Police chief confirms no traces of drug found in gunman

snoop1130

6B45ACEE-6E71-46ED-ACDA-212A5DA044DD.jpeg

An initial autopsy found no traces of drug in the body of the ex-policeman who went on a shooting spree that killed at least 38 people in the northeastern province of Nong Bua Lam Phu on Thursday, according to the national police chief.

Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas told reporters this afternoon that a second autopsy will be carried out to determine whether Pol Sgt Panya Kamrab was acting under the influence of drug when he went on a rampage at a day-care center in Naklang district.  Among those killed were 24 children, some as young as three years old.

He quoted the result of an autopsy conducted at Udon Thani provincial hospital as confirming that no traces of drug were found in Panya’s body. “The autopsy found no evidence that he had drugs within the 72 hours before the incident,” he said.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/police-chief-confirms-no-traces-of-drug-found-in-gunman/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

According to these guys none of us nailed it. Humbe pie for me, I thought it was a bigger contributor. 
But the stuff I put in BOLD seems like mental health issues.   Interesting read.

"The public tends to link serious mental illnesses, like schizophrenia or psychotic disorders, with violence and mass shootings. But serious mental illness—specifically psychosis—is not a key factor in most mass shootings or other types of mass murder. Approximately 5% of mass shootings are related to severe mental illness. And although a much larger number of mass shootings (about 25%) are associated with non-psychotic psychiatric or neurological illnesses, including depression, and an estimated 23% with substance use, in most cases these conditions are incidental.

Additionally, as we demonstrated in our paper, the contribution of mental illness to mass shootings has decreased over time. The data suggest that while it is critical that we continue to identify those individuals with mental illness and substance use disorders at high risk for violence and prevent the perpetration of violence, other risk factors, such as a history of legal problems, challenges coping with severe and acute life stressors, and the epidemic of the combination of nihilism, emptiness, anger, and a desire for notoriety among young men, seem a more useful focus for prevention and policy than an emphasis on serious mental illness, which leads to public fear and stigmatization."

link thingy https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/mass-shootings-and-mental-illness-5

• Like 2

“The autopsy found no evidence that he had drugs within the 72 hours before the incident,” 

This makes no sense at all. It suggests 3 days prior he had his bloods analysed. At his autopsy a blood sample would be taken and sent for toxicology for analysis; this test takes 4-6 weeks. I'm suggesting they did a rapid antigen test by saliva or air squeezed from bronchus and obtained a NEG reading, mimicking the reading obtained from a road-side breath testing device.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That surprises me actually.

Is it the way of this particular drug that ones mental state is impacted even when it has not recently been  taken. Like a heroin addict will thieve and lie to get some more?

Is it the way of any drug that it continues to have an effect even when it's not being taken?

Read that sentence again, slowly, and you will have your answer..

For pedants, I suppose poison might qualify if it's a slow-acting poison.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:00 AM, tandor said:

“The autopsy found no evidence that he had drugs within the 72 hours before the incident,” 

This makes no sense at all. It suggests 3 days prior he had his bloods analysed. At his autopsy a blood sample would be taken and sent for toxicology for analysis; this test takes 4-6 weeks. I'm suggesting they did a rapid antigen test by saliva or air squeezed from bronchus and obtained a NEG reading, mimicking the reading obtained from a road-side breath testing device.

Just announced, they're going to do an autopsy on him again.

Why? Are they saying there's doubts the first autopsy wasn't accurate or wasn't performed correctly? 

Nothing ever seems to be done correctly!

Until we get much better quality, more sincere, more ethical  people in snr. positions nothing will change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow, now I'm shocked.

I only lived in ONE city where I had zero Thai male friends.   I do plan on going back there.  This is just next level insane, and a jealous Thai really goes full nutjob.  Knifing kids while not on drugs?  not just one, like 30!!!!

I do have to advise people to consider bigger cities,  I do think they are safer as there are more police who care about the image towards tourists.

Yea, one bad apple does a lot of damage.......................

2 hours ago, tandor said:

No, it means with the test they used he could not have consumed Yaba in the previous 72 hours. Standard test. I have no idea on accuracy.  Blood work for Yaba also would not take long at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, marcusb said:

No, it means with the test they used he could not have consumed Yaba in the previous 72 hours. Standard test. I have no idea on accuracy.  Blood work for Yaba also would not take long at all. 

I cannot accept that it would take 6 weeks  ( is that as a result of a queuing system ?) nor that the presence of methamphetamine could be accurately detected by a breath test as he suggested Surely the result of a blood test would be almost instantaneous

• Like 2

16 hours ago, marcusb said:

No drugs for at least 3 days. So he was a regular wacko.  Possibly a wacko all his life and the yaba made the condition worse.   But he wasn't on a drug fuelled rampage. He was on a mental wacko rampage. Nobody likes to talk about mental health as much as gun control, drug control, alcohol control.  Serious mental health problems are overlooked here and also back home.

America will not talk about it because it's expensive. cheaper to sacrifice a few brown kids in Texas.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:00 AM, tandor said:

Are you a forensic scientist?

If not, I'd prefer to listen to the experts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas told reporters this afternoon that a second autopsy will be carried out to determine whether Pol Sgt Panya Kamrab was acting under the influence of drug when he went on a rampage at a day-care center in Naklang district.  Among those killed were 24 children, some as young as three years old.

A second autopsy?

????

36 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

wow, now I'm shocked.

I only lived in ONE city where I had zero Thai male friends.   I do plan on going back there.  This is just next level insane, and a jealous Thai really goes full nutjob.  Knifing kids while not on drugs?  not just one, like 30!!!!

I do have to advise people to consider bigger cities,  I do think they are safer as there are more police who care about the image towards tourists.

Yea, one bad apple does a lot of damage.......................

What are you talking about?

Was this guy jealous?

Are you judging all Thai people based on this one guy?

You don't live in Thailand yet are advising us to live in big cities, although we are not tourists?

6 minutes ago, malibukid said:

America will not talk about it because it's expensive. cheaper to sacrifice a few brown kids in Texas.

Not sure what America has to do with it but they certainly have a much larger percentage of the population on psychiatric medicine. 

All this talk of psychological examinations   I wouldn't trust a word those shrinks say. As a shining example many dangerous people have been released early from prison in the UK following such appraisals only to offend again.  Sometimes almost immediately

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure what America has to do with it but they certainly have a much larger percentage of the population on psychiatric medicine. 

And events of this nature are commonplace over there 

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And events of this nature are commonplace over there 

Of course, Thailand is a MUCH safer place, the people are much more balanced psychologically, yet this topic brings out the Thai bashers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How is it better for the BIB?

He had been fired from the police. 

He may have been using while he was on duty before being transferred, He was at court before the incident.  As a former officer his actions reflect poorly on his former commanding officers who were not aware of his drug problem.