Very close to being ruined. The train from China is ready and waiting. Only China hasn't opened the border, yet, as far as I know. But the train already runs from Vientiane to the Chinese border and the whole line is functional through to...Kunming I think it is? Once it opens, "relaxing place" is but a memory. That's just the way it is.

Very sad but have good memories will add it to the list of other places around the world that have been ruined.

• Like 1