OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK

Scott

Lived just outside of and attended school from the age of 11 onwards  in Liverpool. 

Saw things happen and heard things said that would appear to contradict the view of those who claim the city is free of racism. 

It’s no worse than anywhere else I’ve lived and definitely better than some, but it was no paradise of peace, love and understanding. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Dear Chomper,

I don't subscribe to the Mirror, neither wish to visit articles of aggrieved sensationalism selling a rag, albeit on line. With you having assumed ties to the UK going back to Wigan and a penchant for alternative music, I do respect your views.

However, our viewpoints are poles apart, mine being real-life experiences over six decades of life spent throughout the World..

Always kind regards.

Paul    

Edited by Paul Catton
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Lived just outside of and attended school from the age of 11 onwards  in Liverpool. 

Saw things happen and heard things said that would appear to contradict the view of those who claim the city is free of racism. 

It’s no worse than anywhere else I’ve lived and definitely better than some, but it was no paradise of peace, love and understanding. 

Wondered when you would  jump into the fray.

Crosby, Halewood, Aigburth and back to Waterloo are my areas of familiarization. 

Represents N,S & E of Liverpool. West is the Mersey.

Please refrain from tag-teaming.

Edited by Paul Catton
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Wondered when you would  jump into the fray.

Crosby, Halewood, Aigburth and back to Waterloo are my areas of familiarization. 

Represents N,S & E of Liverpool. West is the Mersey.

Please refrain from tag-teaming.

I’ll comment when and where I choose, especially when you are creating some misty eyed dewy nirvana fantasy land to support an argument I feel is flawed. 

Liverpool is a great city and I had good times there with good friends. I continue to support the Reds with a passion I exhibit for very little else, but it is not free of the cancerous influences of racism. 

Edit

No one is tag teaming you, don’t flatter yourself to think anyone would be bothered enough to do so. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Rebuttal of false assertion
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do not hide behind anonymity.

My personal details can be found under a "Google Search" (bank account excluded).

We have funded from both Opal and my wages, a men's refuge and opened up our home for males  who were subject to abuse from domestic violence. 

Have no time really for rhetoric. by side liners.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’ll comment when and where I choose, especially when you are creating some misty eyed dewy nirvana fantasy land to support an argument I feel is flawed. 

Liverpool is a great city and I had good times there with good friends. I continue to support the Reds with a passion I exhibit for very little else, but it is not free of the cancerous influences of racism. 

Edit

No one is tag teaming you, don’t flatter yourself to think anyone would be bothered enough to do so. 

Never flatter myself, Just do the hard yards.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Sure. Good for you. 

Thank you, good Sir.

Hope that you still have blues punk music available, wasn't aware it was actually a "genre".

Likewise, the "genre" of "Northern Soul" for Chomper in Wigan, more than amazing. 

Kia Kaha ((Be Strong)

Kind regards

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

Dear Chomper,

I don't subscribe to the Mirror, neither wish to visit articles of aggrieved sensationalism selling a rag, albeit on line. With you having assumed ties to the UK going back to Wigan and a penchant for alternative music, I do respect your views.

However, our viewpoints are poles apart, mine being real-life experiences over six decades of life spent throughout the World..

Always kind regards.

Paul    

Of course you don’t subscribe to reports that undermine your point of view.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Thank you, good Sir.

Hope that you still have blues punk music available, wasn't aware it was actually a "genre".

Likewise, the "genre" of "Northern Soul" for Chomper in Wigan, more than amazing. 

Kia Kaha ((Be Strong)

Kind regards

Paul

Not sure that I did claim that blues and punk constitutes a genre. 

Though both can be said to have been the voice of those who were not prepared to succumb to the societal norms that others just accepted. 

Bessie Smith in particular resonates to this day, along with son house and jimmy reed, her music is as relevant as ever. Especially when looking at racism in society. 

Edited by Bluespunk

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some people just like to bang the racism drum to keep racism alive , so they can stand in their ivory tower pointing fingers at other people sanctimoniously making untrue accusations . 

They struggle to fins any racism today and they just hark back to 1970's television shows and made up rules (by themselves) trying to convince us all that we are racists .

They need to keep racism alive , otherwise they would have nothing to use to attack others with 

The topic of discussion is:

“OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK”

Implicit in which is a consideration of  historical racism in British society.

• Like 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Of course you don’t subscribe to reports that undermine your point of view.

Naughty, Naughty,  Mr Chomper.

Do you read "Tass" to get the Russian perspective view on the war in Ukraine.

Do you read China News Daily to get the Official " CCP" view of news.

Fox v CNN etc...

My point of view is based upon my perspective and thrust by potentially flawed narrative.

Iraq, Weapons of mass destruction etc.... 

2 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Naughty, Naughty,  Mr Chomper.

Do you read "Tass" to get the Russian perspective view on the war in Ukraine.

Do you read China News Daily to get the Official " CCP" view of news.

Fox v CNN etc...

My point of view is based upon my perspective and thrust by potentially flawed narrative.

Iraq, Weapons of mass destruction etc.... 

The Mirror reported magistrates’ court findings.

I already stated I understand why you don’t want to accept that, now you wander off topic into other parts of the world.

What are we to make of that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure that I did claim that blues and punk constitutes a genre. 

Though both can be said to have been the voice of those who were not prepared to succumb to the societal norms that others just accepted. 

Bessie Smith in particular resonates to this day. 

You have never quoted blues and punk being a genre. I quoted that. Without a space between Blue and spunk most people would assume you relate to sperm from a whale or perhaps similar from Avatar the movie.

Kind regards

Paul

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Mirror reported magistrates’ court findings.

I already stated I understand why you don’t want to accept that, now you wander off topic into other parts of the world.

What are we to make of that?

Really Chomper,

Have to get to my Hobbiton bed,

I have to report for crucial infrastructure work tomorrow.

Will try and dissect your narrow viewpoint, possibly tomorrow or thereafter.

Kind regards

Paul

(Not the Racist, Xenophobic or Racially Discriminatory one).

Disclaimer: Do laugh at Monty Python.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that it has , people seem to be losing their various cultures and all adopting the same one in the U.K. 

What UK culture that ? They don't Integrate unless it's something needed for a financial benefit 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

What UK culture that ? They don't Integrate unless it's something needed for a financial benefit 

You mean like their kids acing their school work, winning places at the top universities, acing their studies and landing well paid jobs across all sectors of business?

27 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You mean like their kids acing their school work, winning places at the top universities, acing their studies and landing well paid jobs across all sectors of business?

How would they achieve all this in a racist and xenophobic country? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

By out working the host population.

Unless of course you are arguing the host population somehow ‘gifted’ the rewards of hard work to the children of immigrants.

These kids acing their school work, winning places at the top universities, acing their studies and landing well paid jobs across all sectors of business, are these the kids of immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, or only kids from certain parts of Asia?

If it's the latter perhaps you can explain why - without being racist of course. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You asked whether I knew the difference between what two different words meant and I don't know the difference , I kind of expected you to explain the difference 

Why on earth would I do that - peal before swine - I've said all along that you don't understand the basics of this topic. Why not try getting up to speed and find out for yourself.

18 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Why on earth would I do that - peal before swine - I've said all along that you don't understand the basics of this topic. Why not try getting up to speed and find out for yourself.

I thought that they pretty much meant the same thing , that's also what a dictionary thinks , I was hoping for you to state the difference.

I was expecting you to point the difference out 

• Thanks 1