Big C now requiring passport proof of identity for credit card use from farang shoppers?

elena edwards

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

cards are much quicker and convenient than cash ,

They might be more convenient for the cardholder but not faster. You're deluded.

Let's say the time it takes to hand over and return the card is equal to that of cash. Then the CASHier has to put the card in the machine, wait till it is accepted or not where the broke person offers another card... wait for that. 30 seconds for processing and then the fumbling to sign the thing. It's not even close.

Real men use cash

Who might want to know? Could be anyone.

5 minutes ago, BonMot said:

They might be more convenient for the cardholder but not faster. You're deluded.

Let's say the time it takes to hand over and return the card is equal to that of cash. Then the CASHier has to put the card in the machine, wait till it is accepted or not where the broke person offers another card... wait for that. 30 seconds for processing and then the fumbling to sign the thing. It's not even close.

Real men use cash

Who might want to know? Could be anyone.

Hmmm....  Sorry to break it to you boomer... cash is no faster than paying with QR code or Credit Card.....  the transactions take a similar amount of time... 

IF paying by credit card takes YOU so long, thats your issue... You’ll probably be equally as slow finding the cash in your wallet then waiting for change. 

iF paying by QR code takes YOU so long, again thats your issue... You need to get up to date with technology. 

Payment via NFC is instant... and quicker than anything else - it doesn’t surprise me if you don’t know what that is. 

'Real men use cash' ???  :cheesy: ..... haha.... real men don’t make such ridiculous claims !!! :giggle:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Payment with a QR code is also as quick and simple as paying with cash. 

I agree it should be but unfortunately a number of recent experiences in the supposedly "Express" checkout lane of my local Big C Extra (where a sign says Cash Only.....) would refute that observation. ????

For the record I pretty much used a card exclusively for supermarket shopping in the UK but here I use only cash.

1 minute ago, topt said:

I agree it should be but unfortunately a number of recent experiences in the supposedly "Express" checkout lane of my local Big C Extra (where a sign says Cash Only.....) would refute that observation. ????

For the record I pretty much used a card exclusively for supermarket shopping in the UK but here I use only cash.

Much of my point. Exactly as I'd described.

Then there's the checking of statements and concern over theft and fraud. A solution in search of a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are totally lost... What Mac has described happens in Thailand... 

Plenty of Tops Supermarkets around with self-check out. 

All points of sale accept credit-card and QR payment. 

Many PoS take ’Tap and Go'

Many Take Google Pay /. ApplePay (and that is growing). 

Rabbit Pay has been around for a While. 

Cash... A growing number are no longer accepting cash. 

Go to a supermarket and there are ‘card only’ checkouts.

Who is ’somewhat lost’ ??....  You are, you’re lost in the wrong entry BonMot... Thailand has moved on and is continuing to do so. 

So, you point to one big city supermarket that your card works sometimes. I don't shop at tops. Great. This is far from a universal truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BonMot said:

You are somewhat lost. This is a Thai forum. What occurs outside the borders of Thailand is largely irrelevant.

Moreover, your argument about what you purchase, when, where is far more relevant in UK than Thailand. I understand you might not care but that hardly negates those that sell, use and track your whereabouts.

Who is tracking my whereabouts ?

Who is buying and selling that data and what are they doing with that info ?

Who cares about what time I buy lunch and where from ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Each to our own, but lets make sure we are thinking of this from a balanced perspective.

Do you have a Thai issued credit card to pay with ???

I pretty much use cards exclusively here and the UK... But I use my Thai CC here and my UK CC in the UK. 

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Who is tracking my whereabouts ?

Who is buying and selling that data and what are they doing with that info ?

Who cares about what time I buy lunch and where from ?

I understand YOU might not have a concern in regard to YOUR loss of privacy but I certainly do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2011/01/26/is-the-government-tracking-your-credit-card-purchases/?sh=53a557006701

Not to mention you're wrapped up in credit reporting agencies as well.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No - but I am not sure that even if I had that I would use it.

My personal choice and the reasons are not relevant to this thread in case anybody was going to ask. :wai:

5 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Much of my point. Exactly as I'd described.

Then there's the checking of statements and concern over theft and fraud. A solution in search of a problem.

You have concerns over theft and fraud, but never about loosing your wallet ?

I think perhaps you are being selective in your pro’s and con’s.

