OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK

Scott

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't .

What is the difference ?

I shall answer me own question  :

Difference Between Integration and Assimilation

There are countries with a single culture with a monolithic population. However, in this age of increased cooperation and communication, countries having mixed population with multiple cultures are seen commonly. These countries reflect multiculturalism with a majority culture that is the culture of the majority population whereas immigrants coming over to the country represent minority cultures. There are two distinct ways in which minorities try to look and feel like the majority. These processes are called assimilation and integration. There are many who treat these processes as being similar or even interchangeable. However, there are subtle differences between assimilation and integration that will be highlighted in this article.

Integration

Integration is a two way process where there are cross influences from both the cultures and both change a small bit to accept the minority culture into the majority culture. This is a process that requires acceptance of the laws and ways of the host country by the people of the minority culture without giving up on their own laws and ways. This happens with modification in both the cultures. However, this is possible in a situation where there are no antagonistic feelings between the two cultures and both accommodate the viewpoints of each other in a bid to live harmoniously together. Integration is a process where the minority cultures take something in from the majority culture to become a part of the majority culture retaining their identity.

Assimilation

Assimilation is a process of absorbing minority communities into the ways and views of the majority community in a multicultural society. This is absorption that takes place in a one way direction as the minority communities are required to learn the customs and traditions of the majority community giving up their own or modifying them to become acceptable to the majority community. Assimilation has become a dirty word in some ways as it asks people belonging to a minority culture to give up on some aspects of their culture to adopt the ways of the majority culture to be accepted by the majority community. Thus, assimilation happens to be a process where the ethnic minority loses some of its features and adopts some of the features of the majority to appear like the majority community.

What is the difference between Integration and Assimilation?

• Assimilation is an attempt made by ethnic minorities, to adopt the customs and traditions of the majority community so that they become similar to the majority culture.

• Integration is the process whereby ethnic minorities are absorbed into a majority culture.

• Integration is taking the minorities into the mainstream so that they get access to the same opportunities that are available to the majority community.

• Assimilation is a give and take process as both the majority community, as well as minority communities get affected in the process and both become a part of the larger culture.

• In integration, it is the minority community that tries to look like the majority community by giving up on some aspects of its culture.

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-integration-and-vs-assimilation/

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

These kids acing their school work, winning places at the top universities, acing their studies and landing well paid jobs across all sectors of business, are these the kids of immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, or only kids from certain parts of Asia?

If it's the latter perhaps you can explain why - without being racist of course. 

Why do particularly mention immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, can you explain without being racist of course?

18 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why do particularly mention immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, can you explain without being racist of course?

I mentioned them because I don't think the kids of those immigrants are achieving in the way that you described. I think you were being selective.

Am I wrong? 

27 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I mentioned them because I don't think the kids of those immigrants are achieving in the way that you described. I think you were being selective.

Am I wrong? 

I don't suppose you see the irony in your comment. You are making a subject comment based on a hierarchical view of race, which is the classic viewpoint. You are reinforcing the argument about racism in the UK.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

I don't suppose you see the irony in your comment. You are making a subject comment based on a hierarchical view of race, which is the classic viewpoint. You are reinforcing the argument about racism in the UK.

And you are living in denial

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Am I wrong? 

The subject is Black kids and their behaviour , lets not speak in code

Yes, there are some troublesome Black kids/teenagers in the UK , just as there are troublesome White kids and also Asian kids.

Could even be suggested that Black kids became violent and using knives and weapons after being sought out and attacked by White kids in the 1960's /70's ?

Beating up Black and Asian kids in the 1960's kind of stopped when they began fighting back  

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A video about when Bob Marley first went to the U.K as an unknow singer in the 1970's and its quite relevant to this thread ....................and an interesting video 

Hmm, so that now constitutes proof for you…let me show more in-depth evidence. 

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/oct/18/judiciary-in-england-and-wales-institutionally-racist-says-report?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A video about when Bob Marley first went to the U.K as an unknow singer in the 1970's and its quite relevant to this thread ....................and an interesting video 

The video above shows how racism was rife in the U.K in the 1970s and fits in with the thread title , just in case anyone wondered why I posted the video and  thought about commenting without even watching the video  so, maybe it would be an idea to watch the video first .

All of the polls now show that a clear majority of people in the UK think Brexit was a mistake – mostly around 54% think it was a mistake and 32% think it was a good idea and the ret just don’t know (or can’t bring themselves to admit it) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

All of the polls now show that a clear majority of people in the UK think Brexit was a mistake – mostly around 54% think it was a mistake and 32% think it was a good idea and the ret just don’t know (or can’t bring themselves to admit it) 

As you keep spamming numerous threads with off topic posts , I am going to have to block you 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
Done
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

What the <deleted> has that got to do with the topic?

:offtopic:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The video above shows how racism was rife in the U.K in the 1970s and fits in with the thread title , just in case anyone wondered why I posted the video and  thought about commenting without even watching the video  so, maybe it would be an idea to watch the video first .

The thread is also about how racism is rife in the U.K. now…and how that racism was woven into the fabric of the U.K. and it’s institutions. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/13/2022 at 3:33 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

It seems to be a certain group of people who start off every discussion by calling other  people  a racist .

They call other people racists and that person is left trying to convince others that he isn't a racist .

The U.K is a multi racial society and articles like this are just provocative .  

Th U.K addressed the issue of racism, long before the BLM people used racism to promote themselves 

It is perhaps the current equivalent of the Salem witch trials in America in 1692, or the McCarthy hearings of the early 1950s.

