Homes face winter power cuts in worst-case scenario, says National Grid

Scott

Electrical Transmission Towers (Electricity Pylons) Stock Picture

British households could lose power for up to three hours at a time this winter if gas supplies run extremely low, National Grid has warned.

The company said it was an "unlikely" scenario but added that supply interruptions were a possibility if the energy crisis escalated.

Cuts would probably occur at peak times and customers would be warned in advance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63155827

BBC.jpg

From the article:

It [National Grid] will also launch a scheme from 1 November which incentivises businesses and households to reduce their electricity use at key times:

Are National Grid referring to the electricity millions of people in the UK can’t afford to use?

With the increase in prices this year I suspect per capita electricity use to be very much lower through the coming winter than it was the last.

• Like 2

Just keeps getting better under the truss regime…another u turn on an ill conceived promise on the horizon. 

“Asked on a visit to Prague on Thursday about the guarantee she made during her leadership campaign that there would be no electricity blackouts this winter, Liz Truss said: “We do have a good supply of energy in the UK, we’re in a much better position than many other countries, but of course there’s always more we can do, and that’s why I’m here working with our partners, making sure we do have a secure energy supply into the future.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/06/uk-power-cut-warning-prompts-fear-for-people-using-life-saving-machines?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
Typo-ill keeps coming up as I’ll
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually possible though ( if they opened the pits ). I rented a room in a north London house that still had coal in the basement ( and the hole the coal man dumped it down ), and fireplaces. It would not have been the only one either.

Was that before or after they got rid of the smog?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think electricity shortages a problem that can be blamed on Truss.

I'd blame it on those who demanded 'green power' and closing 'nuke plants'.

With a bit of blame on those whom demand war with Russia.

Those people need someone to blame to distract from their errors, and Truss is a convenient scapegoat.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think electricity shortages a problem that can be blamed on Truss.

I'd blame it on those who demanded 'green power' and closing 'nuke plants'.

With a bit of blame on those whom demand war with Russia.

“Jess Ralston, a senior analyst at the Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit, said: “We didn’t need to be here. Had investment in energy efficiency and onshore wind gone ahead over the past few years, we’d be much more certain about meeting demand. Every spin of a wind turbine and loft lagged means less gas we need to try to buy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/06/uk-power-cut-warning-prompts-fear-for-people-using-life-saving-machines?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

“Jess Ralston, a senior analyst at the Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit, said: “We didn’t need to be here. Had investment in energy efficiency and onshore wind gone ahead over the past few years, we’d be much more certain about meeting demand. Every spin of a wind turbine and loft lagged means less gas we need to try to buy.”

Let's not forget the Russian invaders, eh.....????

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Let's not forget the Russian invaders, eh.....????

Irrelevant.

The quote there is stating there would less uncertainty over energy supplies and less need to rely so much on imported gas if proper investment in renewable sources had been made. 

And let’s not forget truss guaranteed no power cuts well after the Russian war of aggression and the consequences of gas supply disruption was well know. 

Yet truss made an ill conceived promise. 

U turn up ahead…

Edited by Bluespunk
Grammar and more detail added
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Irrelevant.

The quote there is stating there would less uncertainty over energy supplies and less need to rely so much on imported gas if proper investment in renewable sources had been made. 

And let’s not forget Truss guaranteed no power cuts well after the Russian war of aggression and the consequences of gas supply disruption was well know. 

Yet Truss made an ill conceived promise. 

U turn up ahead…

When was/is the first power cut...........?  ????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

When was/is the first power cut...........?  ????

Read the OP and get on point with this thread…and let’s not forget I have not said there will or has been a power cut. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Read the OP and get on point with this thread…

I am asking you, when was/is the first power cut, you seem to be blaming and quoting Liz Truss when nothing has happened yet, just an article from the rag you quote near every post...

Now answer my question, when is or was the first power cut......... ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

Unfortunately yes they will. The so called government listens to these woke morons who understand nothing. Pity we only have self serving idiots in the government.

Who are the "woke morons"...? ????

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Quote where I said there will be power cuts. 

I think there will almost certainly be power cuts.

Not only in the UK, but across Europe and the USA as well.

It's the only way the 'renewable energy' movement can end.

Texas was just the first of many electricity failing events to come.

And would have been likely even without the foolish war on Russia.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think there will almost certainly be power cuts.

Not only in the UK, but across Europe and the USA as well.

It's the only way the 'renewable energy' movement can end.

Texas was just the first of many electricity failing events to come.

And would have been likely even without the foolish war on Russia.

Guess we disagree on renewable energy.

As far as I am concerned it is the future. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Solar and wind provide something like 4% of the requirement. What will happen if everyone, as unlikely as it is, changes to EV's? We cant provide the basic requirements, with EV's there will be a total blackout. 

I always thought that EVs was a sneaky way for the governments to clear the roads of all the poor people, so the rich would have an easier drive.

Solar provides around 75% of my household energy in Thailand.

Obviously that wouldn't work in the UK.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1