IF my wallet is stolen or I loose it - I loose the cash. 

What about ’skimming at an ATM’ - never worried about that ?

I am protected from any fraudulent activity on my cards. 

QR payment is as secure as the user - i.e. I could thumb in the wrong amount by mistake, although usually the amount is automatic from the QR receipt. 

Tap n go also presents a risk of theft which is why we should place our cards in an RIFD / NFC blocking wallet (which many are these days). 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BonMot said:

I understand YOU might not have a concern in regard to YOUR loss of privacy but I certainly do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2011/01/26/is-the-government-tracking-your-credit-card-purchases/?sh=53a557006701

Not to mention you're wrapped up in credit reporting agencies as well.

You walk around with cash in your pocket because you don't want to leave any trace of your purchase ?

Only secret agents like James Bond need to do that .

My bank card isn't connected to any outside agencies and I do not receive any correspondence or offers or mail or any  dialogue at all with anyone , no letters , no phone calls, no E-mails , nothing at all 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, topt said:
36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No - but I am not sure that even if I had that I would use it.

My personal choice and the reasons are not relevant to this thread in case anybody was going to ask. :wai:

Fair enough - but you made it relevant when you stated that you pay with credit cards all the time in the UK but don’t in Thailand...

The reality is you don’t have a Thai Credit card making your statement moot because your comparison is not presented on a even playing field... 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
5 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Please explain what you are doing in the UK has to do with BIG C in CM asking for passports!

Please go and start another topic about cashless transactions etc and let this forum get back on topic!

PS;  HINT  It is about Chiang Mai  NOT UK

Expand  

We had moved the discussion on to what is the best method of payment , cash or card .

I was stating how progressive it is in the UK with card payments and Thailand will likely catch up within a few years 

Thailand already is extremely progressive.... QR payment here is extremely convenient and pretty much every point of sale apart from wet-markets and beer-bars !!

Credit Card payment is everywhere and extremely convenient, although many places still want to charge 3% which is somewhat irritating (I like to use my CC and get the points). 

Apple Pay and Google Pay have not really evolved here - so Thailand is somewhat behind the times with that... but when it does, it will be extremely convent to just ’swipe’ your phone or watch over an NFC Payment machine, click yes and there you have it.. paid... 

Cash is king ?????.....   No... Cash is out-dated.

And for the ’tin-foil-hatters’ who worry about being tracked - At some point soon we may be able to pay in crypto via NFC and no one can trace it. 

• Haha 1

Cash QR CC…to each their own. Why argue over something so menial since it’s a personal preference, I don’t get it and who cares about other personal preferences anyway?

Back to the BigC cashier flipping through the password/passport thing?

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

I don't care who has moved what discussion unless you move it to a new forum.

The title is about Big C now requiring passports. 

Go away and start a new forum.

Discussions evolve... They always have and always do...  

You are free to continue discussing the point that Big-C wanted to see a Passport, but that issue has already been explained - It was simply a Proof of ID for a ‘points’ thing rather than requiring a Passport to use a Credit Card - Op didn’t explain clearly and misunderstood... 

The discussion of course evolved to ‘Why use a Credit Card to pay in a Supermarket, why no use Cash’ which is a very very close point to the Op itself... 

So... to use your words... ‘go away and read a new thread’ !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, novacova said:

Cash QR CC…to each their own. Why argue over something so menial since it’s a personal preference, I don’t get it and who cares about other personal preferences anyway?

Back to the BigC cashier flipping through the password/passport thing?

Its actually a very interesting point... 

Why some don’t want to use credit cards, they are scare of fraud or their purchases being somehow tracked and logged ? - do the same people carry the same fear with online purchases on Amazon or Lazada ?

Why do some not want to pay with QR codes ?..... is it really slower, quicker ? I don’t think there is much difference at all, but some people clearly do...  why do they think that? they see someone using QR payment, its different and the change somehow upsets them such that they develop some distorted bias ?

Is cash really better ??? 

---------

I can go a whole month in Bangkok and only use tiny amounts of cash...  For flag-fall Taxi’s and to pay the 10b or 20b to take the shortcut through the nearby moo-baan....    perhaps cash at a bar etc..

In any month perhaps 10% of my spend is cash these days... its just interesting how experiences differ...

