Big C now requiring passport proof of identity for credit card use from farang shoppers?

elena edwards

53 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I do but that's because I use the loyalty card too. 

I used to buy the meal deal from various different shops .

Now if you buy the  meal deal you get a discount if you have a loyalty card , as I don't have a loyalty card , I no longer buy the meal deals , not fair that I cannot get a 50 p discount 

12 minutes ago, topt said:

The reality is that you made a statement about QR codes being quicker than cash or similar which I agreed with in principal but which I have empirically found on a number of recent occasions to be incorrect.

Sometimes the person in front paying with the QR code is slower. 

They let the cashier ring up all their items... Then they get their phone out, then take of their mask for face recognition to open the phone, then search through their phone looking for the Bank App, then open the App, the do face recognition again, then select QR Payment, then take 5 attempts to scan because they are only lined up with half the image...  then finally scan, bingo... 

But, that same type of person is the one who never has their wallet ready until all the times have been rung up and they are then given the amount... they dig around for cash etc...  then faf about as they are receiving change....   they are slower than the efficient people with QR codes / credit cards. 

So... swings and roundabouts - but, an efficient person using a Credit Card or QR code is just as quick as an efficient person using cash..... And the Tap ’n Go is quicker than them all by far !!!... 

I added a rider about my own use for reference and to say that in Thailand I used cash partly because earlier you were also suggesting something  strange about people who used cash (I can't be ar**ed to go back and check your specific statements) 

Each to their own....   I think I implied that there is something strange about people who try so hard to justify using cash above all else and dig up some quite irrational excuses....  

.... and then there’s the cash is quicker argument used a lot by people who for some reason just don’t like digital payment when its a false claim... cash is not quicker at all when comparing like for like. 

So my Statement is hardly "moot" as you put it.  :annoyed:

You stated that you use CC’s in the UK supermarkets but not in Thailand...  whatever your implication was the point was moot because you don’t have a Thai Credit Card so you are not offering a like for like comparison between credit card use in the UK and credit card use in Thailand - you don’t want to use your UK card in Thailand because it would be more expensive to do so than paying cash. A sensible choice, but not a sensible argument to present as a comparison between using CC’s in Thailand and the UK. 

On 10/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, VinnieK said:

Cold, hard cash.

Shudder to think ,in case of  hacking or other scam, I will have to deal with a thai bank. ????????????

Me too. Cash almost always works.

If not I simply say sorry and shop elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you in a foul mood ? you are being confrontational and abusive left right and centre .

Maybe you need to go out for a walk or something ?

My bank/card origin has nothing to do with ID requirements at Big C in CM and therefore your post/question was irrelevant and got the response from me it deserved!

If anyone is confrontational it is you making posts that have nothing to do with the OP!

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

My bank/card origin has nothing to do with ID requirements at Big C in CM and therefore your post/question was irrelevant and got the response from me it deserved!

If anyone is confrontational it is you making posts that have nothing to do with the OP!

Just subtlety pointing out that it was you yourself that first mentioned UK ATM cards and then you told everyone else to stop mentioning them .

You bought the subject up and then complained because I continues mentioning them .

So, I didn't actually want to know which bank you use , just pointing out who it was that changed the subject 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but not a sensible argument to present as a comparison between using CC’s in Thailand and the UK. 

You don't stop do you.

I wasn't trying to present any comparison - or did you miss the bit about me not wanting to discuss my reasons. 

The reference was to show that I have used a cc extensively elsewhere but choose to use cash here. End of. 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

you yourself that first mentioned UK ATM cards

ATM cards!

Where did I mention them.

The OP commented about Credit Card at Big C and it is regarding them that I have responded. 

I think you are the one who needs to go for a walk, not me!

33 minutes ago, DezLez said:

What has your post got do with the requirement, or otherwise, for a passport to be shown to use a credit card in a BIG C in CM?
Why do people keep high Jaking threads/forums to discuss other subjects?

Hilarious... You are questioning why means of digital payment vs cash are being discussed on a thread about using a credit cards ????? 

So... according to you DezLez... We are only allowed to discuss Big-C requiring a Passport for Credit Card use....    but no permitted to discuss credit card payment itself ?

