Bank “passbook” — need explanation

I am newish to Thailand on a long-stay visa.  I went to 2 banks yesterday to inquire about opening an account.  I was offered a “savings” account at both, with a linked debit card.  All that part was familiar to me…..but then they discussed this concept of a “passbook.”  I am a bit confused on the “passbook.”  Couple of questions:

1) The opening cash deposit gets physically printed as the starting line in the “passbook,” correct?  That is basically the first entry?

2) Then…life goes on…and you go and make a bunch of debit card transactions, withdraw some money at the ATM, etc., etc. Those are obviously subtractions.  But do those somehow get printed in the “passbook”?  Are you required to bring the book into the bank periodically to have all these line items printed in it?

12 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

Are you required to bring the book into the bank periodically to have all these line items printed in it?

On some occasions you have to bring that book to the bank, i.e. if you need a new ATM card or something like that.

As far as I know you never have to update that book. I didn't do this for over a year, no problem.

But if you want to have a record of all transactions in print then you should update it at least every 3 months. Because if you do it later than 3 months then there will be just a total for the previous months and not line by line all the details.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most bank branches have update machines like ATM's, some are multi-function machines, that is they can do deposits and book updates as well as ATM withdrawals, some are single purpose, at least where I am that is what is available.

Of course updates in the book can also be done by tellers inside the bank.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As said my 2 accounts with  Bkk bk and 2 books the only book I update is the one with 1 year extension money to show immigration.

When you are updating the 'Immigration' book, why not do the other as well? 

Thanks to all for the replies.  So..it sounds like my book will just have a “starting deposit” in it and then I can put it away in a suitcase or whatever.  I will just use the mobile banking app to see my balance and transactions.  But to be clear, I DO need to keep the “passbook,” correct?  I cannot simply throw it out?  It is an important document from the bank’s perspective and I may need to present it in-person for account service items (new ATM card, phone number update, etc.). Is that right?

Edited by ASEANTraveler
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

On some occasions you have to bring that book to the bank, i.e. if you need a new ATM card or something like that.

As far as I know you never have to update that book. I didn't do this for over a year, no problem.

But if you want to have a record of all transactions in print then you should update it at least every 3 months. Because if you do it later than 3 months then there will be just a total for the previous months and not line by line all the details.

This is particularly important if it is an account used for a monthly transfer for Immigration. If it is left for over a month, or a certain number of transactions, a consolidated entry is made and you cannot see which is your monthly foreign transfer.

Best to do it once a month, just after your transfer has arrived so there can be no questions asked at IO.

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This is particularly important if it is an account used for a monthly transfer for Immigration. If it is left for over a month, or a certain number of transactions, a consolidated entry is made and you cannot see which is your monthly foreign transfer.

Best to do it once a month, just after your transfer has arrived so there can be no questions asked at IO.

And not all of us need a bank record for our visa... 

25 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

Thanks to all for the replies.  So..it sounds like my book will just have a “starting deposit” in it and then I can put it away in a suitcase or whatever.  I will just use the mobile banking app to see my balance and transactions.  But to be clear, I DO need to keep the “passbook,” correct?  I cannot simply throw it out?  It is an important document from the bank’s perspective and I may need to present it in-person for account service items (new ATM card, phone number update, etc.). Is that right?

At some point you will probably need the passbook such as if you need a new ATM card or make a transaction at the bank. Don't toss it away, keep it somewhere safe and don't forget where it is.

Great advice and help from everyone with a lot more experience than me!  Appreciate all the replies. I will keep it in a safe place.

5 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

At some point you will probably need the passbook such as if you need a new ATM card or make a transaction at the bank. Don't toss it away, keep it somewhere safe and don't forget where it is.

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And not all of us need a bank record for our visa... 

I did say 'monthly transfer for Immigration' which of course excludes those using money in the bank method. 

But you will still need a bank record when renewing an extension whichever method you use, and an up-to-date bank book could be useful.

58 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

Great advice and help from everyone with a lot more experience than me!  Appreciate all the replies. I will keep it in a safe place.

keep it away from the missis and any family too,  by the six degrees of separation theory they all "know" somebody who works in a bank, anything is possible here, anything at all

A problem is, if a bankbook is full, you need to travel to the same province where the account is to get a new one, if you live not in same province anymore. (or move the account to the province you live).

Even the same bank company is unable to give a new bankbook or ATM Card if your living place is not in the same province as the account.

Ridicilous! ????

46 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I did say 'monthly transfer for Immigration' which of course excludes those using money in the bank method. 

But you will still need a bank record when renewing an extension whichever method you use, and an up-to-date bank book could be useful.

I have my bank account to receive my salary and for convenience. The immigration never ever asked me to see my bank book or any other bank details.

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have my bank account to receive my salary and for convenience. The immigration never ever asked me to see my bank book or any other bank details.

You must be one of the lucky ones. Most guys on here need full bank details, book, statements etc in order to get their Extension. 

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

You must be one of the lucky ones. Most guys on here need full bank details, book, statements etc in order to get their Extension. 

Not sure which office that was but Jomtien would not touch it without the bank letter/statements. 

In fairness the bank book is of little use unless it is updated regularly - if there are consolidated entries you certainly could not identify transactions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not sure which office that was but Jomtien would not touch it without the bank letter/statements. 

In fairness the bank book is of little use unless it is updated regularly - if there are consolidated entries you certainly could not identify transactions.

Jomtien accept passbook and bank letter for 800k method, no need for statements 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Mentors65 said:

A problem is, if a bankbook is full, you need to travel to the same province where the account is to get a new one, if you live not in same province anymore. (or move the account to the province you live).

Even the same bank company is unable to give a new bankbook or ATM Card if your living place is not in the same province as the account.

Ridicilous! ????

I got a new book at the Bkk Bank branch in Lotus's but that is still in the same province where I opened the account. For a replacement ATM card I had to go to the actual branch where my account was opened.

Edited by KannikaP

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So if your 800/400k dropped below, how would Mr IO know, if your passbook was not updated?

if the passbook showed consolidated items i.e. potentially hiding going below 800k\400k presumably they will ask for statements, that's why it's important to update regularly

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

DO NOT throw away passbook. It  is very important if you are on certain types of visa as immigration will require to see it for proof of funds staying in account.

As for updating it. There is normally a machine outside the  bank to update your passbook. Or you can  go in and queue to get it done by staff.

Basically it is just like a savings book. An account of deposits, withdrawals and amount in account.

The bank staff may also use it to verify your signature if doing in bank business. You must have signed the book twice (invisible) when opening the account.