OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK

Scott

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even when it's non white people doing it?

All hate, bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, prejudice and stereotyping is wrong. 

I do wonder about those who ask the whataboutory type of questions as you have here. 

Why would you believe I think otherwise?

Edited by Bluespunk
Punctuation and missing word
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You believe every person is your equal, and you may be right.

I'm in the top 0.5% of the world, and know hardly anyone is my equal!

Believing one to be superior because of personal traits is one thing.

We are all entitled to personal delusions I suppose…

And to get back on topic…

Discrimination because of creed, colour, orientation, gender, gender identity or any other feature of a person’s identity by anyone is always wrong. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Cannot see any evidence of offence here, seeing discussion, and rightly so.

Faux outrage at its finest.

It's amazing tht everything on that list is clearly apparent in many of the posts. - I love the repeated use of "faux outrage" .. it is just denial or #15.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

All hate, bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, prejudice and stereotyping is wrong. 

I do wonder about those who ask the whataboutory type of questions as you have here. 

Why would you believe I think otherwise?

Because apparently according to some ( not necessarily on this forum ) only white people can be racist.

https://www.nas.org/blogs/article/where_did_we_get_the_idea_that_only_white_people_can_be_racist

Where Did We Get the Idea That Only White People Can Be Racist?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We have evidence here.

People looking to be offended over the a discussion of factual racism in the UK.

23 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Cannot see any evidence of offence here, seeing discussion, and rightly so.

Faux outrage at its finest.

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

It's amazing tht everything on that list is clearly apparent in many of the posts. - I love the repeated use of "faux outrage" .. it is just denial or #15.

Hi kwilco,

Your post is a little too cryptic for me, perhaps you would elaborate for clarification.

To what "list" in my post are you referring to?

Glad you love  my wording choice of "faux outrage" now in triple form.

What exactly is in denial?

And lastly, #15, is this a reference to a bus route, meal on a menu, queue number for immigration?

It has me beat.

Kind regards

Paul 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Because apparently according to some ( not necessarily on this forum ) only white people can be racist.

https://www.nas.org/blogs/article/where_did_we_get_the_idea_that_only_white_people_can_be_racist

That’s an odd statement given that a number of members, myself included, very clearly stated the idea only white people can be racist is patently wrong.

I guess that’s why you inserted (not necessarily on this forum).

Your ‘outrage addiction’ has driven you to arguing about a point of view nobody here has expressed. @Paul Cattontake note.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s an odd statement given that a number of members, myself included, very clearly stated the idea only white people can be racist is patently wrong.

I guess that’s why you inserted (not necessarily on this forum).

Your ‘outrage addiction’ has driven you to arguing about a point of view nobody here has expressed. @Paul Cattontake note.

Take note of what? And why?

More crypticism.????‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Take note of what? And why?

More crypticism.????‍♂️

Nothing cryptic at all, just the latest example of the outrage and offense you claim doesn’t exist.

Importing claimed ‘off forum’ views to insert whataboutary and to feed to need to be offended.

Anything at all to avoid discussing the topic of the thread, including feigned confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nothing cryptic at all, just the latest example of the outrage and offense you claim doesn’t exist.

Importing claimed ‘off forum’ views to insert whataboutary and to feed to need to be offended.

Anything at all to avoid discussing the topic of the thread, including feigned confusion.

I don't believe the post from @thaibeachlovers to be an example of "outrage and offense", more a discussion point.

The topic of the thread is "OTHERED: How racism, xenophobia and religious discrimination were woven into the fabric of the UK"  yet the focus of the article appears to be centered around illegal migrants, lawful refugees and "trashy" woke journalism.

"In the summer of 2020, Black Lives Matter protests swept through the United Kingdom, demanding the nation weed out systemic racism across its institutions. England’s footballers took the knee at every Euro 2020 match, books on racial injustice sold out, and the government agreed to hold inquiries. A racial reckoning was coming.

Two years on, the urgency to find equitable paths forward appears to have been lost. The government is pressing ahead with plans to send to Rwanda hundreds — eventually tens of thousands — of men who arrive in the country from the Middle East, Africa and Asia seeking asylum. The government calls them “illegal” migrants because they arrive by boat. In reality, most are refugees. At the same time, the UK has opened its doors to more than 100,000 Ukrainians since Russia launched its war."

IMO, the UK doesn't have the topical behavior woven in, perhaps a little bit of fluff lingering in pockets from a bygone era. 

Kind regards

Paul 

Edited by Paul Catton

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I’ve not seen that on this thread, so it appears to be an element of deflection being introduced.

Also I asked where you got the idea I subscribed to the whataboutary question you asked. My posts have suggested no such thing. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Possibly I misspelled whataboutary
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, proton said:

If it's so racist xenophobic and discriminatory why are foreigners so desperate to to go there. How many thousands of illegals is it now just on the channel crossing this year? So racist we send the RNLI to go out and pick them up then send them to 3 star hotels when they have no right to be in the UK at all, madness.

I’m trying to figure out what relevant point you are trying to make by, once again, ranting about migrants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m trying to figure out what relevant point you are trying to make by, once again, ranting about migrants.

The OP was headlined under sensationalism, by "trashy" woke journalism, yet the body of the article was illegal immigration by economic migrants as opposed to bona-fide war torn refugees.

How hard is that to fathom by a Scholar?

Edited by Paul Catton
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The simple point is one that even you should be able to understand, is that if the UK is so racist etc, why are so many paying thousands to traffickers to get in there illegally? From countries not at war like Albania, and coming from France, a safe country -but without the handouts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Simple test that just occured to me - and it is directed at YOU, the members of AN.

I have a German Passport. This forum is English speaking. That means that the majority of the members are either British, American - maybe some Australians (rare, but some very nice chaps) and a very very few Danish, Swedish etc. - but lets say the vast majority is either British or American. That's for sure not far from the truth.

Ask yourself: Does the factor that I am German affect you in any way while communicating with me ? (WWII related or just out of the blue). Nobody has ever met me in person (most probably). Think honestly about it. I cannot help but saying that there might have been some influence from some answers (or no answers) - at least I suspected that. Sort of prejudice on my part ? Maybe. Over-sensitivity ? Maybe. Actually there is no need to answer - it is only a kind of invitation to self reflexion fitting the topic.