Thats kind of out there on the nutcase spectrum and seriously lacks the understanding and compression of what a discussion is, how they evolve and what a discussion forum is actually about... 

Its not as if we started discussion the pro’s of flying vs taking a motorcycle !!!.... 

2 minutes ago, topt said:
12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but not a sensible argument to present as a comparison between using CC’s in Thailand and the UK. 

You don't stop do you.

I wasn't trying to present any comparison - or did you miss the bit about me not wanting to discuss my reasons. 

The reference was to show that I have used a cc extensively elsewhere but choose to use cash here. End of. 

Because you don’t have a Thai CC - thats why you don’t use one here... 

....  Agreed. End of.... 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DezLez said:
33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why the insulting, personal attack on an accurate and rational comment?

It was neither rational or accurate and certainly not germane!

It was rational, accurate and germane to your comment.  It was also pertinent, felicitous and ad rem.

Thank you for deleting your insulting, personal attack on my post...oh, hang on, it wasn't you who deleted it, it was a real Mod.

Just now, DezLez said:
2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We are only allowed to discuss Big-C requiring a Passport for Credit Card use...

Yes!

the ‘Forum rules according wannabe moderator DezLes’ !!!... :cheesy:

.... now, who’s more off topic ?? the ongoing discussion of credit cards vs cash and other forms of payments in outlets in Thailand, including supermarkets such as Big-C..... 

OR... you telling us what we can and can’t discuss ???? :whistling:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Not long before they will want ID for cash acceptance too. Then no cash transactions. Great Reset anyone?

In London, more places will no longer accept cash.

But we are not in London or elsewhere but in Thailand, where IMHO, especially in rural Thailand, in markets, wet markets, small shops and even 7/11 they will always take cash. Even BigC, Makro, Global House welcome cash and don't bother about ID checks and CC.

Perhaps if you are paying in excess of 100,000> thb cash they may want to see some ID.

Go to a noodle stall and try to pay in bitcoin for 40 or 50 thb and see how far that gets you.

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

They might be more convenient for the cardholder but not faster. You're deluded.

Let's say the time it takes to hand over and return the card is equal to that of cash. Then the CASHier has to put the card in the machine, wait till it is accepted or not where the broke person offers another card... wait for that. 30 seconds for processing and then the fumbling to sign the thing. It's not even close.

Real men use cash

Who might want to know? Could be anyone.

A few years ago I was working in NZ and the lady in front of me wanted to pay by CC  or debit card for her groceries. She went through seven, yes 7 cards to get enough for about NZD$40.

I paid in cash and got a thank you and a smile.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because you don’t have a Thai CC - thats why you don’t use one here... 

....  Agreed. End of.... 

How do you get a Thai CC?

AFAIR you put in the maximum account that you think that you will need into a separate account at the bank and then you will probably get a Thai CC.

Again AFAIR when you close and return your CC, you then wait a further 3 months depending on the bank, before you get the balance of your money back.

The bank then has the use of your money less what you use by using your CC.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its actually a very interesting point... 

Why some don’t want to use credit cards, they are scare of fraud or their purchases being somehow tracked and logged ? - do the same people carry the same fear with online purchases on Amazon or Lazada ?

Why do some not want to pay with QR codes ?..... is it really slower, quicker ? I don’t think there is much difference at all, but some people clearly do...  why do they think that? they see someone using QR payment, its different and the change somehow upsets them such that they develop some distorted bias ?

Is cash really better ??? 

---------

I can go a whole month in Bangkok and only use tiny amounts of cash...  For flag-fall Taxi’s and to pay the 10b or 20b to take the shortcut through the nearby moo-baan....    perhaps cash at a bar etc..

In any month perhaps 10% of my spend is cash these days... its just interesting how experiences differ...

Its more interesting how some people a really fearful of digital payment. Even more interesting how they’ll justify not using it. 

"Really fearful  of digital payment."

Truly?

Cash has been around since the stone age.

Give the vendor a break and have 32 baht of solid coins, cash, in your pocket when buying munchie fried chicken.

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Finding anywhere in LOS that accept AMEX is as rare as Rocking Horse <deleted> so fair play to BigC. At least, airline mileage/hotel points are credited.