Its more interesting how some people a really fearful of digital payment. Even more interesting how they’ll justify not using it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You walk around with cash in your pocket because you don't want to leave any trace of your purchase ?

Only secret agents like James Bond need to do that .

My bank card isn't connected to any outside agencies and I do not receive any correspondence or offers or mail or any  dialogue at all with anyone , no letters , no phone calls, no E-mails , nothing at all 

I do but that's because I use the loyalty card too. The supermarket computers send me emails giving me offers relating to past purchases, telling me what's on special and targeting it to things I use, the odd free product. It is possible they sell my information so the powers that be know I prefer Shredded Wheat to Weet Bix but I can live with that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its actually a very interesting point... 

Why some don’t want to use credit cards, they are scare of fraud or their purchases being somehow tracked and logged ? - do the same people carry the same fear with online purchases on Amazon or Lazada ?

Why do some not want to pay with QR codes ?..... is it really slower, quicker ? I don’t think there is much difference at all, but some people clearly do...  why do they think that? they see someone using QR payment, its different and the change somehow upsets them such that they develop some distorted bias ?

Is cash really better ??? 

---------

I can go a whole month in Bangkok and only use tiny amounts of cash...  For flag-fall Taxi’s and to pay the 10b or 20b to take the shortcut through the nearby moo-baan....    perhaps cash at a bar etc..

In any month perhaps 10% of my spend is cash these days... its just interesting how experiences differ...

Its more interesting how some people a really fearful of digital payment. Even more interesting how they’ll justify not using it. 

They think that the C.I.A and the Men in Black are all sat in the Pentagon watching their every move , along with credit card companies and the Inland revenue and as soon as he mays a purchase with a card, it flashed up on the screen for them all to see and use 

"Rob from Michigan has just bought a  pizza from Tops in Pattaya , it cost 350 Baht and he bought it at 7.55 PM , we have him on CCTV now and he's walking home , wait, hes just stopped off in 7/11 and we will transfer over to 7/11's instore CCTV to see what else he buys"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is so much easier without cash .

Just hold you plastic card against a reader, wait a few seconds for a beep and that's it , transaction carried out .

No need to carry cash around these days 

Nope I always get behind the person doing that no matter which queue I get in in and they never get it right. Don't think it's always the same person so I guess it's just part of the plastic plague.

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

Nope I always get behind the person doing that no matter which queue I get in in and they never get it right. Don't think it's always the same person so I guess it's just part of the plastic plague.

On the card reader screen , a target appears , you just place the target on your ATM card against the target on the screen ..

Not much can go wrong 

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

You are somewhat lost. This is a Thai forum. What occurs outside the borders of Thailand is largely irrelevant.

You're the lost one, try clicking on "Forums" and see how much there is here completely unrelated to Thailand.  AN is not a "Thai" forum, it's an English-language forum called Asean Now, based in Thailand with sub-forums covering the world.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand already is extremely progressive.... QR payment here is extremely convenient and pretty much every point of sale apart from wet-markets and beer-bars !!

Credit Card payment is everywhere and extremely convenient, although many places still want to charge 3% which is somewhat irritating (I like to use my CC and get the points). 

Apple Pay and Google Pay have not really evolved here - so Thailand is somewhat behind the times with that... but when it does, it will be extremely convent to just ’swipe’ your phone or watch over an NFC Payment machine, click yes and there you have it.. paid... 

Cash is king ?????.....   No... Cash is out-dated.

And for the ’tin-foil-hatters’ who worry about being tracked - At some point soon we may be able to pay in crypto via NFC and no one can trace it. 

What has your post got do with the requirement, or otherwise, for a passport to be shown to use a credit card in a BIG C in CM?
Why do people keep high Jaking threads/forums to discuss other subjects?

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough - but you made it relevant when you stated that you pay with credit cards all the time in the UK but don’t in Thailand...

The reality is you don’t have a Thai Credit card making your statement moot because your comparison is not presented on a even playing field... 

The reality is that you made a statement about QR codes being quicker than cash or similar which I agreed with in principal but which I have empirically found on a number of recent occasions to be incorrect.

I added a rider about my own use for reference and to say that in Thailand I used cash partly because earlier you were also suggesting something  strange about people who used cash (I can't be ar**ed to go back and check your specific statements) 

So my Statement is hardly "moot" as you put it.  :annoyed:

Edited by topt
typo
  • Like 1