No need for proof or reasoned arguments, no defence is considered - to be considered guilty it is enough to be accused!

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is perhaps the current equivalent of the Salem witch trials in America in 1692, or the McCarthy hearings of the early 1950s.

No need for proof or reasoned arguments, no defence is considered - to be considered guilty it is enough to be accused!

Perhaps it’s because racism is alive and well in the UK, not something that ‘has been dealt with’.

Though I suspect on this forum the ability of members to observe and remember each others  posting history might play a role in determining the views of those making posts on matters in which racism maybe present.

Threads discussing immigrants, asylum seekers, ethic and religious groups are examples, posters who have comments removed that are overtly racist are a clue.

58 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps it’s because racism is alive and well in the UK, not something that ‘has been dealt with’.

Though I suspect on this forum the ability of members to observe and remember each others  posting history might play a role in determining the views of those making posts on matters in which racism maybe present.

Threads discussing immigrants, asylum seekers, ethic and religious groups are examples, posters who have comments removed that are overtly racist are a clue.

Aren't most of us in mixed race marriages, and don't we all have mixed race children?

According to Apple, Netflix, bank advertising everyone in the UK is also in similar circumstances.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Aren't all of us in a mixed race marriages, and don't we all have mixed race children?

According to Apple, Netflix, bank advertising everyone in the UK is also in similar circumstances.

In Australia so many ads have a pretty black curly haired young girl. They appear in much much higher ratios than in the actual population but I think advertisers have decided a pretty black young  curly haired girl ticks all the boxes of inclusion, fun, beauty and desireableness. I don't mind because it's all good and I tape free to air and fast forward the ads. 

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

In Australia so many ads have a pretty black curly haired young girl. They appear in much much higher ratios than in the actual population but I think advertisers have decided a pretty black young  curly haired girl ticks all the boxes of inclusion, fun, beauty and desireableness. I don't mind because it's all good and I tape free to air and fast forward the ads. 

I was talking to my pal this morning (of Nigerian ethnicity) and was saying why are Aboriginals, Maori and Native Americans always missed out (from both TV and advertising). We need more stuff with them in and less stuff with blacks in. In the USA Latinos and Native Americans need more publicity.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Aren't most of us in mixed race marriages, and don't we all have mixed race children?

There are too many examples of white supremacists married to or in relationships with Asian women for ‘aren’t most of us in mixed race marriages’ to be regarded as proof positive of being racist.

• Haha 2

On 11/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are countries with a single culture with a monolithic population. However, in this age of increased cooperation and communication, countries having mixed population with multiple cultures are seen commonly. These countries reflect multiculturalism with a majority culture that is the culture of the majority population whereas immigrants coming over to the country represent minority cultures. There are two distinct ways in which minorities try to look and feel like the majority. These processes are called assimilation and integration. There are many who treat these processes as being similar or even interchangeable. However, there are subtle differences between assimilation and integration that will be highlighted in this article.

Integration

Integration is a two way process where there are cross influences from both the cultures and both change a small bit to accept the minority culture into the majority culture. This is a process that requires acceptance of the laws and ways of the host country by the people of the minority culture without giving up on their own laws and ways. This happens with modification in both the cultures. However, this is possible in a situation where there are no antagonistic feelings between the two cultures and both accommodate the viewpoints of each other in a bid to live harmoniously together. Integration is a process where the minority cultures take something in from the majority culture to become a part of the majority culture retaining their identity.

Assimilation

Assimilation is a process of absorbing minority communities into the ways and views of the majority community in a multicultural society. This is absorption that takes place in a one way direction as the minority communities are required to learn the customs and traditions of the majority community giving up their own or modifying them to become acceptable to the majority community. Assimilation has become a dirty word in some ways as it asks people belonging to a minority culture to give up on some aspects of their culture to adopt the ways of the majority culture to be accepted by the majority community. Thus, assimilation happens to be a process where the ethnic minority loses some of its features and adopts some of the features of the majority to appear like the majority community.

• Assimilation is an attempt made by ethnic minorities, to adopt the customs and traditions of the majority community so that they become similar to the majority culture.

• Integration is the process whereby ethnic minorities are absorbed into a majority culture.

• Integration is taking the minorities into the mainstream so that they get access to the same opportunities that are available to the majority community.

• Assimilation is a give and take process as both the majority community, as well as minority communities get affected in the process and both become a part of the larger culture.

• In integration, it is the minority community that tries to look like the majority community by giving up on some aspects of its culture.

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-integration-and-vs-assimilation/

When non white English national football team players suffer online racial abuse after missing penalties l, is that an example of failure to integrate or assimilate? 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

"I married one so I can't be racist, can I?"

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Integration

Assimilation

So...do you understand the difference between integration and assimilation....which isn't racist?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are too many examples of white supremacists married to or in relationships with Asian women for ‘aren’t most of us in mixed race marriages’ to be regarded as proof positive of being racist.

Name one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Andrew Anglin, he of founding ‘The Daily Stormer’ fame is one.

You’ll find more if you search ‘white supremicist, Asian women’ 

It’s a thing.

Does he post on here? Might have seen him in the fishing section.

• Love It 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Odd, I have admitted that I must be a racist after you convinced me that I was and now you are saying that I am denying it !!!!!!!!

This racism thing is well confusing 

no racists deny the things they say and do are racist - admitting you are a racist doesn't alter your behaviour or the criteria.