Many establishments accept Amex in LOS. Hotels, restaurants, super markets, tire shops...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Go to a noodle stall and try to pay in bitcoin for 40 or 50 thb and see how far that gets you.

No mention of Bitcoin from me. There is a move in many countries to electronic payments. I was in line at a BTS last month and the guy in front used his phone to pay by QR code. Contactless/NFC payments are commonplace in many countries and will surely gain popularity in Thailand. For me, I like the cash culture that still exists (but how long for) in Thailand. Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDC) will be forced upon many global citizens in the coming years. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

How do you get a Thai CC?

AFAIR you put in the maximum account that you think that you will need into a separate account at the bank and then you will probably get a Thai CC.

Again AFAIR when you close and return your CC, you then wait a further 3 months depending on the bank, before you get the balance of your money back.

The bank then has the use of your money less what you use by using your CC.

I am the second card holder on 3 of my Wife’s credit cards (my name on the card etc) - they work exactly the same.

IMO - this is a far simpler solution than the ’secured credit card’ option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have concerns over theft and fraud, but never about loosing your wallet ?

In my sixty one years I have never lost my wallet - so, based upon past experience .. no.

*Losing

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're the lost one, try clicking on "Forums" and see how much there is here completely unrelated to Thailand.  AN is not a "Thai" forum, it's an English-language forum called Asean Now, based in Thailand with sub-forums covering the world.

Posts are routinely taken down for not being related to Thailand. Ok... It's expanded into the region obviously those subs are ex exceptions as are home forums but it's not for blathering on about you common UK experiences. Obviously... Go find a UK forum. Last time I checked UK is not Thailand nor ASEAN but given the exchange rate I'm sure you might wish that so.

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

"Really fearful  of digital payment."

Truly?

Cash has been around since the stone age.

Give the vendor a break and have 32 baht of solid coins, cash, in your pocket when buying munchie fried chicken.

As the saying goes.. Thailand loves paper. This includes cash money.

Using cash I'm absolutely certain of avoiding fraud, swift transaction and my data, spending habits and personal information are not being sold on.

Hand a card to staff in a pub? Disappear backside? You must all be a bit daft or noob

6 hours ago, BonMot said:

I understand YOU might not have a concern in regard to YOUR loss of privacy but I certainly do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2011/01/26/is-the-government-tracking-your-credit-card-purchases/?sh=53a557006701

Not to mention you're wrapped up in credit reporting agencies as well.

This is a Thai forum, why are you posting links about the C.I.A in the USA ?

The link that you posted has nothing to do with Thailand 

3 minutes ago, BonMot said:

In my sixty one years I have never lost my wallet - so, based upon past experience .. no.

*Losing

You could tomorrow...  you don’t know that and if you did you’d likely lose the cash in it.

Of course thats not justification to go ‘cashless’...  the point is to show that everything comes with risk...  card skimming at ATM’s is another risk with cash... 

I’m not anti-cash at all by the way... I’m just anti anti-cashless if that makes sense... 

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

This is a Thai forum, why are you posting links about the C.I.A in the USA ?

The link that you posted has nothing to do with Thailand 

Because it's what can happen to all credit/debit cards. This sort of crime is international.

Yawn

5 minutes ago, BonMot said:

As the saying goes.. Thailand loves paper. This includes cash money.

Using cash I'm absolutely certain of avoiding fraud, swift transaction and my data, spending habits and personal information are not being sold on.

Hand a card to staff in a pub? Disappear backside? You must all be a bit daft or noob

Do you use ‘burner phones’ so you can’t be traced ???

Wear a hat and never look up so the camera’s can’t use face ID ?

Never use social media, right ? - only anonymous media like this forum?

Always use a VPN ?

Never use online or mobile Banking ?

Never use online shopping such as Amazon, Lazada, Shopee ?

Always pay for your full hotel stay in advance and use a cash-deposit (no card) ?

Where is the line drawn on a neurotic ‘cash only’ ideology ???

Just use whatever is the most convenient...  in some cases its cash, in others its a Credit Card, in or paying via QR code, ApplePay or ’Tap n Go’... 

• Like 1